What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BCS Commish: "Status Quo is off the table"

I think 8 is the right number, 4 leaves out too many conference champs, 16 is too unwieldy. Take the BCS conference champs, fill out from rankings (not the coaches poll, which always sucks), and seed by rankings. Where to play? I'd like to see play at the highest ranked team, but this makes travel plans tough, OTOH they will be no matter what.

I think 8 is the right number, 4 leaves out too many conference champs, 16 is too unwieldy. Take the BCS conference champs, fill out from rankings (not the coaches poll, which always sucks), and seed by rankings. Where to play? I'd like to see play at the highest ranked team, but this makes travel plans tough, OTOH they will be no matter what.

and then you go and ruin it...

Your first idea was much, much better.

edit: oops, one was zbuff, the other azbuff. Got you mixed up. Sorry.

Last edited:
Whatever playoff system they go with I am confident they will do a good job ****ing it up.

Playoff?!?!?! That will destroy CFB as we know it, nobody will ever attend a regular season game again!!! CFB is PERFECT as it is!!!!! This is a dark day in sports.....

and then you go and ruin it...

Your first idea was much, much better.

edit: oops, one was zbuff, the other azbuff. Got you mixed up. Sorry.

Actually my post isn't all that different from az's, it just defines who is in those four bowls. The home game thing is just too hard to do, probably.

Pac-12 and Big Ten commissioners are going to push hard to lock in that our conference champs play each other in the Rose Bowl every year and the winner of that game plays in the final.

Pac-12 and Big Ten commissioners are going to push hard to lock in that our conference champs play each other in the Rose Bowl every year and the winner of that game plays in the final.

If you take the winners of the 4 BCS games and have a playoff, I really don't see any way people can bitch about the outcome. You'll have the possibility of two teams from the same conference, but also eliminate the possibility of a conference champion being left out in the cold. It's as close to a perfect solution as we can find. It keeps all the traditions that make college football great, and adds a system to crown a true national champion.

All hail azbuff for his marvelous idea!

If you take the winners of the 4 BCS games and have a playoff, I really don't see any way people can bitch about the outcome. You'll have the possibility of two teams from the same conference, but also eliminate the possibility of a conference champion being left out in the cold. It's as close to a perfect solution as we can find. It keeps all the traditions that make college football great, and adds a system to crown a true national champion.

All hail azbuff for his marvelous idea!

Especially if that moved all the big bowl games back to New Year's Day. I'd be so happy if that happened.

The obvious argument against this all encompassing awesome plan is that two teams will have to play a total of 16 games. That number goes to 18 once the inevitable expansion to a 14-game regular season is implemented. Still, that's just two teams. Not a compelling reason to not do it, IMO.

I like the idea that an early season loss may not end your season.
I like the idea that games in September can decide the national championship matchups. Games in September are *much* more interesting/enjoyable because of this.

I like the idea that games in September can decide the national championship matchups. Games in September are *much* more interesting/enjoyable because of this.

I think you missed the part where we solved the problem. It's now up to Larry Scott to make sure this gets implemented.

The bowl system isn't going to go away, regardless of our feelings. What about the current bowl system, with the winners of the four BCS bowls in a playoff?

Seriously, someone pick up the red phone and get this idea to Larry Scott NOWWWW!!!

I think you missed the part where we solved the problem. It's now up to Larry Scott to make sure this gets implemented.

Not happening.

"HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick and other college football officials Thursday agreed to eliminate eight-team and 16-team playoff proposals to determine the sport's future national champions, but settled on very little else during weeklong meetings at a beachside resort here."

Notre Dame? Why the hell are they in the talks? Here's my special consideration for ND, if they go undefeated against the top schedule in the country, only then do they get in. F ND!

Oh Christ, yes. That would be heaven.

Agreed. Four BCS bowls/playoff games on New Year's Day? Something like Sugar/Rose/Orange/Fiesta would be the greatest day of my year, every year. We would have to remove each bowl's selection abilities, however. As it stands now, I'd say the six (dammit Big East, you really still exist?) conference champions and the next two in the farce called the BCS rankings.

If you want playoffs watch the NFL. College football is unique and interesting from week one because every game could potentially put a team out of contention.

Playoffs don't answer the question of which team is best that year, only which of the teams that qualify is hottest at the end.
So I guess I could infer from your post that it doesn't matter if you improve as the year goes on. If you lose early, you're done and shouldn't have a chance to play for a championship. This just makes teams load up on patsies and produces the lame ass games we see at the start of the season. If you had ever experienced a college football playoff game, you would not have made this comment. The atmosphere is incredible...lose and you go home, just like the basketball tourney. By adding 4 at large teams, strength of schedule actually means something. This just creates better games and adds excitement to the pre-conference games. I personally could care less about the NFL. I watch but don't really care that much. I live for college football and a playoff that takes the subjectivity out of the hands of these idiot voters would make me very happy.

