What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best Football Program in the State?

Uncle Ken

Smoke Chedda tha Ass Getta
Club Member
So, I'm in town for the Holiday, and I was watching 9 News tonight.

While announcing Bobo as the new head coach at CSUFC, the bobble-head sports guy referred to them as "The best football program in the state".

Wait. What?

While I acknowledge that CU is down in the dumps, and that CSU beat us head-to-head this season, proving they were the better football team, I don't think any reasonable person could consider their's a better program.

And frankly, if are just looking at results this season, then you'd have to give a nod to Air Force. And if you don't care about the level of competition (Pac 12 v. MWC) then you'd have to give the nod to CSU Pueblo.

CU has revenue, facilities, conference, attendance and history on CSU. Best program? Give me a break 9 News. Again, I know that we've set ourselves up for this, but I'm nonetheless annoyed.

Drew Soicher is an idiot of epic proportions. Anything that comes out of his mouth should immediately be disregarded. He makes Kizla look like Tolstoy.

CSU has a better Athletic Dept, overall, than CU at the moment (volleyball, football, basketball). Yeah they are in the MWC and earn less, but they have positioned themselves to do well. Bobo is the second SEC coordinator to go there.

Hard pill to swallow.

That said, RG will rightfully overtake CSU again as having the best AD programs.

That said, I still wouldn't put CSU above CU for all time. However, they did just have a coach leave for Florida. If they had a major pipeline for instate kids or were able to maintain that SEC pipeline they can position themselves to be as close to CU as they ever could. They are reaching their ceiling, imo, and we are at the floor of ours.

soicher is a clown that should not be on the air! even my wife hates the guy and she's not into sports much

Guys, despite last night's loss, the Denver Broncos are clearly the best football program in the state. They have elite facilities, a 76,000 seat stadium and a strong winning tradition.

CSU has a better Athletic Dept, overall, than CU at the moment (volleyball, football, basketball). Yeah they are in the MWC and earn less, but they have positioned themselves to do well. Bobo is the second SEC coordinator to go there.

Hard pill to swallow.

That said, RG will rightfully overtake CSU again as having the best AD programs.

That said, I still wouldn't put CSU above CU for all time. However, they did just have a coach leave for Florida. If they had a major pipeline for instate kids or were able to maintain that SEC pipeline they can position themselves to be as close to CU as they ever could. They are reaching their ceiling, imo, and we are at the floor of ours.
1. He's got a good point, the sec is the best conference ever and by which all college football should be measured. Just look at the level of competition!

I'm not commenting on the programs until I hear from soicher's seal.

Hard pill to swallow.

WTF??? Silly comment (or just stupid, depending on perspective regarding really weak conferences).

CU has an on-campus stadium, regularly drawing more than CSU occasionally can and plays in a top-notch conference for all the sports mentioned.

CSU lost a coach who, like Hawkins was, is "flavor of the season" because of winning over a series of very weak teams in a weak conference; has slapped-together B-ball teams, who'll make a run THIS YEAR, then slide back into oblivion and who play in a HS-style gym; and a volleyball team, which, like other CSU teams plays in a weak conference and as a result , regularly makes it to the NCAA's, only to lose in the first round (this year they got lucky hosting the All-Colorado regional, but promptly lost away from the friendly confines of Moby, unlike Kritza's team, who plays in the toughest VB conference and which last year went to the Sweet 16, their first year in the NCAA's); XC? no explanation needed. SEC coordinator? Happiest folks over Bobo coming here are UGA fans: "Who is the only guy who can stop UGA's offense? Steve Bobo!"

Earn less? Yes, $2 million vs $20 million is a bit less. Pipeline for recruiting? What pipeline? Look at both BB and football; there is no pipeline in-state or anywhere else for CSU. Their women's basketball team imported the Norwegian U-18 women's team, if that's what you mean and Krazy Larry picks up misfit transfers from whatever program is dropping its mercenary players, AA's version of Dana Altman! How many commits do the Rams have in FB? Four?

They have no Ath. Director, little support among alums and little prospect of moving up to P5, so how does all that translate to "positioned themselves to do well"??? As a big fish in a rapidly-drying up pond, yeah......but if both programs were stocks sold on Wall Street, which would you buy?

Hard pill to swallow.

Pretty much this. CSU is in a better spot today, simply going off of results, but obviously not all time. CSU is operating closer to their historical ceiling while CU is down in football and I suppose somewhat down in basketball. Until CSU can start stringing wins from year to year the best we've been able to do is win one every 2-3 years. I'm hoping part of the push in athletics is moving CSU's ceiling higher.

Pretty much this. CSU is in a better spot today, simply going off of results, but obviously not all time. CSU is operating closer to their historical ceiling while CU is down in football and I suppose somewhat down in basketball. Until CSU can start stringing wins from year to year the best we've been able to do is win one every 2-3 years. I'm hoping part of the push in athletics is moving CSU's ceiling higher.

