What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bakhtiari on the 2012 Buffs

Sounds like a bunch of the players forgot a part of this.

Part of a college coach's job, is to require his charges to remember this very thing and lead, cajole or mandate they respect ! It ain't the NFL, where party-time leads to a cut-off of the BIG PAYCHECK. WB&CO never grasped that concept.

Not everyone is a natural leader or, in particular, an in-your-face type of leader. He was probably not well-suited for the captain role.

Another part of a college coach's job, is to cultivate and develop leadership (See HCMM for a prime example) among his players. WB&CO were just one gigantic FUBAR with regards to anything college FB-related.

Part of a college coach's job, is to require his charges to remember this very thing and lead, cajole or mandate they respect ! It ain't the NFL, where party-time leads to a cut-off of the BIG PAYCHECK. WB&CO never grasped that concept.

Another part of a college coach's job, is to cultivate and develop leadership (See HCMM for a prime example) among his players. WB&CO were just one gigantic FUBAR with regards to anything college FB-related.

I hate to agree with you, but the biggest issue with the last staff was that they did not get the difference between the NFL and college. They didn't understand how to develop players, that most of their team wouldn't have the discipline to handle their own **** because they are way to young. They also seemed to overlook the way the NFL can mandate all parts of your life down to OTA's in a way college just cant. That is a big reason we went backwards from year 1 to year two under them.

This whole article along with the Yuri Wright stuff should illustrate to people why, even if they felt last years coaches deserved 1 more year, that we would have only gotten worse in that time. The off season would have been lost again this year and the only real place that there was a chance for improvement would have been in locker-room chemistry as more of the "last guy's" players were forced out of the program. Unfortunately given how much ass-kissing and politicking that was done within the player ranks by the last staff I am not sure that would have even taken place.

I think you're on to something here. Why didn't the "captain" try to do anything about other players' actions? Season long captains are not only on duty on gamedays.

One reason Bak would have kept his mouth shut more than he should have was the ostracizing of hawkins' era players. The locker-room was very much decided last year between us/them and if you gave the coach so much as a window they'd sit you to get one of their guys in. In that case the smart play is usually to just shut up and go about your job, which it sounds like is what Bak did.

I found his comments sad nd a bit strange.

Sad that a player would feel that way following a career that preparred him for the NFL. Strange in that he was a team captain. I don't remember the news about a players only meeting calling out this stuff by the team captains? Maybe the level of dysfunction was so bad it would have been an exercise in futility, but I expect captains to lead.

Anyway, hopefully the cycle of dysfunction is broken.
I'm glad the track record of this program putting out some good NFL O line guys continues and glad David is doing it on a team I root for on Sundays.

Back