What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best CU WR ever.

Best CU WR.

• PRich

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Pritchard

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • CJ

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Westbrook

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • Branch

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
I had such hopes for Westbrook as a pro. I wasn't a college football fan as a kid, I didn't care that he was a Buff, I just thought he'd help bring my Skins out of the basement. Instead he physically assaulted and sucker punched my favorite player before flaming out and leaving a vast ocean of untapped potential.
Stephen Davis, I think. I remember that. Westbrook should have been a better pro than he was. Maybe his heart wasn't into football? That happens, you are wasting time playing.

CJ, he's just my personal fav. His story before he got to Boulder, and dude could just ball.

Branch was before my time

The saying goes when Westbrook was in Boulder, the best hoops player on campus wasn't playing on the basketball team. And that was during the Donnie Boyce years.

Stephen Davis, I think. I remember that. Westbrook should have been a better pro than he was. Maybe his heart wasn't into football? That happens, you are wasting time playing.

The was definitely it. I read an article about him a while back where he admitted he had no passion for football and found fulfillment in martial arts. He apparently hated playing, an attitude I could respect, I just wish he figured it out before turning pro.

Yeah, it was Stephen Davis. According to Westbrook's own account, Westbrook was saying how the other players were jealous of his skills and abilities. Davis said "That sounds like some gay ****." and Westbrook jumped him. It sounds like Westbrook was just deeply unhappy playing in the NFL. He's still in amazing shape, even at his age because of his interest in MMA but man, he could have been an all-time great if he desired to be.

The was definitely it. I read an article about him a while back where he admitted he had no passion for football and found fulfillment in martial arts. He apparently hated playing, an attitude I could respect, I just wish he figured it out before turning pro.

Yeah, it was Stephen Davis. According to Westbrook's own account, Westbrook was saying how the other players were jealous of his skills and abilities. Davis said "That sounds like some gay ****." and Westbrook jumped him. It sounds like Westbrook was just deeply unhappy playing in the NFL. He's still in amazing shape, even at his age because of his interest in MMA but man, he could have been an all-time great if he desired to be.
You can't teach desire man, either you have it or you don't. Sucks because he could've been special. I can already see it with my son, he plays but he doesn't love it like I did. That's fine with me, ill be proud no matter what. Does a part of me want that for him though, It'd be a lie if I said no. His life, probably the same for Westbrook.

I picked Branch based on the thread title before I even saw the choices.

That said, CJ and Pritchard were awesome too. I always thought it was pretty funny when someone would call into the old CJ and Klatt radio show believing they were talking to the WR. CJ (the QB) always handled that well, but it kept happening and you could tell it bugged him.

CJ was not only a great player but that guy made it going through a very tough situation. Imho, he was the best I saw. Some of them I didn't see much of.

I stand by my pick of Mike Pritchard. Dude was incredible. He made a catch in the rain/sleet in Lincoln that any ordinary WR would have either dropped or not gotten a foot in bounds. Everybody talks about how Bienemy took over that game in the 4th quarter, but if not for that catch, Bienemy probably doesn't get the chance to take over. Pritchard was nails.

I stand by my pick of Mike Pritchard. Dude was incredible. He made a catch in the rain/sleet in Lincoln that any ordinary WR would have either dropped or not gotten a foot in bounds. Everybody talks about how Bienemy took over that game in the 4th quarter, but if not for that catch, Bienemy probably doesn't get the chance to take over. Pritchard was nails.
Seen a clip of that, 27-12 game right?

Seen a clip of that, 27-12 game right?

That's the one. I was there. From our angle, we thought there was no way he could have gotten a foot in bounds. The ref put his hands up and signaled a catch. The CU section went nuts. It was a huge play that really gets forgotten or overlooked a lot.

That's the one. I was there. From our angle, we thought there was no way he could have gotten a foot in bounds. The ref put his hands up and signaled a catch. The CU section went nuts. It was a huge play that really gets forgotten or overlooked a lot.
Damn, that would have been awesome to see. I missed most of it, I had a game the same day, I wanted to see it. Same thing happened in the 1994 game, I had a game during that one too. Just my luck huh.

Here's the play:
[video]https://youtu.be/22PuFHNXIqQ?t=8058[/video]

Reactions: aik
CJ, he's just my personal fav. His story before he got to Boulder, and dude could just ball.

Branch was before my time

The saying goes when Westbrook was in Boulder, the best hoops player on campus wasn't playing on the basketball team. And that was during the Donnie Boyce years.

Westbrook was one of those rare guys who was a freak physically, who stand out athletically even when surrounded by elite athletes. Not only was he probably the best basketball player but had he focused on track he could have been elite. He in football could have been an elite DB and probably LB. If he had played almost any sport he would have been a standout, baseball, volleyball, tennis, etc. just decided by which direction he choose to go.

Also isn't unusual for guys to spend years of youth football, HS, college, to get to the pros then to simply be tired of it and lack the passion.

Matt Lepsis has talked about how when he played for the Broncos he hated football. He hated practice, hated lifting, hated rehabbing, didn't even get much pleasure from the games, he had had enough but had worked so hard to get there that he was going to get the benefit out of his years of work.

Last edited:
Westbrook could also play the piano. Very well. Claimed he was self taught. I'm not sure that was true. CJ ate ice cream with almost every meal at training table, growing up sometimes homeless, ice cream was a luxury in his mind. he graduated in 3 years.

