What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BasketBuffs History Week: Bob Doll, Ken Charlton & Jay Humphries

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Yesterday we discussed three Buffs that laid the groundwork for the CU basketball program in the late '30s and early '40s. Today, we're going to touch up on one more member of that generation as well as discussing two other Buffs who should be a little more well known to CU basketball fans.

BOB DOLL

* 1941-42 All-American

Bob “Ichabod” Doll was named an All-American for the Buffs in 1942 and was considered the big-play man for coach Frosty Cox’s 1941-42 Big Seven champs. Doll, along with fellow All-American Leason McCloud, lead CU to the NCAA Western Tournament finals and a 16-2 record during his senior year. Doll was a unanimous All-Big Seven selection and was honored on All-American teams from Look, Pic and Time magazines.

Along with being an All-American, he was named MVP of the New York’s Metropolitan Tournament as a sophomore and was part of CU’s three conference titles in a four year span. That season the Buffs got bids to both the NCAA and NIT tournaments, leading the team to the NIT championship and being named Tournament MVP after averaging 15.5 points per game.

He was drafted by the St. Louis Bombers of the BAA and played for the Boston Celtics for two seasons as well, averaging 8.4 points and 1.4 assists per game for his four-year BAA/NBA career.

B]KEN CHARLTON

* 1962-63 All-American
* 1962-63 Academic All-American
* 1962-63 Big 8 All-Conference First Team
* 1962-63 Big 8 All-Tournament Team
* 1961-62 Big 8 All-Conference First Team
* 1961-62 Big 8 All-Tournament Team
* 1960-61 Big 8 All-Conference First Team
* 1960-61 Big 8 All-Tournament Team
* Member of CU Hall of Fame

[/B]A prolific scorer and rebounder who battled chronic knee problems while at Colorado, you sometimes wonder how good Ken Charlton could have been if he had been healthy his entire career. Coach Sox Walseth said it best saying, “On a leg and a half, he’s better than anyone else in the Big Eight.” Currently twelfth all time on the Buffs scoring list and eleventh on the school’s rebound list, Charlton also excelled in the classroom as he was named an Academic All-American as well in 1963.

Charlton was also a three time member of the AP Big 8 All-Conference First Team and the All Big 8 Tournament Team. As a result of that, he was a fourth round pick of the Cincinnati Royals in the 1963 NBA Draft.

JAY HUMPHRIES/[URL]

* 1983-84 Honorable Mention All-American
* 1982-83 Honorable Mention All-American
* 1983-84 Big 8 All-Conference First Team

Probably the most exciting player for Colorado in the 1980s, Jay Humphries was twice named Honorable Mention All-American while representing the school. Humphries is all over the Colorado record book as he is the all-time assist and steal leader for the university and also finds his way to be the 14th leading scorer all-time. Humphries lead the nation in steals in 1983 with 115, setting a school record that still stands. In 1984 he wasn’t able to top those numbers with only 101 steals, but that was good enough for the second best season in Colorado school history.

Humphries was also named to the All-Big 8 First Team and was twice named Big 8 Player of the Week. The Phoenix Suns drafted him 13th overall in the 1984 NBA Draft. He played for 11 seasons in the NBA and finished with career averages of 11.1 points and 5.5 assists per game.

I knew that Humphries played in the nba, but I didn't realize he lasted 11 seasons.

Humphries gets lost in the crowd sometimes. I'm not sure why. It could be that the basketball team was so horrible at that time and for several years thereafter. I still maintain that he's the #2 best modern day CU player, just behind Chauncey.

Humphries gets lost in the crowd sometimes. I'm not sure why. It could be that the basketball team was so horrible at that time and for several years thereafter. I still maintain that he's the #2 best modern day CU player, just behind Chauncey.

Agreed (although we're going to have one player tomorrow who, statistically, deserves to be up there as well). Earlier today BupsJones & I were talking on twitter about if CU needs to retire another number to go along with #20 and #22. Of all the candidates, Jay Humphries #24 might be the best one.

Back