What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AWESOME!!! Tech might cancel a game to prevent airing on LHN

Care to elaborate? I don't see any scenario that would lead the Pac into a position where it would "have" to take anybody.

Not completely sure. But if the Big XII/B1G all go to 14+, I don't see how we could truly compete with just 12

Not completely sure. But if the Big XII/B1G all go to 14+, I don't see how we could truly compete with just 12

I agree and the problem I see, is that I'm not sure there are any programs in or near our conference footprint, that add value to the conference.

Well if it comes to it, we might not have any other choice. There are worse options out there than TT

TT is a lot better team in the Big 12 than there are in the PAC12. They get solid Texas recruits becuase they're in Texas and play the other Texas schools and they're on Texas TV sets. That won't be the case if they're away games are against teams in the pacific northwest.

I'm surprised when I see a picture of chip brown and don't see an orange stain around his mouth

Not unless we go into the state of Texas.

This scares me, but I think you are correct. I take comfort in the fact that I think when this all goes down (4 super conferences), I think the 4th conference will be either the Big 12 or the ACC (or some mixture of the two). I also think that as long as Larry Scott is our commish, he carries a sour taste in his mouth from dealings with the folks in Austin. There might be an opportunity to move into Texas by picking up Tech and Rice. I don't know that much about Tech's academics (except for their world class bellringing program) but Rice is top notch and would give us access to Houston (oh, and opportunities for those of us here to see the Buffs play!).

This scares me, but I think you are correct. I take comfort in the fact that I think when this all goes down (4 super conferences), I think the 4th conference will be either the Big 12 or the ACC (or some mixture of the two). I also think that as long as Larry Scott is our commish, he carries a sour taste in his mouth from dealings with the folks in Austin. There might be an opportunity to move into Texas by picking up Tech and Rice. I don't know that much about Tech's academics (except for their world class bellringing program) but Rice is top notch and would give us access to Houston (oh, and opportunities for those of us here to see the Buffs play!).

It would be Tech and Houston, I think. Fortunately, they are both getting a lot of funding for both facilities and also to raise their academics. TTU, for example, is on a path to make sure they're Tier 1 and also get AAU membership.

It would be Tech and Houston, I think. Fortunately, they are both getting a lot of funding for both facilities and also to raise their academics. TTU, for example, is on a path to make sure they're Tier 1 and also get AAU membership.

UH is getting their act together as well. My brother briefly played for them in the early 2000s, and they were like a giant CU Denver. They were a comuter school with virtually no activities on campus. They're improving academically, and trying to make an effort to transform into more of a traditional university.

Houston would be giddy if that happened and I think it makes some sense for the Pac-14/16. UofH is really efforting to upgrade athletics and academics, in an attempt to be attractive to someone when the ballon goes up. They join the BigEast in 2013 but it's clear that the BigEast is not going to survive as a football conference.

UH is getting their act together as well. My brother briefly played for them in the early 2000s, and they were like a giant CU Denver. They were a comuter school with virtually no activities on campus. They're improving academically, and trying to make an effort to transform into more of a traditional university.

Yeah, you don't hear as much "Cougar High" talk anymore.

I agree and the problem I see, is that I'm not sure there are any programs in or near our conference footprint, that add value to the conference.

Nope. Wrong. Don't get caught up in the expand just to expand mindset. The PAC 12 has a strangle hold on every major metropolitan area in half of the time zones in the continental US with a central footprint in a state which has the highest population and largest economy in the country. The PAC 12 will dictate its expansion policy and the rest of college athletics will simply have to like it.

Nope. Wrong. Don't get caught up in the expand just to expand mindset. The PAC 12 has a strangle hold on every major metropolitan area in half of the time zones in the continental US with a central footprint in a state which has the highest population and largest economy in the country. The PAC 12 will dictate its expansion policy and the rest of college athletics will simply have to like it.

so we add University of Miami, Boston College, University of Houston and TCU and call it a day?

Also, don't get caught up in feeling that things are good as they are and we don't need to change with the times. The Pac-10 fell into that trap and stagnated for a long while before Larry Scott came on board. No conference championship game. Bad media contract with little outreach beyond the western time zone. No post-season basketball tournament (then there was one, then there wasn't, then there was again).

