What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best men's and women's college basketball teams you've ever seen.

BuffLuke80

Club Member
Club Member
Well, we are all 35. Some more than others so just go by what you've seen. Men's side, it would be easy to say those UCLA teams or phi slamma jamma. Seen plenty of video, saw some of the Houston teams play live on tv not knowing wtf was going on yet. Since I didn't see any of the UCLA teams and very little of Houston or Georgetown really, you'd think I'd say North Carolina, Duke, or Kentucky teams. Nope, my vote goes to the UNLV squads, they were nasty. Women's side, I didn't see Cheryl Miller play at USC but have heard she's the best womens player of all time and it isn't really close. Didn't look at her wiki page, so Idk if she won a title there? I'd have to go with pick either UConn or Tennessee teams over the years. UConn is still rolling, Tennessee, not so much. Quite a few good women's teams now, wasn't always that way.

1999-2000 Michigan State men's team was damn good.

1990-91 UNLV men's team is hard to disregard.

I'd have to research, but to my memory, some of UConn's and Tennessee's women's teams were amazing.

Kind of hard for me to go against the UConn undefeated with Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi as the back court. It's a guard's game and that's an all-time tandem.

Those who follow men's and women's hoops closer than me....

Why is there is so much more parity in men's basketball than women's? Everytime I look over the women's scoreboard, I see scores like 79-24. Almost never see men's games so lopsided.

Right now it's the non-conference schedule and most good coaches try to schedule teams to pad the wins. The good teams toss in a game or two against another ranked teams. Come conference time, you will still see scores like that in some conference. I'm looking at UConn.

I don't watch UConn play so I don't know how good their teams are.

The best women's team I have every seen was Texas Tech with Sheryl Swoopes in 1993.

That 1984 Georgetown team was ridiculous. All 5 starters, led by Ewing and Wingate, to the NBA. Michael Graham coming off the bench would have been a big time NBA guy if not for issues, but was an absolute beast by tourney time that year. That team and year is when I really fell in love with college hoops.

That 1984 Georgetown team was ridiculous. All 5 starters, led by Ewing and Wingate, to the NBA. Michael Graham coming off the bench would have been a big time NBA guy if not for issues, but was an absolute beast by tourney time that year. That team and year is when I really fell in love with college hoops.
When I was a kid, I used to hang around the Yates Field House, which is the rec center for the Georgetown community. My dad graduated from law school there and we had a membership. I got a chance to watch those players play pick up games and informal shoot arounds. Sleepy Floyd was my favorite; he was always great with all the kids. I’m not sure if that ‘84 squad was the best, but it is to me simply because of the nostalgia.

Those who follow men's and women's hoops closer than me....

Why is there is so much more parity in men's basketball than women's? Everytime I look over the women's scoreboard, I see scores like 79-24. Almost never see men's games so lopsided.
Also keep in mind the women's game is a couple decades behind the men's in terms of support and engagement (and $$). The men's game 20 years ago did not have the parity it does now. As more young women get excited and enticed into basketball, expect it to increase.

Back