What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Awini to LB

Gillam doesn't help you in the training room or in street clothes. He is a very good inside backer but is undersized and injury prone.

Gillam has had one healthy year and one plagued by injury. How is that enough to now label him injury prone?

I'm just confused as to what your point is with Rippy. Your response with a "FIFY" was that Awini could take Rippy's scholarship and I'm not quite sure what that even means. Then you said "Rippy will either prosper under JL or leave". It seems there's no middle ground with Rippy for you. He's either a guy that flourishes or leaves the program? Why? I'm just confused.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone on D has a clean slate. If the light bulb finally turns on for Rippy, than he should be a solid player for us under JL. If he continues with the same attitude that many people on this site portray him as having in the past, then he'll be nothing but a depth guy and special teams player.

Historical info perhaps needed here.
Last year at this time, people were playing the depth chart game and Rippy was penciled in to start. I pointed out that was unlikely, given that he wasn't committed to it, and that coaches had Olugbode penciled in. This caused much hate and fury, but proved out to be 100% true.

A few days ago, Rippy was penciled back on top of the depth chart in the "front seven" thread, again.

In the above post that you reference, it said that Awini might take Rippy's spot. I was simply pointing out that Rippy doesn't have a spot. He's got a scholarship. Olugbode has a spot, and it certainly can be argued that his spot could be up for grabs (as I believe they all are). But Rippy has no spot at this point, other than a roster spot.

I went on to say that I think our new DC and LB coach will likely get the most out of Rippy, and we need that.
Leavitt is not the kind of guy to let this back burner. He'll either get it out of Rippy or I think Rippy would choose to not coast as he did in the past.

And for the record, I have nothing against Rippy. If he steps up, I am all in. But LB is a spot where we need people to step up. We are thin at best and our most highly rated guy at the position has been a complete non-factor thus far. He is entering his 4th year. Time to step up or step out.

Ok, fair enough holic. I am right there with you. I hope the light turns on and Rippy figures it out under JL. Him playing to his potential would really give this defense a boost.

What is Gillam's weight now? Has he put some back on? To play Mike, I think you need to be at least 225, 230. Otherwise blockers swallow u up.

What is Gillam's weight now? Has he put some back on? To play Mike, I think you need to be at least 225, 230. Otherwise blockers swallow u up.

To give you an idea, Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are both right at about 240. Obviously that's the NFL and Gillam doesn't need to be that heavy, but being at least 230 would be nice

To give you an idea, Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are both right at about 240. Obviously that's the NFL and Gillam doesn't need to be that heavy, but being at least 230 would be nice
Idk man, maybe they are listed at that weight, look bigger than that.

In my brief research, most quarterbacks who switch positions, switch to WR, P/K Returner or RB. Very rarely do they go from QB to defense. I did find this article on Anthony Barr who went from RB to LB very successfully. But very rarely do you find a QB who moves to LB. Of course, the Buffs had a very successful "do over" between '89/'90 and '90/'91 with Ron Woolfork switched from QB to OLB. So it can be done.

Dizon was a rb.

Let's face it. Awini is not a QB at any program not named Air Force or Georgia Tech. Had was dubbed and "Athlete" by the recruiting services and could have easily played defense, had he not chosen to go to AF. The reason you're brief research, DBT, didn't find many examples of this kind of switch is because guys who play QB for a bigger program are typically being recruited there as a QB. They don't possess the physical attributes needed to play the LB position. Had Awini gone to CSU, Vandy, or any of the other programs that offered him, he would have been a RB, WR, DB or LB.

Years ago Ronnie Woolfork made a very successful switch from QB to LB for CU.

He's a big dude, even today. Ron is a very solid 250+ and he's every bit of 6'3". If Awini is, as reported, 6'2" and 220 lbs, he's got the right size to be a linebacker.

Wasn't Ron an olb? Seems like he rushed the qb quite a bit. I wish we had a Ted Johnson at Mike, his neck was like a tree trunk lol.

These sorts of things seem to happen when it's extremely likely that the guy wasn't going to work out at QB rather than it's extremely likely that he'll ever contribute at all at the new position.

Does he have the speed to be a tweener safety/LB, kind of like Brian Iwuh was for us when we ran that 4-2-5. Usually athletic QBs translate to Safety the best on defense with reads and calls they need to make/watch for.

I see this as plenty of upside, with little downside. Awini is a very good athlete, and obviously bright. I'm game, bet he is also.

Maybe throw in an occasional slash play on O to compliment. Goal line stuff. Fire it all up! Let's get this party started!

LB needs help even with Gillam healthy

Awini's move is fine. The fact that we just moved Shaver from DE to MLB is a bigger red flag. That's not a normal position change, and not the progression he was recruited for. That means they know they're thin there.

Awini's move is fine. The fact that we just moved Shaver from DE to MLB is a bigger red flag. That's not a normal position change, and not the progression he was recruited for. That means they know they're thin there.

I'm going to have to disagree, I think Shaver is going to be a great fit at LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We know they're thin at LB, so I would hope the coaching staff does. However, you have to think about the fact that they will most likely be running a different defensive scheme, which requires different body types on the DL from last year. If Shaver is truly 6'3" 235, like he's listed, that fits a MLB more than a DE anyway.

Back