What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Billy Donovan has left Florida for OKC Thunder

Well the Chandler and Green part was back in 09, when they were paying Harden, Westbrook, and Durant a combined 13m. I wouldn't have expected them to keep Chandler and Green. However, Cap space doesn't matter for contenders, they sign players with different exception contracts, which they'd have no problem finding ring chasing vets with a core of Harden, Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka. I also don't think you need all that much after those 4. Look how much guys like Perkins, Collison, Morrow, and Waiters make to do absolutely nothing on that team (or when they were on that team).

Bennett bought the team for $350m and Forbes values it at $930m, which really means the franchise is worth somewhere around $1.5b. The Thunder have/had whatever money they needed to pay for the luxury tax. They likely would have made up the difference in the extra 3-6 home games they would have gotten by not getting bounced in the semis or earlier like they're stuck with now.

But they haven't been able to sign "ring
chasing vets" because they're a small market team. (ie Pau Gasol this year).

The fact that the team is worth $1.5 billion doesn't mean they are sitting on that much cash. It's still a cash poor team. Net profit was only about $11 million last year. Get into the luxury tax, and particularly the repeat offender tax and the team is operating in the red.

I get it that Seattle fans are whiney bitches about losing the Thunder. Lots of sour grapes there for fans who didn't care that much when the team was actually there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they haven't been able to sign "ring
chasing vets" because they're a small market team. (ie Pau Gasol this year).

The fact that the team is worth $1.5 billion doesn't mean they are sitting on that much cash. It's still a cash poor team. Net profit was only about $11 million last year. Get into the luxury tax, and particularly the repeat offender tax and the team is operating in the red.

I get it that Seattle fans are whiney bitches about losing the Thunder. Lots of sour grapes there for fans who didn't care that much when the team was actually there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you kidding me? Sonics had one of the most passionate fan bases in the NBA.

**** the Thunder. I can't wait until Durant leaves that ****hole, followed shortly by Westbrook, followed shortly by the team as the fans stop showing up.

**** the Thunder. I can't wait until Durant leaves that ****hole, followed shortly by Westbrook, followed shortly by the team as the fans stop showing up.

Yeah but then they will just go to the lakers lol which is worse?

"Had" is the key word.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably still have more NBA message boards and blogs than OKC fans.

They got screwed. Of the 30 NBA teams, Seattle was in the top third of fan bases. Right after the Celtics, Lakers, Knicks and Bulls in terms of franchises I would have said should be in their city forever. In the same class as the Pistons and 76ers.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Donovan was Florida baskeball. It's a football school. Removing Donovan from the equation, UF is no more of an elite hoops destination for a recruit than Georgia or Tennessee. He went above and beyond what the ceiling should have been for him there.

not entirely true, Lon Kruger had good teams in the 90's and a Final Four. UF has been pretty solid hoops for 30 years. so, they are losing recruiting battles (and cheating) to Kentucky, who isn't?

i've read in this board for years that CU is a "football school".

Last edited:
Reactions: aik
I think you would be surprised. Good facilities and a top notch AD with the basketball program in good shape (even with the bad year last year they still have talent coming in).

Basketball facilities are a mixed bag at UF - the team has its own practice facility which is fairly modern but the game venue, the O'Connell Center (O'Dome), is an absolute dump. As noted earlier in the thread, the O'Dome is scheduled to get a complete interior gutting and renovation to modernize it. The project was supposed to start this spring but was recently pushed back a year...

As far as Foley goes, there is no question that his performance up until this point qualifies him as a top notch AD, but IMO, the next 2-3 years are critical for him - if Sparkles and whoever fills Billy D's shoes don't pan out as hires, it would not surprise me at all to see him either resign or get forced out...UF stakeholders won't tolerate having 2 bad football coaches in a row and it certainly won't help his cause if the basketball coach fails to perform well...

Wouldn't surprise me.

Donovan was Florida baskeball. It's a football school. Removing Donovan from the equation, UF is no more of an elite hoops destination for a recruit than Georgia or Tennessee. He went above and beyond what the ceiling should have been for him there.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty accurate assessment of the direction UF hoops will go in - there are no coaches out there that UF can get that are even remotely close to the stature of Donovan, so whoever UF does end up hiring will be an underwhelming hire and will need to win immediately. The cupboard is pretty bare at UF right now - the team is coming off a sub-.500 season (somewhat expected after the loss of 4 senior starters from the Final Four team the season prior), and already 3 players from this most recent team have left before their eligibility is up - 2 early entries to the draft and 1 transfer. I don't think there is a coach out there that will be able to instantly turn what's left around...