Let's say that it looks like 3 power conference are making the move to 16 teams. With that, the NCAA will start allowing a semi-final round for the conference football championship. Those would be 2 marquee games a year that are worth millions in media and sponsorship plus gaining a ton of exposure for those conference. Do we want to be the conference that says, "No thanks. We're happy at 12 and the setup that's in place. You guys go ahead with your 4-team playoffs. Oh, yeah, and we want to revisit that Rose Bowl discussion so that our champion plays the BiG 16 champ in it every year and you make the national championship playoff work around that."

Sure, but in terms of prestige the Pac12 may not be seen as the powerhouse it should be seen as, at least in football since that's the only sport that really matters to TV (and maybe a little bit of bball).

I think a lot of the decision of CFB rests on how the Big10 reacts more so than the Pac12. It's fortunate for us that the Pac12 is tied to the Big10. If the Big10 goes to 14 that would dictate more to CFB than if the Pac did.

They are saying the 4 team playoff could be worth 400-500MM. You can be damn sure that the Pac12 is going to do what it can so that they'll get some of that money ever year.

Also, don't get caught up in feeling that things are good as they are and we don't need to change with the times. The Pac-10 fell into that trap and stagnated for a long while before Larry Scott came on board. No conference championship game. Bad media contract with little outreach beyond the western time zone. No post-season basketball tournament (then there was one, then there wasn't, then there was again).

Let's say that it looks like 3 power conference are making the move to 16 teams. With that, the NCAA will start allowing a semi-final round for the conference football championship. Those would be 2 marquee games a year that are worth millions in media and sponsorship plus gaining a ton of exposure for those conference. Do we want to be the conference that says, "No thanks. We're happy at 12 and the setup that's in place. You guys go ahead with your 4-team playoffs. Oh, yeah, and we want to revisit that Rose Bowl discussion so that our champion plays the BiG 16 champ in it every year and you make the national championship playoff work around that."

The Pac gets left out of the party because we only have 12 teams? You serious, Clark?

The Pac gets left out of the party because we only have 12 teams? You serious, Clark?

Not the point I was making. The point I was making was about being left behind in terms of media coverage, revenue and interest from recruits. It happened before to this conference. It got fixed, but you can't assume that it was a final solution regardless of how market conditions might change.

You make valid points, but it doesn't change the facts with respect to the conference footprint, and how fast this area of the country is growing population wise. Even with the huge perks that came with expansion, I think this conference is extraordinarily undervalued from a football and basketball perspective. We just happen to be in the bottom of the sine curve for athletics in the conference. Colorado and Washington are both top 25 football programs that have been down, and I also think that Arizona State is a power program waiting to happen. I think basketball is about to have a renaissance in this conference in the next year or two. Once this conference is running on all cylinders with respect to football and basketball, it will easily rival the other power conferences even if they have more total members.

Last edited:
Bryan Fischer @BryanDFischerReply Retweet Favorite ·More
The internet > LHN. RT @mattsarz: Texas Tech-Texas St. to air on ESPN3 bit.ly/Omb33F
:lol: Wow.

It is hard to see around DeLoss Dodds' belt buckle.....

Here is what every team not in the vomit orange should do. When they are going to be on LHN, and they see a camera filming them on the sideline, that is the time scratch your ass vigourously, pick you nose or emphatically adjust your johnson...

That would just get over half the Longhorns excited. Not a good plan.

You can always make the argument that adding teams to the conference will enhance the conference revenue. The problem is does each team added increase overall revenue by more than they recieve in revenue, in other words do the other schools end up making more money or less money.

Most if not all of the schools I have heard mentioned to add to the PAC leave me questioning if they would result in increased revenues for each of the other schools. TT is an interesting question but in Texas UT is always going to be "it." Taking any other Texas school without the horns makes your conference look like a second tier conference. The only exception to this is aTm going to the SEC which already has its status cemented and aTm being a huge #2 in Texas.

I don't buy the argument that the PAC would be forced to go to 16. The PAC now completely dominates the TV markets from the Rocky Mountains on to the Pacific. The NCAA and/or any kind of updated BCS organization is not going to sacrifice that segment of the national TV market because someone thinks all the conferences should have 16. The PAC also has a strong and long-standing relationship with the Big 10. I don't see any indication that the Big 10 is excited about expanding past where they are right now. In fact, the only thing I could see motivating them to make that move would be Notre Dame. If they could get the Domers they would take them and likely one other school to balance. That still doesn't bring them to 16 either. Absolutely no way that any plan advances without the PAC and the Big 10 included in the deal.

Back