What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best Football Program in the State?

There´s only one school in the state with a national title as well as a Heisman.

Good points on both sides, but I guess I gotta give the nod to CSU. I think their admin cares more about athletics than ours did and we have a huge hole to climb out of, but if we were in the MWC we'd be vying for a championship - IMO we're not a good PAC12 team, but a pretty good ACC/MWC team...

neg rep for grouping those conferences together. it'd be one thing if you were saying the bad or mediocre teams in each were similar, but your post is speaking to the good teams in those conferences. :wow:

and as soon as i recharge, more neg rep for ending your post with an ellipses.

CU athletics are in the worst shape that they've been in in at least five years simply because the basketball team is having a bad year now, too, which it hasn't in a while.

CSU has two coaching hires in a row of coordinators from really good SEC programs. This substantially outclasses what we've done with our last three hires. Their basketball team is winning; ours isn't because we have no guards.

There really is no excuse for CU to be bargain-basement shopping for football coaches, but we did, while CSU is hiring coordinators away from top schools. Turn off the spin. I hope that if CU has to hire a football coach again in the next few years that we get someone with an actual pedigree instead of someone from Cal-State U, because it makes our program look really bad to recruits and fans when CSU can make a splash and we can't.

CU athletics are in the worst shape that they've been in in at least five years simply because the basketball team is having a bad year now, too, which it hasn't in a while.

CSU has two coaching hires in a row of coordinators from really good SEC programs. This substantially outclasses what we've done with our last three hires. Their basketball team is winning; ours isn't because we have no guards.

There really is no excuse for CU to be bargain-basement shopping for football coaches, but we did, while CSU is hiring coordinators away from top schools. Turn off the spin. I hope that if CU has to hire a football coach again in the next few years that we get someone with an actual pedigree instead of someone from Cal-State U, because it makes our program look really bad to recruits and fans when CSU can make a splash and we can't.

When we start winning I hope we gain smarter "fans" than you.

Cal-State U?

Bobo being a good hire.

:middlefinger:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neg rep for grouping those conferences together. it'd be one thing if you were saying the bad or mediocre teams in each were similar, but your post is speaking to the good teams in those conferences. :wow:

and as soon as i recharge, more neg rep for ending your post with an ellipses.

But, but, but you ended your post with an ellipses, too.

I googled CSU national championships and came up with club sports. CU has a boatload of actual national championships, including this year. In a very down environment football is suffering, but let's not lose sight of reality.

This thread is a joke.

Cal-State U?

Bobo being a good hire.

+1 on smarter fans. If the measure is winning against lesser competition, go root for CSU-Pueblo; heck, they're true national champs.

SEC coordinators? Really sad when the fans happiest about your new head coach are the ones from the place he just left! (See Baer, Kent; though I think he''l finish out his career with mediocre success in the MWC). And just what kind of legacy and pipeline did Sparkles leave? None! What was his "signature win?" A last minute snatch over a disinterested 7-5 BC team? Never won his conference and only beat four teams with winning records. Yeah, he was pure gold alright.

Where do these "fans" come from anyway?

Cal-State U?

Bobo being a good hire.

San Jose State is a part of the CSU system, you know-nothing ****-off. Straight from Wikipedia:

San José State University (commonly referred to as San Jose State or SJSU) is a comprehensive public universitylocated in San Jose, California, United States. It is the founding school of the 23 campus California State University(CSU) system,
Either you didn't know this or, even more hilariously, you lack the brainpower to process the referencing of an object by a description of it rather than it's actual name. The former would be forgivable if it wasn't for your chest-puffing idiot-bravado, but the latter just makes you a complete and utter moron.

More generally, you are a carbon copy of the other teenager that floods this board with idiot bull**** and is proven wrong almost every time he opens his mouth. The only difference is that he's a few years older than you; interestingly enough, he's still just as stupid as ever, and so there probably isn't a lot of hope for you, either.

Last edited:

We interviewed Sparkles and decided not to hire him. I think its still too soon to see if that was a good decision, or not. The only thing I cant take from MacIntyre is the recruiting, and he has the chance to rectify that soon enough. I hope he does.

We interviewed Sparkles and decided not to hire him. I think its still too soon to see if that was a good decision, or not. The only thing I cant take from MacIntyre is the recruiting, and he has the chance to rectify that soon enough. I hope he does.

I agree that he appears to be at least an adequate coach. The recruiting is below par, though, IMO.

I agree that he appears to be at least an adequate coach. The recruiting is below par, though, IMO.

No Wikipedia reference supporting why you feel recruiting is below par? Thought you might want to consider it as a schtick of sorts.

Last edited:
1. He's got a good point, the sec is the best conference ever and by which all college football should be measured. Just look at the level of competition!

I'm not commenting on the programs until I hear from soicher's seal.