Andy Katz said in his video this morning that Chris Mack from Xavier and Archie Miller from Dayton are on the short list for the FLorida job.

Yahoo also reporting that Louisiana Tech Head Coach Michael White is the emerging leader.

Last edited:
People are still trying to defend the Harden trade?
In all honesty I think there were rumors that Harden wanted out to run his own team. So in the end, a good move to get some value for him before his deal was up. Then again they probably could have won a ship with him the next year and possibly convinced him to stay for cheap.

White's dad is the AD at Duke. Three or four years apprenticeship at Florida sounds about right

He would need to win a championship in these 3-4 years to even be in the discussion for Duke. Kevin White would upset a lot of alum and fans, not to mention Coach K and former players, if he chose a HC outside of the Coach K family.

Solid hire though in my opinion for Florida. I think Florida is a great job, and rank it higher than a lot of you on these boards seem to. Florida does have some history prior to Donovan, and while still a football school, they seem to get behind the bball program. It is tough to replace a legend though, so I wouldn't be surprised if White's struggles are lionized and forced into an earlier replacement.

He would need to win a championship in these 3-4 years to even be in the discussion for Duke. Kevin White would upset a lot of alum and fans, not to mention Coach K and former players, if he chose a HC outside of the Coach K family.

Solid hire though in my opinion for Florida. I think Florida is a great job, and rank it higher than a lot of you on these boards seem to. Florida does have some history prior to Donovan, and while still a football school, they seem to get behind the bball program. It is tough to replace a legend though, so I wouldn't be surprised if White's struggles are lionized and forced into an earlier replacement.

My read of the Duke situation is that following K's retirement, it would be a political suicide to choose anyone other than Jeff Capel... unless you hired someone from a short list of Dukies headed by Amaker, Hurley and Dawkins.

It could be like the Alabama situation post-Bryant when for a couple decades they couldn't get past the boosters to hire a football coach unless the guy had a connection to Bear. Even if the first K-tied coaching hire was a failure, there would be tremendous pressure to hire a different K-tied guy for that replacement. UNC was like that after Dean. Fortunately for them they got it right with Williams on the 2nd try and it has worked out.

My read of the Duke situation is that following K's retirement, it would be a political suicide to choose anyone other than Jeff Capel... unless you hired someone from a short list of Dukies headed by Amaker, Hurley and Dawkins.

It could be like the Alabama situation post-Bryant when for a couple decades they couldn't get past the boosters to hire a football coach unless the guy had a connection to Bear. Even if the first K-tied coaching hire was a failure, there would be tremendous pressure to hire a different K-tied guy for that replacement. UNC was like that after Dean. Fortunately for them they got it right with Williams on the 2nd try and it has worked out.

we hired two different Mac guys. the second was about 15 years after Mac retired.

i kind of like Jeff Capel but the argument for him is not that strong at OU. Elite 8 with Blake Griffin. Quin Snyder had an Elite 8 at Mizzou and he didn't have Blake. at least Quin didn't put MU on probation. though, he almost did apparently with the Clarence Gilbert mysterious on campus incident. and apparently a lot of coke and banging Linus Kleiza's gf. i know that's all true because i read at Tigerboard.com inna day. ah, the Golden Years of Message Boards.....the early 00's.

Last edited:
we hired two different Mac guys. the second was about 15 years after Mac retired.

i kind of like Jeff Capel but the argument for him is not that strong at OU. Elite 8 with Blake Griffin. Quin Snyder had an Elite 8 at Mizzou and he didn't have Blake. at least Quin didn't put MU on probation. though, he almost did apparently with the Clarence Gilbert mysterious on campus incident. and apparently a lot of coke and banging Linus Kleiza's gf. i know that's all true because i read at Tigerboard.com inna day. ah, the Golden Years of Message Boards.....the early 00's.

ricky clemons not clarence gilbert, my bad. and quin did put MU on probation. hooray. what a world we live in.

Back