One player that had he played longer I feel is for sure on this list is Jeremy Bloom. For as short as his career was I believe he holds the record for the most 90+ yard plays in CU history. I think I read a couple of years ago there have been 5 or 6 in the history of the program and Bloom has 3 of them. If he plays 4 years he would have been an all timer.

Westbrook could also play the piano. Very well. Claimed he was self taught. I'm not sure that was true. CJ ate ice cream with almost every meal at training table, growing up sometimes homeless, ice cream was a luxury in his mind. he graduated in 3 years.
He did an interview with Fowler once that I watched. It was sad, he mentioned the ice cream thing. He didn't seem to have self pity at all, pretty awesome.

This is obviously an athletic friendly board but if anyone wants to question the value of athletic scholarships they need to look at guys like CJ.

He not only used football to get to school but he has changed his life and that of his family with it. Guy is bright and articulate and a football scholarship gave him a chance that he took to become a different person.

This is obviously an athletic friendly board but if anyone wants to question the value of athletic scholarships they need to look at guys like CJ.

He not only used football to get to school but he has changed his life and that of his family with it. Guy is bright and articulate and a football scholarship gave him a chance that he took to become a different person.

This. As a person who played WR at CU, I would always choose CJ. His story is something that should be told more. I really hope that if ESPN does that 30 show on the Buffs his story is told.

Just as a pure lights out athlete, I have to go with CB. MR would be next.

All were/are incredible athletes and made their contributions to the team. However if I am building a team, its CB, MP, CJ then MW.

MP and CB are very close in my mind.

It's a travesty leaving out Carruth and Scotty MccccccccKnight.

Where does Dave Logan fall in this conversation?

As the "owner" of the greatest individual effort catch at CU, EVAH!

Late in the '73 game with OU, he made a leaping, one-handed grab of a Clyde Crutchmer wounded-duck pass, while being mugged by OU safety, Randy Hughes (who was a monster and no slouch at safety).

Don't forget Monte Huber, either. He made a career of catching many Bobby Anderson passes, while horizontal to the field!

Both were old school and both were tremendous multi-sport athletes.

This is a great debate because CU has had so many great ones, who have all been the best at something:

Cliff Branch - best pure speed and best returner
Charles Johnson - best hands, most circus catches, two 1,000 yd seasons
Michael Westbrook - made the single greatest catch in CU history, greatest (modern) NFL prospect in CU history
Mike Pritchard - most versatile, was the best player on the NC team
Paul Richardson - best athelete CU has had since Carruth, owns most single-season CU WR records

Rae Carruth - great career, 1st team AA, 1st round pick
Scotty McNight - holds most career WR records, caught a million 10 yard passes from Cody

I had several classes with CJ, very good guy and student. Didn't he also have custody of his little brother while at CU?

I watched Branch play in an alumni game in the 90s. He was one of he oldest players on the field, and the best player hands down.

Here's the play:
[video=youtube_share;22PuFHNXIqQ]https://youtu.be/22PuFHNXIqQ?t=8058[/video]
Watched the whole thing last night, thanks for sharing. Sacky he made about 3 big time catches in that game. I know which one you're talking about though. He was a great athlete and player.

This is a great debate because CU has had so many great ones, who have all been the best at something:

Cliff Branch - best pure speed and best returner
Charles Johnson - best hands, most circus catches, two 1,000 yd seasons
Michael Westbrook - made the single greatest catch in CU history, greatest (modern) NFL prospect in CU history
Mike Pritchard - most versatile, was the best player on the NC team
Paul Richardson - best athelete CU has had since Carruth, owns most single-season CU WR records

Rae Carruth - great career, 1st team AA, 1st round pick
Scotty McNight - holds most career WR records, caught a million 3 yard passes that he turned into 10 yard gains from Cody

fify

Hard to compare different eras but this thread is a good reminder of the rich legacy that CU has in football.

We have had some great WRs. You could also ask the same question about greatest TE, greatest RB, greatest OL (or even break it down by positions.)

Same argument for positions on defense.

As bad as we have been for the past 10+ we have a legacy that many of these Johnny come lately schools would kill for.

Now it's time for us to get back to those levels.

It's a travesty leaving out Carruth and Scotty MccccccccKnight.

Love Scotty and his play but he was not the same level of receiver as the others. If you were to put someone like Westbrook or CJ with todays offense and passing schemes....yikes.

Very off topic, but I was lead to the 1999 Nebraska game via some of these Youtube links. Was the first game I remember going to as a kid.... Oh my god. To lose like that after such a gutsy, passionate comeback. Still makes me shudder as I'm watching it 16 years later....

Had to watch '01 right after to remember it doesn't end so badly. Neither program has really been too special since that day, it feels like the last laugh to me even though it wasn't.

And I can't comment on this WR stuff. PRich was the only one I really got to see play, and I can't believe he is trailing in this poll. He seemed so damn good. Those other guys must have been great... God I missed out.

Also, I know he still has a year left, but if it's close to the same level in terms of production as last year, you gotta think Spruce deserves a spot in these polls, no? He already deserves it over McKnight.... great buff, but I can't imagine him being much more than a possession guy on an actual good CU team (even if I haven't seen that many..)

EDIT: And I know he didn't produce enough over his career, but holy ****, John Minardi had some fantastic catches in that '99 Nebraska game

Last edited:
Back