Orr says CSU is not the best football program in the state despite what the bobble head says. I suppose its a semantics thing. Drew probably meant based on wins and losses in FBS. Odd that that supposed best hires its coaches from the SEC while CU hires its coaches for the WAC/MWC. :huh: But I digress.

I think they've been trying to catch up. They've put their money where their mouth is in terms of hiring coaches and now they have the results to prove it. They've also shown a willingness to invest in facilities. They have a ways to go but they are trying to get there.

San Jose State is a part of the CSU system, you know-nothing ****-off. Straight from Wikipedia:

Either you didn't know this or, even more hilariously, you lack the brainpower to process the referencing of an object by a description of it rather than it's actual name. The former would be forgivable if it wasn't for your chest-puffing idiot-bravado, but the latter just makes you a complete and utter moron.

More generally, you are a carbon copy of the other teenager that floods this board with idiot bull**** and is proven wrong almost every time he opens his mouth. The only difference is that he's a few years older than you; interestingly enough, he's still just as stupid as ever, and so there probably isn't a lot of hope for you, either.

SJSU is not on the same system as Cal-Berkeley. I don't know where the confusion is coming from. Cal would not be worried about pulling a coach from their own system if they hired MAC.

Orr says CSU is not the best football program in the state despite what the bobble head says. I suppose its a semantics thing. Drew probably meant based on wins and losses in FBS. Odd that that supposed best hires its coaches from the SEC while CU hires its coaches for the WAC/MWC. :huh: But I digress.

I think they've been trying to catch up. They've put their money where their mouth is in terms of hiring coaches and now they have the results to prove it. They've also shown a willingness to invest in facilities. They have a ways to go but they are trying to get there.
To be fair, they are both heads a bobble.

We could hire a coordinator from the SEC, but the goal with HCMM was to get someone with HC experience. Do you think CSU could have hired HCMM away from SJSU? The answer is no.

Bull****. They are piddling around trying to build a 40,000 seat stadium and have a half sized IPF. They got totally punked by a Pac 12 team who were lucky to escape Boulder. Yeah, they beat us the first game of the season, but I think at the end of the season, we were better (I know, very arguable). We played 7 top 25 teams. They played no one better than top 40 until the bowl game they got punked in. Their volleyball team bet us in OT on their home court. Essentially a draw. We beat the No. 1 team in the nation. We won a National Championship in XC. Both our men's and women's golf teams are better. Our soccer team did well in the NCAA's. WE HAVE A GREAT ATHLETIC DIRECTOR! What/who does csu have? 2014 will go down as an abomination. The greatest year in CSU athletic history never to be duplicated!!!

Did Winston Churchill say, "The Germans have a better military than us", when England was on the brink of falling? HELL NO HE DIDN'T! Did John Paul Jones say, "Man, the Brits have a better navy than us" when the Brits were destroying our navy? HELL NO! He said, "We have not yet begun to fight!!!"

THIS!!!

CSU is on a 1 game winning streak in football and they got an eye opener what it's like playing more than 1 Pac 12 school. They are on a 1 year winning streak in basketball with a 2 point win. They beat our vball team in OT. How many national championships in any sport do they have? How many conference championships do they have? Who's their AD? What stadium do they have? All these questions were just casually overlooked when someone declared CSU is a better overall Athletic Department. And someone else said, "I guess CU has the edge all time"??? YOU GUESS??? CU is still a top 30 football program all time. CSU's athletics are merely a slight annoyance to CU on the grand, all time scale. Not even debatable. Soicher is an idiot and if you're really going to talk about the best (non pro) football program in the state right now, it's clearly Air Force. They beat CSU head to head and dominated in their bowl game. Even when CSU is relevant, they're completely irrelevant.

We could hire a coordinator from the SEC, but the goal with HCMM was to get someone with HC experience. Do you think CSU could have hired HCMM away from SJSU? The answer is no.

Agreed. I am tired of people gloating that CSU hired an SEC Coordinator while we had to settle for a MWC coach. We HAD to hire someone with head coaching experience at the point we were at. We took a shot at a coach with no background as HC & it was an epic failure. After HCMM gets this program turned around (even if it's not to the level most of us hope) I think we'll be in the position to take the best candidate possible - coordinator or HC.

Agreed. I am tired of people gloating that CSU hired an SEC Coordinator while we had to settle for a MWC coach. We HAD to hire someone with head coaching experience at the point we were at. We took a shot at a coach with no background as HC & it was an epic failure. After HCMM gets this program turned around (even if it's not to the level most of us hope) I think we'll be in the position to take the best candidate possible - coordinator or HC.

