What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big XII not expanding...for now.

Bailer a legit P5 school? ISU is far more deserving. Such short memories people have. They were the doormat of the Big 12, and only invited into the Big 12 due to politics. They are a private religious university that has historically sucked at football and just happens to be redhot over the last few years. I think they are not a historically even close to a P5 program.

They were good in the early 1990s when CU played them at Folsom... They had some 8 win seasons in that period

I think the discussions are fun until the devolve into "When the inevitable happens and UT comes to the Pac 12". That's just moronic for any number of reasons. Yet it seems to always go that way.

I acknowledge a lot has to happen for this plan to work. It's the only way I can see CSU ever getting that coveted P5 invite, though.

well the PAC 10 wanted them in 1994 and they were in serious discussion when Scott wanted to do 16 teams first ....
so you and I may not like it but it's not necessarily moronic to talk about it-

well the PAC 10 wanted them in 1994 and they were in serious discussion when Scott wanted to do 16 teams first ....
so you and I may not like it but it's not necessarily moronic to talk about it-

No. It's moronic. Seriously. It's just dumb.

Bailer a legit P5 school? ISU is far more deserving. Such short memories people have. They were the doormat of the Big 12, and only invited into the Big 12 due to politics. They are a private religious university that has historically sucked at football and just happens to be redhot over the last few years. I think they are not a historically even close to a P5 program.

Like it or not, Bailer has a legit athletic department. They won a natty in Women's hoops a few years ago. Their men's hoops team is usually ranked and their football team is ranked as well. They're a legit P5 school whether we want to admit it or not.

Like it or not, Bailer has a legit athletic department. They won a natty in Women's hoops a few years ago. Their men's hoops team is usually ranked and their football team is ranked as well. They're a legit P5 school whether we want to admit it or not.

yep and don't forget about their new digs ...

Women's basketball definitely doesn't drive the P5 bus.

Big XII added DU, my alma mater, for gymnastics today.... Giving us a stronger foothold in a P5 than those CSU pansies LOL

Sorry if this scenario was already mentioned, but this guy has some potential insight on the situation:
http://frankthetank.me/2015/07/29/big-12-expansion-or-contraction-watch-out-for-oklahoma/

This part seems obvious
I don’t position this blog as a newsbreaking site, but I have heard from a knowledgeable person with extensive contacts with current and former Big 12 members (i.e. knew specific details about Nebraska heading to the Big Ten and Texas A&M to the SEC beforehand that couldn’t have been simply guessed from the news) that basically had this to say:Oklahoma isn’t happy with the Big 12 and wants to get out.

He thinks OU makes a lot of sense for B1G. They're basically begging for an invite with their comments recently. And Kansas would make a lot of sense as a partner, just like they they talked about in 2010.

This part's interesting re: Texas
Ah yes – Texas. The Longhorns aren’t oblivious to their rivals to the north. In a perfect world for Texas (as described to me by my Big 12 guy), they would want to join the ACC as full members with… wait for it… Notre Dame. Apparently, the UT people are convinced that the new College Football Playoff system will eventually drive the Irish to join a conference and Texas wants to be right alongside them. In turn, UT would also have Oklahoma and Kansas follow along to create an 18-school ACC behemoth.

He goes on to explain Texas would only go that route if ND came along, and the fact is Notre Dame actually isn't feeling pressured to join a conference by the playoff system, so it makes that scenario almost a non-starter.

Everybody doing everything they can to get away from UT, and UT trying to put conditions on joining the ACC that they take OU and KU with them. That's good for a lulz.

Self awareness is not a commodity in abundant supply in Austin, is it?

I had never seen this story from the TCU AD on how they got the Big 12 invite. Pure gold and so Texas.

Del Conte admitted, “the pressure of the entire institution was on my shoulders” to join the Big 12. He worked the phones, calling every Big 12 contact he knew. Support within the Big 12 was growing, including at Oklahoma where good friend Joe Castiglione had been encouraging. But Del Conte knew if he didn’t have Texas, he didn’t have a chance.

“I’ve got one shot,” he recounted, “to go see DeLoss.”

It was a quite a visit. Del Conte grabbed a car, a driver and a bunch of reference material, binders, extolling the advantages of TCU and Fort Worth.

“I get up at 8 o’clock in the morning and drive to Darrell K. Royal Stadium. I get to [Dodds’] office. Nine comes around, 10 comes around. I’ve got a GA [graduate assistant] outside waiting for me, by the way. I tell him, ‘Just wait 10 minutes I’ll be back.’ Pretty soon it’s 3:30.

“[DeLoss] comes out and says, ‘Who are you?’ Chris Del Conte, Texas Christian U. He doesn’t hear ‘Chris.’ he hears ‘Del’. ‘Del, let’s go get ourselves a drink and discuss it.’

“We went to a restaurant and had a little libation at 3:30. By the time 8:30 rolls around, we were [into it] pretty good but we got ourselves in a situation. I kept trying to give him my [binders]. He said, ‘I’ve heard enough, Del’ and just walked away.”

Also, our buddy Chipper with some saber rattling this morning. LINK

Sources told HD because the relationship among Texas and OU administrators isn't as close as it used to be, it's becoming easier for Boren to possibly sell a vision to those in his camp that one day may or may not include Texas when it comes to realignment.
That vision could be spearheading the drive to add two schools to the Big 12 or possibly bolting (with Oklahoma State) to another conference (most likely the SEC), sources tell HD.

Sources told HD because the relationship among Texas and OU administrators isn't as close as it used to be, it's becoming easier for Boren to possibly sell a vision to those in his camp that one day may or may not include Texas when it comes to realignment.
That vision could be spearheading the drive to add two schools to the Big 12 or possibly bolting (with Oklahoma State) to another conference (most likely the SEC), sources tell HD.

There are a ****-ton OU and OSU alums in Texas. Probably most especially the big markets like Dallas and Houston. With A&M already in the SEC those markets will become very divided from a TV ratings perspective if OU and OSU went. Whereas they are more sewn up now. What I am thinking is if your the B12 do you want OU on at the same time as UT but on a different channel? Or do you want to stack them so both can be on?

What I am thinking is if your the B12 do you want OU on at the same time as UT but on a different channel? Or do you want to stack them so both can be on?
Are these rhetorical questions? Because there's only one smart answer.

If OU bolts and takes either KU or Okie Lite with them, the B12 becomes a joke, with UT being the proverbial big fish in a small pond. Even if they do go to 12 teams on a major rebuild of the conference, who will care?

Back