What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baxter the USC special teams coach is available

Not because we felt bad. When the **** did I say that?

HCMM wanted him. He likely looked at our coaching history and said "ehhh IDK doesn't seem to secure or safe" and coach said how about 250K and he said ok.

Lmfao at the idea Neinas would only come here for 250k.

Bohn obviously thought a quality staff was important which is why he offered such a high salary pool number. Then MacIntyre hires a bunch of his guys and.Toby fckn Neinas and we're stuck paying that regardless of who Mac brought in.

Did Niemas do something so outrageous that cost us games? Were there fundamental coaching flaws that give the staff a reason to fire him? Did he do something so bad that you have to fire him? If not, he deserves the chance to grow and get better as a coach.

Idk about everybody else, but I would hope that our expectations are more than "he didn't lose us a game." Talk about setting the bar low. How about helping win a game? Substantial improvement?

I just don't get the 250K salary for Neinas. If he was hired just as a favor, I could at least understand that way of thinking. The guy should be happy to be coaching in the BCS, why are they overpaying him on top of it? Is he getting paid for coaching the LB's too?

This surprises me as well. I think most don't understand how much money we're talking here. And we pay extremely favorable.compared to most of the conference.

We are also talking about an AD that publicizes budget cuts and literally prints media guides in black and white to save money.

Idk about everybody else, but I would hope that our expectations are more than "he didn't lose us a game." Talk about setting the bar low. How about helping win a game? Substantial improvement?

I know that in building THIS roster, you don't have the depth to have outstanding special teams. As the depth improves, the special teams should improve. Then he will be put in a "win a game for us" status.

I find it amazing how quick many on here are quick to judge a coaching staff that did not build this roster as it is comprised right now. This team as a whole showed great improvement in the fundamentals of the game....but they are suppose to have us at 8-4 playing in the Alamo Bowl in year 1? National championship year 2? Get real...this staff is in the building phase. This will fall on deaf ears I know, but come on.

I know that in building THIS roster, you don't have the depth to have outstanding special teams. As the depth improves, the special teams should improve. Then he will be put in a "win a game for us" status.

I find it amazing how quick many on here are quick to judge a coaching staff that did not build this roster as it is comprised right now. This team as a whole showed great improvement in the fundamentals of the game....but they are suppose to have us at 8-4 playing in the Alamo Bowl in year 1? National championship year 2? Get real...this staff is in the building phase. This will fall on deaf ears I know, but come on.

I can be patient with most of the staff... but not Neinas. We're talking about a 41 year old assistant who's highest level was New Mexico before Mac threw him a bone. He has a horrible track record coaching special teams and got demoted and later fired from NM. Then he moves up in the world to FCS Montana State. CU then deems him worthy of a 200k raise

I can be patient with most of the staff... but not Neinas. We're talking about a 41 year old assistant who's highest level was New Mexico before Mac threw him a bone. He has a horrible track record coaching special teams and got demoted and later fired from NM. Then he moves up in the world to FCS Montana State. CU then deems him worthy of a 200k raise

What significance do you believe your impatience holds?

I don't think Neinas has been so bad he should be fired. I also understand the importance of continuity in a coaching staff. If mm keeps Neinas I won't be diasappointed. But if mm thinks we can do better for$250k I would be excited to see we are aggressively going after the best staff we can. Replacing 1 coach who is just performing ok with a significantly better coach should not be a bad thing. Ucla just replaced their rb coach. That is the nature of this business. They get paid a ton, which makes up for the lack of job security

I don't think Neinas has been so bad he should be fired. I also understand the importance of continuity in a coaching staff. If mm keeps Neinas I won't be diasappointed. But if mm thinks we can do better for$250k I would be excited to see we are aggressively going after the best staff we can. Replacing 1 coach who is just performing ok with a significantly better coach should not be a bad thing. Ucla just replaced their rb coach. That is the nature of this business. They get paid a ton, which makes up for the lack of job security

Confused why you started the thread.Who gets fired then?

I don't have any personal issue with Neinas. I would only like to see Neinas replaced if we can significantly improve the staff. Either bring in a better recruiter or a better special teams coach. That goes for the whole staff if we can improve it.

Do you guys even watch the games? How many times did we give up TDs or huge field position swings with special teams? That is not acceptable for any coach, especially one that doesnt recruit especially well. The return game, while definitely not spectacular, is dependent on an athlete returner. I get that we dont have one. The coverage teams are the concerning issue.

What has Neinas done that merits all the scorn? I know...."CSEWE, blah, blah blah...OSU blah, blah blah"---both games were instances of experienced ST performers blowing execution. I saw Oliver improving on: KO's, his consistency and staying fresh all year; only one blocked punt and FG; no points taken away by stupid penalties; no fumbled punts; KO return yardage improved on average (even with a "slow" FR returner); decent coverages and he recruited the exican version of Sebastian Janikowski...I'd give him a "B-" overall.

Ryan Severson ran it out of the end zone how many times?

