What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Biggest needs in the 2016 class?

Here's the thing though: we really are not even getting quality blocking TEs. Obviously Graham was special, truly a great all-around TE. But we don't even have one dimensional TEs on the roster right now. That really needs to change.

I think Irwin will develop into a Lepsis type TE over his last 2 years. He was a strong blocker as a soph, and continued to improve as the season went along.

I think Irwin will develop into a Lepsis type TE over his last 2 years. He was a strong blocker as a soph, and continued to improve as the season went along.
I'll believe it when I see it in the short yardage running game.

I've said it a lot, but I'll repeat it here - TE is probably the most difficult position to project at the college level. Most high schools don't utilize the TE. It's a matter of time and resources. *Most* high schools are run-first because in order to instill a passing game, you need a quarterback and OL that can pass protect... and receivers. TEs are the very last piece of the passing game puzzle, and not one that probably 95% of high schools ever even bother with. So in order to recruit a TE, you're probably looking at undersized OL, WRs that can bulk up, linebackers who "fit the mold", or fullbacks. Getting a TE right out of high school is pretty unusual. Guys like Daniel Graham don't come along very often.

To add to this HS teams that are good at passing the ball usually put a plus athlete or two on the outside and try to have them run by people.

Passing to a TE in the middle requires more complex reads and precise timing, something HS teams don't have or won't take the time to develop.

Starting to think it sets up for a two QB class (one high school, one JUCO) in 2016.

Think of it this way: you bring an experienced guy in for insurance in 2016 and you potentially have a senior starter in 2017.

I understand your logic, and it definitely makes sense. I guess I'm hoping one of the guys we have on the roster now and/or Montez will have shown enough to be that insurance and for us to feel comfortable with them moving into a starting role. Your point is still a good one though, we may end up with the flexibility in that class to think about a second QB.

Agree with both Nik and lawdogg. The main question is obviously Gehrke. If he moves on before 2016, you would think another upperclassman would look desirable to MacIntyre.

Bumping this since spring practices are wrapping up. Thinking now the needs are: ILB, CB, and WR.

Bumping this since spring practices are wrapping up. Thinking now the needs are: ILB, CB, and WR.

Something that I don't quite understand yet is what the prototype for ILB vs OLB is going to be in this scheme. Also, how interchangeable the 3 DLs are going to be or if 1 or 2 of them are more like a 4-3 DE (NFL sized) while 1 or 2 of them are more like NTs or if all 3 each have specific and different skill set needs.

Something that I don't quite understand yet is what the prototype for ILB vs OLB is going to be in this scheme. Also, how interchangeable the 3 DLs are going to be or if 1 or 2 of them are more like a 4-3 DE (NFL sized) while 1 or 2 of them are more like NTs or if all 3 each have specific and different skill set needs.
My sense is a traditional MIKE and WILL LBs are essential, guys who need to be your three-down LBs. I think the traditional SAM is a bit more expendable. Could be wrong though.

Yeah on WR. I know I harp on it, but I just feel like CU is always just behind the curve at that position. We're better off than in years past, but still not great. Really wish they would've done better than just getting Jan last year, and I'd feel a lot better right now if we had Tony Brown coming in the fall. I think we now need at least 2 Tony Browns in this next class.

Yeah on WR. I know I harp on it, but I just feel like CU is always just behind the curve at that position. We're better off than in years past, but still not great. Really wish they would've done better than just getting Jan last year, and I'd feel a lot better right now if we had Tony Brown coming in the fall. I think we now need at least 2 Tony Browns in this next class.
I was surprised to see only one WR in 2015, but maybe the coaches are confident in finding some impact players in this class. The empty 2012 class is being felt now.

Back