What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Benson and Bohn need to step up or get out of the way

BuffFan

All the talk on ESPN and local media is how CU is not committed to football. Benson and Bohn, it is time to shock the NCAA football world, or get out of the way, and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.

The best way for CU to improve the football team right away is through recruiting. The PAC 12 is loaded with good coaches right now. We need a blockbuster hire in order to stand up to the competition. Because our team is currently down, it is harder for us to recruit, therefor our hire has to be, that much better. Jones or any of the other current HC candidates will not out recruit 2\3 of the current PAC 12 coaches. ( and I think that number is generous. ) Some one who can stand toe to toe with Rich Rod in recruiting, is a bare minimum. ( Jones couldn’t do that.) CU needs to add another 1.5 million to the coaching salary pool and get a big name coach. Otherwise in three to four years when Hawkins 2.0 fails we will have another bloated salary to hold us back.

CU lost 2.6 million dollars in ticket sales last year, and that money does not return with a Hawkins 2.0 hire. However if you get a coach that excites people you stand a chance at getting some back. In reality Hawkins 2.0 probably sees a significant drop in sales next year as well, because people will decide to wait and see if the new HC can get the job done. Fan excitement about this team is probably at an all time low. Give the fans something to truly get excited about.

I know people will say we can’t afford this. I say we can’t afford not to. Two years ago we would have had an extra 2.6 million a year to get things done. What will the program look like three years from now, if we screw up this hire. The time for gambling on the next hot coach is over, hire the guy that guarantees to get the job done.

I believe you are mistaken here. CU did offer Jones 2.7 million plus a facilities requirement like we had with Bdzelik. That doesn't show lack of commitment to me. By comparsion, Wisconsin was paying Bielemia $2.5 million per season and he just got a $3.2/yr million deal at Arkansas.

All the talk on ESPN and local media is how CU is not committed to football. Benson and Bohn, it is time to shock the NCAA football world, or get out of the way, and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.

The best way for CU to improve the football team right away is through recruiting. The PAC 12 is loaded with good coaches right now. We need a blockbuster hire in order to stand up to the competition. Because our team is currently down, it is harder for us to recruit, therefor our hire has to be, that much better. Jones or any of the other current HC candidates will not out recruit 2\3 of the current PAC 12 coaches. ( and I think that number is generous. ) Some one who can stand toe to toe with Rich Rod in recruiting, is a bare minimum. ( Jones couldn’t do that.) CU needs to add another 1.5 million to the coaching salary pool and get a big name coach. Otherwise in three to four years when Hawkins 2.0 fails we will have another bloated salary to hold us back.

CU lost 2.6 million dollars in ticket sales last year, and that money does not return with a Hawkins 2.0 hire. However if you get a coach that excites people you stand a chance at getting some back. In reality Hawkins 2.0 probably sees a significant drop in sales next year as well, because people will decide to wait and see if the new HC can get the job done. Fan excitement about this team is probably at an all time low. Give the fans something to truly get excited about.

I know people will say we can’t afford this. I say we can’t afford not to. Two years ago we would have had an extra 2.6 million a year to get things done. What will the program look like three years from now, if we screw up this hire. The time for gambling on the next hot coach is over, hire the guy that guarantees to get the job done.

Who exactly would this be that could guarantee results ahead of time?

New facilities are a good start and frankly overdue. Not having facilities hurts, but once we are on par, we still need a coach that can out recruit the competition.

There are many big profile coaches out there. Gene Chizik is one:

BCS proven coach
SEC former coach
won national championship in last 2 years
had a top 10 recruiting class when fired
name recognition which means national exposure

Hire Gene and we are at least in the middle of the PAC 12 in three year, Guaranteed. Can you say that about an of the current Bohn HC Candidates? if we are in a bowl game in the next 3 years, the stadium returns to 45,000 fans, if not 50,000. How much salary does that offset?

Last edited:
New facilities are a good start and frankly overdue. Not having facilities hurts, but once we are on par, we still need a coach that can out recruit the competition.

BCS proven coach
SEC former coach

Hire Gene and we are at least in the middle of the PAC 12 in three year, Guaranteed. Can you say that about an of the current Bohn HC Candidates?

I believe that significant facilities upgrades were part of the offer.

Gene ****ing Chizik? Are you kidding me?

The only name recognition that he has is as the guy who can't win with good talent (minus Cam Newton).

