What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Blessing In Disguise ?

Dream job? There is no one out there that has CU as its dream job at this point. You hire the best coach you can when you are in this position and definitely don't worry about him leaving for greener pastures.
I don't know if I agree with you. Probably noone, or almost nooone already a HC at on a BCS team, but I bet lots of people who have been to Colorado or lived in Colorado, would like the chance to take the reigns of a team that only a few decades ago was a national champion AND More than any thing else I just said, is willing to pay top $ for a good coach and commit to $200m in facilities upgrades....

I think this would be the dream job for many people, including DeRuyter, McIntyre, etc.

Does that mean if we hire them they would never leave? Not sure. But not sure that is healthy for a university any ways.

Barnett was a good coach who got a lot out of talent. He won us our last conference title. What the **** do you think ruined his career? It's not that hard and it's not bad coaching that did.
Just saying you can't compare Mac to Barnett. It's also strange though that the last FOUR hires aren't even coaching right now(I have a feeling Embo will wind back up in the NFL thought, but Pigeon, Gary and Rick are all unemployed). Says all I need to need to know about how much we value hiring a good coach. Where are you Bill Marolt?

He would have been a tremendous hire ....

This whole Butch Jones quest felt funny from almost day one. I have a feeling this may end up being a big blessing in disguise. IMHO this wasn't his dream job and I bet he would have jumped ship when it was right for him. Good riddance Butch....
Jones chose Cincinnati over CU AND Purdue, nothing wrong with that, got to give him credit, Jones did not JUMP Cincy's SHIP.

CU is a high risk job and most good head coaches know that. Winning at CU has alluded the last three head coaches at CU and ruined their future head coaching careers. I am not going to cry any tears over any of them since they all walked away with SERIOUS money in the end.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a guy who isn't ready for the big tent.

I don't question his coaching ability.

But anyone who is so worried about media leaks and hiding behind food carts to avoid his photo being taken is completely unrealistic about the life of a head coach in a Power 5 conference. If you want to make the kind of money that comes with one of these jobs and have a legit opportunity to be competing for a championship, you can't also be someone who expects to be in the media (including social) only at the time and circumstances of your own choosing.

Right now, I'm feeling like we missed out on a great coach who would have been a mess in this environment. Butch Jones to Tennessee makes me laugh. This guy will go nuclear when he discovers that his wife and kids can't go to the grocery store after a loss without adult giving them a hard time.
about where I am at at this point.

Jones chose Cincinnati over CU AND Purdue, nothing wrong with that, got to give him credit, Jones did not JUMP Cincy's SHIP.

Yet. He didn't jump Cincy's SHIP YET. In the end, there's a pretty strong possibility he chose Tennessee over UC, CU or Purdue...

Back