What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BDC: Still no plans to move CU-CSU games to campus

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Frustrating article.

But there was this little tidbit of hope (considering that CSU is selling well below its allotment and may be losing money):

There is a clause in the contract with the Denver Metro Sports Commission that would allow the schools out of the contract after the 2014 game is the DMSC does not average $250,000 in net revenues for the sponsorships for the game from 2011-2014. The DMSC can opt out at the same time if the schools are not averaging at least 80 percent capacity.

And then there's this posturing by CSU's Graham (if he doesn't like 2-for-1, I'm more than happy with 0 games):

"We're not the least bit interested in the kind of conversations that have existed historically where there would be two games in Boulder and one game in Fort Collins," Graham said. "We're not interested in that in any way, shape or form.

"So if there can be parity and equality in the conversation in the future when we've resolved any contractual partnerships we've got by playing in Denver, that's a possibility that we could explore."

http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_...no-plans-move-cu-csu-games-buffs-rams-college

Frustrating article.

But there was this little tidbit of hope (considering that CSU is selling well below its allotment and may be losing money):

There is a clause in the contract with the Denver Metro Sports Commission that would allow the schools out of the contract after the 2014 game is the DMSC does not average $250,000 in net revenues for the sponsorships for the game from 2011-2014. The DMSC can opt out at the same time if the schools are not averaging at least 80 percent capacity.

And then there's this posturing by CSU's Graham (if he doesn't like 2-for-1, I'm more than happy with 0 games):

"We're not the least bit interested in the kind of conversations that have existed historically where there would be two games in Boulder and one game in Fort Collins," Graham said. "We're not interested in that in any way, shape or form.

"So if there can be parity and equality in the conversation in the future when we've resolved any contractual partnerships we've got by playing in Denver, that's a possibility that we could explore."

http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_...no-plans-move-cu-csu-games-buffs-rams-college

It is funny that Captain Jack is posturing in the press for future contracts already. He sees the writing on the wall and is already trying to set the stage for CU being the bad guy and mainly responsible for the series being stopped. I can see it now, CU would not be fair and go for home and home games equally. Big bad CU. he sees our schedule limits with the new PAC 12 nine game schedule and knows we re going to need 2 for 1s or to end the series. He is an ass but is not dumb.

I would just grin ear to ear if the DMSC took the decision out of their hands and killed it because it wasn't profitable.

Colorado NEEDS to keep winning this thing to kill it.

I'm all for parity in scheduling when CSU becomes an equal, or even ballpark, program. In other words, never.

I would love to pound the lameies by 50 every year and CU fans to buy the CSU tickets and let CSU have the cash, and be the laughing stock sacrificial lambs year in and year out. 76,000 CU fans because they know it will be an ugly beatdown. I wonder if they would want out then?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

There is no reason to play CSU. It is not an attractive game to CU fans. Whenever we can get out of this albatross contract we should. We only have 3 OOC games. I hate wasting one on CSU.

This game and contract is Bohn's biggest failure IMO. He needs to find a way to clean up the mess he made. Fast.

We need people to boycott the game to lower the sponsor revenues enough for the cancellation clause to come into play. Then pressure the hell out of admin to drop the series permanently.

We need people to boycott the game to lower the sponsor revenues enough for the cancellation clause to come into play. Then pressure the hell out of admin to drop the series permanently.

I want to boycott the game and every year I say that this was my last but I'm weak.

Last edited:
It's a simple dollar equation. When it is a proven money-loser, CSU will break the contract. If/when they get their new stadium and need a high profile visitor, they will break the contract and move it back to campus.

The only way this gets broken from the CU side is if CU donors - the same donors who are sitting on their money vis-a-vis facilities - hand $$ over to Bohn for the explicit purpose of breaking this contract.

In the meantime, it's a likely-win every year, which we need. Relax, people.

Coach Sparkles loves the game!

"I truly believe that the CSU-CU battle should go on and should be scheduled from here on out," he said. "I think it's really good for all of Colorado, for both of our programs to be good, number one, and know (CU coach) Jon (Embree) will get those guys going. They do a great job up there."For both of our programs to be very good, I think it helps (the media), I think it helps our high school football programs. I think it helps the whole sports community and state of Colorado. So I'm 100 percent behind it. I think it's a great thing. Now where we play it, I think that's not for me to determine."

Read more:CSU's McElwain insists CU rivalry benefits the whole state - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/csu/ci_21...cu-rivalry-benefits-whole-state#ixzz24lPUliOC
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

It's a simple dollar equation. When it is a proven money-loser, CSU will break the contract. If/when they get their new stadium and need a high profile visitor, they will break the contract and move it back to campus.

The only way this gets broken from the CU side is if CU donors - the same donors who are sitting on their money vis-a-vis facilities - hand $$ over to Bohn for the explicit purpose of breaking this contract.

In the meantime, it's a likely-win every year, which we need. Relax, people.

+1

This game and contract is Bohn's biggest failure IMO. He needs to find a way to clean up the mess he made. Fast.

Extending Hawkins without modifying the buyout language is up there, too, but I agree. And I don't think he'll clean up anything because he sucks at negotiating. He gives up way too much and gets nothing in return.

I have finally quit on this game. Never thought I would, but I did not go last year and have no plans to go this year. I'm done with this game if it's not on campus.

The real question is who we can schedule for one-off road games if the series is cancelled.

As a student here now I like the CSU game but hate it at Sports Authority. The only reason I like it is because I have a lot of friends that go to CSU and its cool to meet up with them before the game and stuff like that. That said honestly due to it being at Sports Authority its my least favorite "home game" of the year. It is college football and unless it is sold out and a crazy atmosphere it should not be at a pro stadium. In the past couple years the atmosphere has been awful whereas when they were at Folsom it was actually a fun game and usually a somewhat easy W for the black n gold.

There is only one cure for this whole set up: The Buffs need to win and win big for the next 4 years. This will do two things

1. Remove the term rivalry, as that implies both teams have a chance at winning.

2. Make it so CSU fans don't want to go to the game. If they know they have no chance then the #'s on their side will be less than 15K, making it a financial loser for them.

At that point it will be time for contract adjustments.

I like the game but think it should be at the college stadiums. Maybe at such a point when both teams are top 25 caliber, having it in a bigger venue might work, but right now doesn't really make sense.

But it's the contract that was signed, so all the talk of breaking the contract sounds bad to me. Granted if there is a clause that isn't fulfilled, then we should reappraise it at that time.

Only having three non-conference games is an issue, and would rather we had 4 but still think the game is something that can be played in either situation, or at least in a rotational situation

This whole article just gets me upset and peeved off. Bohn and Phil DiStefano present zero leadership and lack any real fondness for the fan base. Not once did they point out that CU FANs bear the brunt of the nice profit for the RMS and we have supported the team in spite of the poor record.

It is time for Bohn to go - he is just a yes man not a leader.

Back