I really hope we look to upgrade the staff after this coming season. loyalty is fine, but it is pretty obvious our staff has deficiencies.

Lmfao at the idea Neinas would only come here for 250k.

Bohn obviously thought a quality staff was important which is why he offered such a high salary pool number. Then MacIntyre hires a bunch of his guys and.Toby fckn Neinas and we're stuck paying that regardless of who Mac brought in.
I'd like to point out that out of the nine assistants Chris Petersen has hired at UW so far, eight of them are from Boise

I'd also like to point out that it appears that WG grades on a Harvard curve

If we are going to get a kickass assistant it HAS to be this year. What good assistant would want to go to a ****ty team after next year's ****ty record? If MM has to fire assistants his seat will be warming. He is going to be here for 5 years, but may not get the vote of confidence by extension if we regress in W/L; and given how ****ty STs were this year, we can give up long TDs that will decide games again (look at that CSU cluster**** this year).

This surprises me as well. I think most don't understand how much money we're talking here. And we pay extremely favorable.compared to most of the conference.

We are also talking about an AD that publicizes budget cuts and literally prints media guides in black and white to save money.

Actually, No we dont. We are in the game - but we are no where near "favorable."

Oregon Pays some mother ****er named Tom Osborne 367K
OSU pays their guy 305K
UCLA 400K
UW's guy was making 300K at Florida (probably got a raise)
Utah was paying their departed ST coach 220K (after taxes and adjust for cost of living that is a lot better than 250K in Boulder).
Wazzu 226K (again a lot more money in Pullman and a state with NO income tax).

Lower than US:
ASU - Lorig 191K
Cal -Tommerdahl 205k
Arizona - Ragle 162K (first year as a college coach)

Edit - Pulled the whole staff numbers for fun, looks like we are in the Ball-park with most of the other public schools the outliers being (un-shockingly) Oregon and shockingly - Cal. UW and Wazzu have built in advantages in that they have no income tax which gives them a 10-13% head-start over the Cali schools and about 5% over us. Cal was the surprise though, one of the most costly areas in the country, high personal tax rates and an assitant pool that is about 6% lower than ours, maybe they are getting what they pay for.

Actually, No we dont. We are in the game - but we are no where near "favorable."

Oregon Pays some mother ****er named Tom Osborne 367K
OSU pays their guy 305K
UCLA 400K
UW's guy was making 300K at Florida (probably got a raise)
Utah was paying their departed ST coach 220K (after taxes and adjust for cost of living that is a lot better than 250K in Boulder).
Wazzu 226K (again a lot more money in Pullman and a state with NO income tax).

Lower than US:
ASU - Lorig 191K
Cal -Tommerdahl 205k
Arizona - Ragle 162K (first year as a college coach)

Edit - Pulled the whole staff numbers for fun, looks like we are in the Ball-park with most of the other public schools the outliers being (un-shockingly) Oregon and shockingly - Cal. UW and Wazzu have built in advantages in that they have no income tax which gives them a 10-13% head-start over the Cali schools and about 5% over us. Cal was the surprise though, one of the most costly areas in the country, high personal tax rates and an assitant pool that is about 6% lower than ours, maybe they are getting what they pay for.

All those guys also make more because they coach a position as well with the exception of Wazzu' s coach. And he has twenty years of ST experience as well as coaching in the SEC and at TT. He has also has the #1 ranked ST unit before. Let's not sugarcoat this, Neinas is overpaid. But the point is that we had a lot of money and the best we could get was Neinas.

All those guys also make more because they coach a position as well with the exception of Wazzu' s coach. And he has twenty years of ST experience as well as coaching in the SEC and at TT. He has also has the #1 ranked ST unit before. Let's not sugarcoat this, Neinas is overpaid. But the point is that we had a lot of money and the best we could get was Neinas.

I get that you hear 250k and go wow that is a lot. The sheer number of coaches on staff is fixed and is typically less than the positions that need to be coached so responsibilities will shift between coaches as will comp, it is not cut and dry the way we'd like it to be. Please note, I am not in anyway defending the job Toby is doing nor the value for money we are getting; but to say relative to his peer's he's over-paid or that we pay very favorably to the rest of the conference is flat out wrong. Toby is paid about average and we have an about average assistants pool. Furd, SC, UW, and Oregon all clearly pay more than we do everyone the next 8 teams are all fairly equal, really the only schools screwing their assistants when you figure in taxes and cost of living are Cal and to an extent UCLA.

The only area we made no improvement was special teams. I'd give our guy one more year. If we aren't noticeably better, he needs to go.

Can you also tell me what my GPA will be next year to?

Where will be beat next year? It's possible, but probable that we will be staying home.

We will be better, but I expect us to be competitive against everyone. No blowouts. The heat will come due to our crappy (again!) recruiting, poor STs and Folsom being a ghost town.

Us diehards will see the improvement, but casual fans won't show up next year. We are going to have to win without a rocking Folsom and that's tough to do.

Back