So I guess I could infer from your post that it doesn't matter if you improve as the year goes on. If you lose early, you're done and shouldn't have a chance to play for a championship. This just makes teams load up on patsies and produces the lame ass games we see at the start of the season. If you had ever experienced a college football playoff game, you would not have made this comment. The atmosphere is incredible...lose and you go home, just like the basketball tourney. By adding 4 at large teams, strength of schedule actually means something. This just creates better games and adds excitement to the pre-conference games. I personally could care less about the NFL. I watch but don't really care that much. I live for college football and a playoff that takes the subjectivity out of the hands of these idiot voters would make me very happy.

and, as has been argued ad nauseum, 4/120 teams in the playoffs is in NO WAY anywhere near comparable to 12/32 teams in a playoff. Any cheapening of the regular season that results is going to be minor and more than offset by the added excitement present in the post season.

For the mathy people:
in the current proposed plan, 3.3% of Div1 teams would make it ot the playoffs.
In the NFL, 37.5% of the teams make the playoffs.

In a worst case scenario as posited by Mtn and others, 16/120 teams make the playoffs. That is only 13.3%.

The far more likely max of the playoffs for the foreseeable future is 8/120, or 6.6% of Div1 Teams.

So ya, I'm not worried about the regular season. It is still gonna be EXTREMELY important. Hell, in some ways, MORE important because at the end of the year, MORE games will be relevant to the hunt for the national title.

Where do I begin? If we are going to pick the top 4 teams in the country at season's end, how does that create incentive to create tough non conference schedules? It will still be the same popularity contest at season's end, just with 4 teams instead of 2. Plus, we don't play 4 non conference games, we play 3, and with the Big 10(12) match-up that makes it essentially two non-conference games. Plus we already have a level of playoffs in place with conference championship games. Have I ever been to to a playoff college football game? Yes! Every damn week in college football is a playoff. That is the point! NFL games don't hold a candle to high profile regular season college football games.

Yes you can infer. I am sick of this pathetic give everybody a second chance, (third chance, fourth chance) mentality that means that losing doesn't really matter because everybody gets a trip to the playoffs anyways.

College football is special because every game matters. Lose early and you have to play perfect the rest of the way and hope somebody else stumbles. If you want to watch games that don't really matter in the big picture because all you have to do is get into the playoffs then watch the NFL or NCAA basketball.

To infer that because playoffs work for FCS that they are needed for BCS is ridiculous, you are comparing apples to oranges. A once every four year championship works for soccer and the olympics, lets do that in college football as well.

College football is a great game. Don't damage it by trying to make it "better."

Yes you can infer. I am sick of this pathetic give everybody a second chance, (third chance, fourth chance) mentality that means that losing doesn't really matter because everybody gets a trip to the playoffs anyways.

College football is special because every game matters. Lose early and you have to play perfect the rest of the way and hope somebody else stumbles. If you want to watch games that don't really matter in the big picture because all you have to do is get into the playoffs then watch the NFL or NCAA basketball.

To infer that because playoffs work for FCS that they are needed for BCS is ridiculous, you are comparing apples to oranges. A once every four year championship works for soccer and the olympics, lets do that in college football as well.

College football is a great game. Don't damage it by trying to make it "better."

I see you ignored my post in order to attack a straw man of 3d and fourth chances. As long as we can agree that you are saying things that aren't true (like the regular season not mattering), making your whole argument specious, I'm happy to let you continue to rant.

I see you ignored my post in order to attack a straw man of 3d and fourth chances. As long as we can agree that you are saying things that aren't true (like the regular season not mattering), making your whole argument specious, I'm happy to let you continue to rant.

Not ignoring at all. To me the term getting stronger as the season goes on means weak at the beginning, not playing a complete season.

Playoffs do not determine who was the best team that year, they determine who is hottest at the end of the teams who get into the playoff. Two completely different things.

Not ignoring at all. To me the term getting stronger as the season goes on means weak at the beginning, not playing a complete season.

Playoffs do not determine who was the best team that year, they determine who is hottest at the end of the teams who get into the playoff. Two completely different things.

Dude. That's not at all what I said. Try again.

We'll agree to disagree. But...Pathetic? Give me a break. Sounds like someones political views are getting in the way of rational thinking. Are you saying the Buffs in '01 shouldn't have had a chance to win it all because they got on a roll late? What if all the teams in'90 didn't lose for the Buffs In he last 3 weeks of the season that allowed us win the Nat'l championship? I appreciate your viewpoint and lengthy posts, unlike others here, but feel you are off base on this. I want the best team, at the end of the year, to be named the National Champion, like EVERY other sport played in collegiate athletics. Teams get better as the season progresses, if they lose early, let the undefeated teams
Prove they are better in a playoff. The better team wins...right?

Back