What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Biggest needs in the 2014 class?

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
We had a thread on this topic a couple months ago, but it is worth re-hashing since spring practices are about to wrap up. My thoughts:

1. Secondary: Just not a whole lot of depth here, especially at safety. This is going to be an area of importance every year in the PAC-12, but especially for 2014 given the lack of numbers here.

2. Offensive tackle: Again, just not a lot of numbers here. Ideally, we can find a handful of guys with some length that can play multiple positions.

3. Running back: I mentioned it in the Kalen Ballage thread, but I really believe we need to upgrade the athleticism at this position in a big way. Definitely need more speed as well.

4. Defensive end: Similar in many ways to the issues at OT, we need to add length and athleticism here. Hopefully getting some guys that grow into quality defensive tackles down the road.

I think it goes without saying we need help pretty much everywhere, but a greater emphasis on speed and athleticism at the four areas above would benefit multiple other positions down the road.

Call me old fashioned, but I firmly believe that you win games in the trenches. I think our #1 priority is OL, and the #1A priority is DL. You can win a lot of games if you have solid, deep lines.

Speed. Speed. Speed.

We need guys who can make explosive plays on both sides of the ball.

My short list of guys I'd really like at the positions I think we need to most. I like them big and fast at all positions except at center where I like a huge, middle clogging, driving beast. In some cases (like MLB and Safety) I think we need to be looking at better guys than the ones we are currently looking at. No slam to the kids they currently have listed, I just don't see one that fits my ideal mold. I love getting a Colorado product as long as he is going to be a real upgrade or add meaningful and needed depth, but there are some kids from Colorado I think we need to take a pass on. If the want to walk on fine.

RB - I want Ballage (bad) or Freeman of the guys we are looking at right now. I like size, speed and durability in a back more the the jitterbug, make you miss pint sized back.

WR - Keenen Brown, Jalen Brown

OL - Sam Jones, Damien Mama, Trenton Noller, Isaiah Holland, and Conner Mayes

DL - Greg Gaines (talented and looks mean) and Peyton Newell

DE - Nifae Lealao

OLB - Otaro Olaka, Marquis Ware

Safety. Holy eff we're f'ed there.

The only guys returning in '14 are Mosley (there's something going on here too), Tedric Thompson (academic risk), and Jered Bell SR. Can you say JUCO

1) Offensive tackle. The top 2 left tackles on the spring depth chart should be playing right guard. This scares me. Duff said it well, we need a handful of guys with length. A JUCO would be nice but I won't get my hopes up.

2) Defensive tackle. You should be taking 2 every year and we took 0 in 2013. If Embree had managed the redshirt situation of the 2012 class better this would be less of a need as we actually have some talent. But right now we're looking at a big roster hole at a position that's notoriously difficult to recruit.

3) Tight End. Everything I've heard about the MacIntyre/Lindgren offense has mentioned heavy use of the tight end. I would rather not see any of our currently-practicing tight ends used heavily. Time for an upgrade. Sell early playing time.

4) Defensive Back. I don't think there is an urgent need to bring in huge numbers. But we do need a couple guys each at CB and S and they NEED to have legit Pac-12 talent. As in, multiple Pac-12 offers in addition to us. These are not positions where we can get away with bringing in plan B and C.

QB is an obvious need and always will be. RB just missed my list. At DE, LB, OG and WR the coaching staff can wait to see how the younger players and incoming recruits do over the upcoming season. The top 4 areas I have listed are what should be getting the most early attention.

As far as positions, I think we're finally in a place where HCMM can recruit a pretty balanced class.

Example (20 scholarships):

1 QB
2 RB
2 TE
2 WR
4 OL
4 DL
2 LB
3 DB

I'm at a point where I hope CU takes a more NFL mentality. Best possible player. Create an overall big board, not by position. Fill other positions by adding JuCos. Huge pipe dream, I know. Fastest way to return to being a competitive program.

I think the OP hits it pretty accurately here. I won't be as concerned about numbers at OT if that's where this year's greyshirt and next year's end up, along with the two class of '13 kids coming in this fall.

We are probably (Finally) at the point where we need balance in our classes to a great extent than recruiting to find 8-12 guys who can play next year to fill immediate needs. I think just about everyone in this incoming class will redshirt, except for 2-3 and that's a bit more normal.

Cutting down on the number of defections and washouts is imperative and it appears to me that HCMM is recruiting accordingly. A lot of these kids coming in and/or getting offers right now are really good students.

Well, about the only place where the Buffs do have numbers and talent is DT. (Solis, Topu, Hennington, Rasmussen) But even that position cannot be neglected. There is talent at CB (KC, Yuri, Hendo) but numbers are needed. Beyond that, you may have a few positions where one player has the tools, but there is no depth at all. TE (Hobbs), RB (Powell/Abron), OT (Nembot), WR (PRich). Honestly, help at any position by blue chip talent is needed. I'd almost go with the "best player willing to commit" approach.

Back