Just say "no" to Gene. The names we are throwing out there are much better candidates than Chizik.

Hell effing NO to Chizick. He was only propped up by Malzahn. He's a joke without him. See ISU and last year @ Auburn.

Hell effing NO to Chizick. He was only propped up by Malzahn. He's a joke without him. See ISU and last year @ Auburn.

if you have a better suggestion that we can actually hire, great. I don't care who the coach is as long as he can out recruit the competition.

Gene is a great recruiter, that can get top coordinator talent to help him on game day. Does that sound familiar. Does he get the most from the talent no, but he does get talent thru the door and that is the first step to recovery.

if you have a better suggestion that we can actually hire, great. I don't care who the coach is as long as he can out recruit the competition.

Gene is a great recruiter, that can get top coordinator talent to help him on game day. Does that sound familiar. Does he get the most from the talent no, but he does get talent thru the door and that is the first step to recovery.

Petrino(I can give you about 100 more). He will be a MILLION times better than Chizik. It was a complete shock when he was hired by Auburn.

Petrino(I can give you about 100 more). He will be a MILLION times better than Chizik. It was a complete shock when he was hired by Auburn.

I like him better to, but CU doesn't. Bohn said flat out no to him, because of his checkered past. ( Auburn didn't want the baggage either) No way in hell Bohn goes back on his statement and hires Patrino.

Keep the names coming maybe Bohn will wake up and make the big call.

Go figure at the president of the USA can cheat and keep his job, but a collage coach can't.

Chizik has been horrible at two seperate BCS schools outside of a once in a lifetime player in Newton. No thanks.

BCS proven coach
SEC former coach

Hire Gene and we are at least in the middle of the PAC 12 in three year, Guaranteed. Can you say that about an of the current Bohn HC Candidates? if we are in a bowl game in the next 3 years, the stadium returns to 45,000 fans, if not 50,000. How much salary does that offset?

Chiz-dick? WTF? Texas was never so glad to see a DC leave Austin! Another 24 hrs' there and the UT faithful were ready with barrels of tar and pillows stuffed with feathers for said Dick! Iowa St. the same, and he didn't exactly get fired from Auburn for his charm and great coaching prowess!

BCS proven coach
SEC former coach

LOL he hasn't done anything that hasn't involved Cam Newton. He won one more game at ISU in two years than water bottle won at CU.

BCS proven coach
SEC former coach

you are joking right?

you are joking right?

This year he had a top 10 recruiting class. Which guy on Bohn's short list including jones can out recruit him here at CU? You can get as good a coach on the field as you want, but if you don't have the recruits to run the plays you can win constantly. If you have a better recruiter in mind that we can get to CU speak up.

This year he had a top 10 recruiting class. Which guy on Bohn's short list including jones can out recruit him here at CU? You can get as good a coach on the field as you want, but if you don't have the recruits to run the plays you can win constantly. If you have a better recruiter in mind that we can get to CU speak up.

Jesus...

What exactly should Bohn do? Lower the academic standards, create new facilities, increase support, etc? Kind of hard to do unilaterally in my opinion. But sure lets keep blaming Bohn.

BCS proven coach
SEC former coach

:doh::facepalm::leave:

The people bringing up Gene Chizik have not watched many Auburn games his time there. If you did, no way in hell you would want him in Boulder.

1. He had issues getting along with quality assistants (Gus Malzahn and Tracy Rocker).
2. He inexplicably tried to change the offense this season to more of a pro style system. Disaster ensued.
3. For a coach with a defensive background, his defenses at Auburn were mostly bad. The rankings in scoring defense from 2009-2012: 79, 53, 79, and 65.
4. The recruiting looks great on paper, but there has been heavy attrition.

The people bringing up Gene Chizik have not watched many Auburn games his time there. If you did, no way in hell you would want him in Boulder.

1. He had issues getting along with quality assistants (Gus Malzahn and Tracy Rocker).
2. He inexplicably tried to change the offense this season to more of a pro style system. Disaster ensued.
3. For a coach with a defensive background, his defenses at Auburn were mostly bad. The rankings in scoring defense from 2009-2012: 79, 53, 79, and 65.
4. The recruiting looks great on paper, but there has been heavy attrition.

Since I've been conditioned to no longer care about winning, I'm kind of rooting for Chizik to come to CU, just to read Duff's posts on the matter.

Back