What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best scorers in the NCAA past or present.

BuffLuke80

Club Member
Club Member
I'm not going to number them because I didn't see some of them play. Pistol Pete, averaging over 40 without a three point line, is ****ing insane to me. I did have his "Homework Basketball", vhs tape or tapes as a kid. That dude was a wizard. Steph Curry would be on it. MJ, even though I don't think he ever averaged 20 a game while at UNC. Wilt and Kareem for sure. Larry freaking Bird, no doubt there. Abdul Rauf, aka Chris Jackson. The Big O, no doubt there either. Thinking about it, I don't know if a list is all that possible. You'd have to put Bill Walton on there too. I'm forgetting a ton of them but Pistol would top the list. Funny thing I saw about MJ one day. An NBA team asked Bob Knight who they should draft, he didn't hesitate he said Michael Jordan. I'm not quoting it, been awhile since I saw that. They told him, we need a center. He said, draft Jordan play him at center. He's a prick but he knows his ****.:D

Maravich was unique in that he was a big scorer in college and in the NBA.

A lot of the great college scorers didn't have the all around game for the NBA.

A few exceptions in guys like Bird, Elvin Hayes, etc. or more recently Steph who score both places

More often you get guys like Erick Green from Va. Tech or Jimmer Ferdette from BYU who filled it up in college and end up playing overseas because they can't play the game at the pro level.

Recent guy who is putting up points in bunches as a pro after doing it in college is Trae Young.

I'm not going to number them because I didn't see some of them play. Pistol Pete, averaging over 40 without a three point line, is ****ing insane to me. I did have his "Homework Basketball", vhs tape or tapes as a kid. That dude was a wizard. Steph Curry would be on it. MJ, even though I don't think he ever averaged 20 a game while at UNC. Wilt and Kareem for sure. Larry freaking Bird, no doubt there. Abdul Rauf, aka Chris Jackson. The Big O, no doubt there either. Thinking about it, I don't know if a list is all that possible. You'd have to put Bill Walton on there too. I'm forgetting a ton of them but Pistol would top the list. Funny thing I saw about MJ one day. An NBA team asked Bob Knight who they should draft, he didn't hesitate he said Michael Jordan. I'm not quoting it, been awhile since I saw that. They told him, we need a center. He said, draft Jordan play him at center. He's a prick but he knows his ****.:D
Bobby Knight was a supreme prick.

and he won championships, graduated his players, kept his teams out of NCAA trouble and had one of the most impressive "coaching trees" in the history of the sport.

but yes, he was a prick.

if you're good enough, you can get away w/ it... to a point.

Some names that come to mind.

Doug McDermott, Jimmer Fredette, JJ Reddick, Steph Curry, Kemba Walker, Trae Young, Buddy Hield,

Hank Gathers. Wasn't just the system. Tragedy that we lost him so young. Would have loved to have seen him in the NBA.

Most memorable performance: when he dropped about 50 on Shaq when Loyola played LSU. I'll never forget that game.
I remember Bo Kimble shooting his free throws left handed after he passed. Right though, hell of a player and it was tragic.

Wasn't Paul Westhead their head coach?
Yes, Westhead was their coach. They scored a ridiculous amount of points for college, just outscored teams.

Westhead then came to the Nuggets and tried to do the same thing and proceeded to score 120 per game and still get blown out on a regular basis.

Another tragedy and a great player. Sad anniversary today

What could have been. Pretty sure, him and MJ competed in college right? Think about in the NBA when they both would've been in the Eastern Conference, crazy. As it is, he went way too young.

Honestly, even though he was a total dud in the pros, Jimmer was an amazing collegiate shooter.

Back