What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Beemer Places Fourth At Jim Click

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
ZESZLJKGTGLAWPV.20090828213509.jpg

articleImageBottom.jpg

Brianne Beemer

Photo Courtesy: CUBuffs.com
Beemer Places Fourth At Jim Click

Release: 04/05/2013 Courtesy: Linda Sprouse, Assistant SID
buffaloextras.jpg

articleExtraDivider.jpg

articleExtraDivider.jpg

TUCSON, Ariz. – University of Colorado senior Brianne Beemer finished strong on Friday to place fourth overall in the heptathlon at the Jim Click Combined Events.

Beemer put together a two-day personal best total of 5,362 points, which is currently the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] best score in the NCAA Division I. She was also the second-highest placing collegiate athlete in the meet. Nike’s Bette Wade won with 5,867 points. Arizona State’s Keia Pinnick was second (5,791) and Nike’s Ryann Krais placed third (5,781).

“I am pleased to start this year ahead of where I finished last year, while still leaving points in the track area,” Beemer said. “The season is shaping up well and I’m excited.”

Beemer’s day started with a ninth-place finish in the long jump. She recorded a mark of 17-6 which was less than half a foot short of her personal best (17-11.75). Beemer followed up that performance by throwing the javelin 113-5 to place ninth again. Her strongest event was the 800 where she finished third overall with a time of 2:12.16; the second fastest by a CU heptathlete ever. (Beemer has the record at 2:09.24.)

Redshirt freshman Abrianna Torres had a nice end to her first heptathlon as she finished seventh with 5,174 points. Torres started sixth in the long jump (18-7), but the throwing events have been a strong area for her, and after setting the heptathlon school record in the shot put on Thursday, she recorded the sixth-best javelin throw for a heptathlete at 126-3. Torres finished the day running 2:32.26 in the 800, which was 12[SUP]th[/SUP] overall.

“My first heptathlon in uniform is complete and it's a great mark for me to see not only how far I have come but also how much further I can go,” Torres said. “This was an awesome meet to compete at and I'm excited to see what this season has in store.”

Junior Genny Mayden placed 13[SUP]th[/SUP] overall with 4,399 points despite not competing in the 800. She placed seventh in the long jump (17-10) and was fifth in the javelin (122-04). Her javelin throw was the seventh best in CU combined events history. Senior Holly Odneal placed 14[SUP]th[/SUP] with 4,376 points.

On the men’s side, junior Brock Emory recorded a lifetime best 6,832 points in the decathlon to place sixth. He got off to a quick start, clocking a fourth-place finish in 15.01 in the 110-meter hurdles; which was also the seventh fastest in decathlon history.

“It's great putting in so much time and effort into something and it finally paying off,” Emory said. “It feels so good to improve my decathlon score. Now I'm looking forward to conference.”

Emory had a great showing in the discus throw and javelin, recording huge personal bests in both. He picked up a fourth-place finish in the discus with a toss of 131-2; surpassing his previous best throw of 117-9. Emory placed 12[SUP]th[/SUP] in the javelin, but once again had a giant PR with a mark of 156-5; his previous best was 138-1. Emory’s discus throw ranks fourth in CU decathlon history and javelin throw is 13[SUP]th[/SUP]. He faired decently in the pole vault, tying for 14[SUP]th[/SUP] after clearing 12-9.50. Emory finished the day in the 1,500 with a time of 4:52.58.

“This was a wonderful experience and we are certainly thankful for the opportunity to compete at such a great multi meet,” assistant coach Lindsey Malone said. “It was a hard fought battle today for all of the competitors. The team performed extraordinarily well and yet there is still room for improvement in the next training cycle before the Pac-12 Championships.

“Bri Beemer, Abrianna Torres and Brock Emory had the standout performances of the meet. Bri's new personal record is now 10th on the NCAA list. Abrianna posted a huge score for a freshman and should sit around 16th on the NCAA list. Brock improved his personal best by 653 points, which puts him in scoring range for the Pac-12 Championships in May.”

The Buffs are done at the Jim Click meet, but there will be several other athletes in action on Saturday. Part of the team will compete at the Air Force Relays at the U.S. Air Force Academy and Eileen Gehring and Lindsy Mattson will compete at the Sun Angel Track Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

JIM CLICK COMBINED EVENTS
Roy P. Drachman Stadium (Tucson, Ariz.)
CU Athletes Only

Women’s Heptathlon
Points: (1. Bette Wade, Nike, 5,867) 4. Brianne Beemer, 5,362; 7. Abrianna Torres, 5174; 13. Genny Mayden, 4,399; 14. Holly Odneal, 4,376; Gwen Ricco, DNF
Long Jump: (1. Erica Twiss, Kansas State, 19-9.75) 6. Torres, 18-7; 7. Mayden, 17-10.25; 9. Beemer, 17-6.25; 16. Odneal, 16-00.50
Javelin: (1. Ryann Krais, Nike, 132-10) 3. Torres, 126-3; 5. Mayden, 122-4; 9. Beemer, 113-5; 14. Odneal, 84-6
800-Meters: (1. Keia Pinnick, ASU, 2:10.64) 3. Beemer, 2:12.16; 12. Torres, 2:32.26; 13. Odneal, 2:33.16

Men’s Decathlon
Points: (1. Patrick Arbour, unattached, 7,593) 6. Brock Emory, 6,832; Jason DeWitt, DNF
110-Meter Hurdles: (1. Jake Arnold, Asics, 14.29) 4. Emory, 15.01; 17. DeWitt, 16.33
Discus: (1. Patrick Arbour, unattached, 166-09) 6. Emory, 131-02
Pole Vault: (1. Jake Arnold, Asics, 16-00.75) t14. Emory, 12-9.50
Javelin: (1. Pat Arbour, unattached, 214-4) 12. Emory, 156-05
1,500-Meter: (1. Jack Eckert, Iowa, 4:33.42) 8. Emory, 4:52.58

from cubuffs.com

Back