You actually sound like a Ram Fan that I could like and enjoy watching sports with. Pretty honest assessment and one that I agree with. I hope the ceiling for the Rams is lifted to a higher level but this last year has been fantastic for the program. We are on a 7-10 year slide that I sure as help hope is coming to an end (at least for football). Right now, the Rams are in better shape when looking at it from the outside. I would not wish to trade positions with them as we have a great foundation in place to change our direction. But right now, looking at it from the outside, you would say the Rams are in a better spot.

Good points on both sides, but I guess I gotta give the nod to CSU. I think their admin cares more about athletics than ours did and we have a huge hole to climb out of, but if we were in the MWC we'd be vying for a championship - IMO we're not a good PAC12 team, but a pretty good ACC/MWC team...

Hard pill to swallow.

Bull****. They are piddling around trying to build a 40,000 seat stadium and have a half sized IPF. They got totally punked by a Pac 12 team who were lucky to escape Boulder. Yeah, they beat us the first game of the season, but I think at the end of the season, we were better (I know, very arguable). We played 7 top 25 teams. They played no one better than top 40 until the bowl game they got punked in. Their volleyball team bet us in OT on their home court. Essentially a draw. We beat the No. 1 team in the nation. We won a National Championship in XC. Both our men's and women's golf teams are better. Our soccer team did well in the NCAA's. WE HAVE A GREAT ATHLETIC DIRECTOR! What/who does csu have? 2014 will go down as an abomination. The greatest year in CSU athletic history never to be duplicated!!!

Did Winston Churchill say, "The Germans have a better military than us", when England was on the brink of falling? HELL NO HE DIDN'T! Did John Paul Jones say, "Man, the Brits have a better navy than us" when the Brits were destroying our navy? HELL NO! He said, "We have not yet begun to fight!!!"

Last edited:

Hard pill to swallow.

Why would you limit how a AD does to three sports?

I'm with DBT here. Calling bull**** on this.

CSU wishes they were part of the big boys club. I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday and seeing them come into the game with Utah talking trash and about how they can push around Pac 12 teams. Their own coach ran for the hills the very second an offer came along to leave and he met with his players for 40 seconds and left his whole staff here. I think he also knew they would be exposed by Utah.

We we have a national championship, a conference tournament championship in basketball, a long football tradition, an excellent AD that I wouldn't trade for anyone, and a great campus and school. We belong to a power conference and we are building new facilities that will be awesome.

I'd feel sad for Ft. collins. Saying they are better as a program may feel good to them but welcome to reality. The words don't add up to facts or anything tangible. They are so proud they best us in basketball, football and volleyball. Look at the overall W-L records. Then get back to me on who the best program is.

Drew Soicher wasn't the one that said it. I laughed when I heard it. I am pretty sure you would never hear that from CU's side because it "should" be expected all the time. Not an issue to me.

CSU has had a really great year, but they aren't the premier program in the state. Even after a decade of nonsense at CU, we still beat CSU regularly in most sports and we're still the one that garners the attention nationally.

They are the best program in the state, right now, in the sports that matter. Not even in the same stratosphere historically.

Disagree. They had a good year. How does that make them the best in the state?? They got bragging rights in football and basketball for one year. Last year we best them in football soundly and basketball on their home floor. This year they surprised us.

Wishful dreaming that they are the best program.

They are the best program in the state, right now, in the sports that matter. Not even in the same stratosphere historically.

:rofl:

Yes, if you ignore all other possible evaluation metrics other than this year's win/loss record in three sports (but not those other sports that CSU didn't win in), CSU is in a better spot today.

Thank you Darth. Sums it up well.

Lets also not forget.... We've had a number of athletes go pro- PRich, dinwiddie, Burks, Roberson. csu likes to talk volleyball too but we have the ONLY first team All-American in the state in volleyball. We already have an on campus stadium that is awesome and more facilities to come.

:rofl:

Yes, if you ignore all other possible evaluation metrics other than this year's win/loss record in three sports (but not those other sports that CSU didn't win in), CSU is in a better spot today.

Thank you Darth. Sums it up well.

Lets also not forget.... We've had a number of athletes go pro- PRich, dinwiddie, Burks, Roberson. csu likes to talk volleyball too but we have the ONLY first team All-American in the state in volleyball. We already have an on campus stadium that is awesome and more facilities to come.
csu doesn't even have a damned AD!!! And if they did, he/she could not hold Rick George's jock strap!!!

Guys, despite last night's loss, the Denver Broncos are clearly the best football program in the state. They have elite facilities, a 76,000 seat stadium and a strong winning tradition.

And they sell out every game. (Every Broncos home game since 1970 has been sold out.)

Back