Wait, I was about to agree with everything here but then I read the last part. You think we settled for MM because we couldn't get a coordinator from the SEC?? If so, you are crazy. Had Tennessee not offered, we were going to steal the HEAD COACH from Cincinnati. We could have had MacElwain and we could have Bobo right now if we wanted to fire MM. CSU will NEVER get a coaching candidate that CU can't get.

If you want to debate the fact that MM might eventually leave for a big time job if he wins 10+ games in the next few years, then we can talk about that. But to basically say we had to settle for MM because we couldn't get a coordinator from an elite program is idiotic.

The last thing we need to do is get our collective panties in a wad over something Buffs04 said. If he honestly believes CSU could have hired MM away from SJSU, he's delusional... wait, we already knew that.

Carry on.

Wait, I was about to agree with everything here but then I read the last part. You think we settled for MM because we couldn't get a coordinator from the SEC?? If so, you are crazy. Had Tennessee not offered, we were going to steal the HEAD COACH from Cincinnati. We could have had MacElwain and we could have Bobo right now if we wanted to fire MM. CSU will NEVER get a coaching candidate that CU can't get.

If you want to debate the fact that MM might eventually leave for a big time job if he wins 10+ games in the next few years, then we can talk about that. But to basically say we had to settle for MM because we couldn't get a coordinator from an elite program is idiotic.

Not what I said AT ALL. CU had already taken it's chance on someone without head coaching experience, so Mike was the perfect candidate for us at the time. I'm not saying we settled.

Not what I said AT ALL. CU had already taken it's chance on someone without head coaching experience, so Mike was the perfect candidate for us at the time. I'm not saying we settled.

Ok, I guess the part where you said, "After HCMM gets the program turned around, we'll be in position to take the best candidate possible - coordinator or HC" confused me. That sounds like you're saying CU wasn't good enough to garner "the best possible candidate", including a coordinator.

IMO, they wanted a guy with HC experience and that's why MM and Butch Jones were their guys. Once Butch bailed, MM was up next. I don't think Bohn or the search committee had any real intentions on hiring a coordinator, but by choice, not because they couldn't get one.

Didn't read the thread. But this year and in recent history, Air Force has been the best football program in the state.

SJSU is not on the same system as Cal-Berkeley. I don't know where the confusion is coming from. Cal would not be worried about pulling a coach from their own system if they hired MAC.

There are two state school systems in CA: the UC system (UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, etc), and the Cal State system (SJSU, San Diego State, etc). San Jose State is part of the Cal State system so buffs04 was correct.

Never fear all. Just like its flu season. Little brother syndrome struck in Ft. collins again. That is where little brother thinks he is no longer little brother and gets a little too high on himself and then needs a reality check. Big brother and his big friends then have to welcome little brother back to reality. (Thank you, Utes 45-10).

I'm sure rashard Higgins is a good receiver, but if you put Spruce in the MWC, he would have been the best receiver there. And garrett Grayson looked way out of place against a pac team. Lifau is better.

CSU got embarrassed by Utah in their bowl game AFTER their players, fans, etc were all saying that they would easily beat the Utes and that they were better than most Pac 12 teams. Arrogance. And they were blown out. I thought utah could have beat them by more too but they seemed to ease up.

Never fear all. Just like its flu season. Little brother syndrome struck in Ft. collins again. That is where little brother thinks he is no longer little brother and gets a little too high on himself and then needs a reality check. Big brother and his big friends then have to welcome little brother back to reality. (Thank you, Utes 45-10).

I'm sure rashard Higgins is a good receiver, but if you put Spruce in the MWC, he would have been the best receiver there. And garrett Grayson looked way out of place against a pac team. Lifau is better.

CSU got embarrassed by Utah in their bowl game AFTER their players, fans, etc were all saying that they would easily beat the Utes and that they were better than most Pac 12 teams. Arrogance. And they were blown out. I thought utah could have beat them by more too but they seemed to ease up.

Not to mention their only TD came from a trick play throwback to the QB. Had CU played CSU at the end, or even middle of the season, they would have had a similar result.

CU fans retroactively award the team a few victories each season. Must be nice for actual games not to matter much.

CU fans retroactively award the team a few victories each season. Must be nice for actual games not to matter much.
I think it's the "If all things were equal" argument. "If they'd played our schedule" and/or "If we'd played their schedule" what would the results have been?

Every fan base does that. All close losses should have been wins and no close wins should be questioned as games that could have gone the other way. :wink2:

I am a believer in a team making its own luck and the Parcells statement of "you are what your record is". But with that said, CU in 2014 was about the least sucky 2-10 a team could be.

Nobody is awarding them games. They went 2-10. After seeing how CU played against Utah just a couple weeks prior to Utah's drubbing of CSU, I believe CU had come a long way from the beginning of the season when they lost to CSU. I know your mouth breathing, no moral victories philosophy, rolls its eyes at that notion, but it's OK. At least you have a funny signature!

Back