What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big 12 Men's Basketball Revenue: Why success is vital to CU

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Here is how the Big 12 schools rank in allocated men's basketball revenue (2007):

1. Texas ($14.8 MM)
2. Kansas ($14.6 MM)
3. Oklahoma State ($9.7 MM)
4. Texas A&M ($9.3 MM)
5. Missouri ($8.0 MM)
6. Oklahoma ($6.4 MM)
7. Nebraska ($6.3 MM)
8. Kansas State ($6.2 MM)
9. Texas Tech ($3.8 MM)
10. Colorado ($3.8 MM)
11. Iowa State ($3.8 MM)
12. Baylor ($3.5 MM)

Big 12 Average (Men's Basketball): $7.5 MM

The finances clearly shake out into 4 Tiers of basketball programs in the Big 12:

Tier I = Texas and Kansas
Tier II = Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Missouri
Tier III = Oklahoma, Nebraska & Kansas State
Tier IV = Texas Tech, Colorado, Iowa State and Baylor

If we could make the jump from Tier IV into Tier III, we'd pull in another $2.5 million. Reaching the Big 12 average MBB revenue would be about $3.7 million per year. And a jump to Tier II (long-term goal) would net CU about $5.2 million extra per year.

This can only be achieved through winning. We need to be on TV. We need to be in a postseason tourney every year. We need to pack Coors.

4 days to tip off! GO BUFFS!

* All numbers rounded to the nearest $100,000.
Source: US Dept of Education

Last edited:
I am surprised the mens basketball team makes that much money. I thought that they didn't have enough revenue to cover their expenses.

I am surprised the mens basketball team makes that much money. I thought that they didn't have enough revenue to cover their expenses.

They're right around break even. +/- $100,000 a year. The Big 12 money saves our bacon.

Last edited:
Biggest surprises for me on that list are how much Nebraska pulls in and how little ISU makes...would've figured those two to be flip-flopped...

I'm not a bball fan, but I will try to swing by for a few games this season.

Back