What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Blog Source- Big 10 & SEC To Expand To 16... Big 12 May Follow

For some real outside the box thinking--how about trying to poach a couple of Canadian schools, say University of British Columbia and University of Calgary. Sure, college football is not as big in Canada, but maybe that can change if they start playing US big-time schools. And sure, they would have to start playing on a 100 yard field and having 4 downs instead of 3, but it has a great upside potential. And it would be a totally fresh, unexpected move.

For some real outside the box thinking--how about trying to poach a couple of Canadian schools, say University of British Columbia and University of Calgary. Sure, college football is not as big in Canada, but maybe that can change if they start playing US big-time schools. And sure, they would have to start playing on a 100 yard field and having 4 downs instead of 3, but it has a great upside potential. And it would be a totally fresh, unexpected move.

Plus we could get in on that Hawk-like creative recruiting.

great idea, lets grab a school in Mexico city, one in Vancouver one in Tokyo and the other in China.

our media right deal will be HUGE.

Not gonna happen

But, it's an internet message board, and it's fun to kick around completely unrealistic ideas that have absolutely zero chance of ever being implemented. So, in the internet message board fantasy land:
This is actually an awesome idea. It's not quite so removed from reality as I at first expected either. UBC definitely has the academic chops to hang in the P12, they are about the right size (38,000 undergrad, 10,000 grad, $1 billion endowment), and the Thunderbirds have expressed an interest within the last 5 years of joining the NCAA. Calgary is a bigger stretch for a lot of reasons. A little smaller (25,000 undergrad, 6,000 grad, $500MM endowment), their academic reputation isn't the same as UBC, but they take their football seriously, the dinos have won the national championship 4 times since 1980, and they've only lost 5 games (total) the last 4 years.

Plus, the road trips would be a blast - both cities are wonderful places to visit.

Calgary is so much like Denver that sometimes when I'm up there I forget I'm not home.

This doesn't have any relevance to this thread because I don't know how Canada's collegiate sports fit with our own. I just love the city of Calgary.
in the 2 seconds I spent "researching" the question (I looked it up on wikipedia), I learned that UBC actually competes in the NAIA in some sports, and has been considering becoming a DII NCAA school. From a logistical standpoint, this makes sense - the closest major Canadian university to them is in Calgary - 600 miles away. There are 4 Division 1 schools in the P12 closer to them than that, and a host of DII schools inside that radius.

since we are internet speculating
Simon Fraser University also now competes in D-II NCAA, so it also possible we can grab them as together with UBC, in the standpoint of which one closer by logistics over University of Calgary

In the eee s pee in link below, I like what Ted Miller said about any future P-12 expansion. If the other P-12 schools/presidents don't want conference expansion then it probably won't happen and as pointed out here many times and in Ted's article, there also appears to be a serious lack of schools in the western half of the country that can't bring a large TV following to the P-12. So for now, I'll assume it's not going to happen anytime soon unless the B-12 starts to implode again. Personally, I like the way the P-12 looks and the way it projects itself to the rest of the county. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! However, no one can be sure if Larry Scott really shares the same opinion with Ted as he would like us to believe. In the same link, there is also a report card by Ted on the Buffs 2012 FB season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12

In the eee s pee in link below, I like what Ted Miller said about any future P-12 expansion. If the other P-12 schools/presidents don't want conference expansion then it probably won't happen and as pointed out here many times and in Ted's article, there also appears to be a serious lack of schools in the western half of the country that can't bring a large TV following to the P-12. So for now, I'll assume it's not going to happen anytime soon unless the B-12 starts to implode again. Personally, I like the way the P-12 looks and the way it projects itself to the rest of the county. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! However, no one can be sure if Larry Scott really shares the same opinion with Ted as he would like us to believe. In the same link, there is also a report card by Ted on the Buffs 2012 FB season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12

Exactly, this is about profitable DMA's. There are only two teams that make sense for expansion - Texas and Notre Dame. And neither are coming to the P12 for various reasons. Everyone else that's remotely close or in the B12 would not be a value add.

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_Ranks2.pdf

I would rather have the PAC 12 sit where it is and watch and see how 16 teams in other conferences inevitably becomes a mess.

Other than the speculation piece in the OP it is hard to find anything serious about the B1G being highly enthusiastic about expanding past where they are now. The only schools that would be of significant benefit to them would be ND and Texas, each of which seems to be a long shot. It is hard to see many of the other potential additions adding more revenue than they would take from the conference pie.

As long as the B1G isn't at 16 there is no pressure on the PAC to expand since the two conferences tend to work hand in hand on many issues.

Other than the speculation piece in the OP it is hard to find anything serious about the B1G being highly enthusiastic about expanding past where they are now. The only schools that would be of significant benefit to them would be ND and Texas, each of which seems to be a long shot. It is hard to see many of the other potential additions adding more revenue than they would take from the conference pie.

As long as the B1G isn't at 16 there is no pressure on the PAC to expand since the two conferences tend to work hand in hand on many issues.

To me B1G looks more like a B16 than it does B10. I think they should be excited for that reason alone.

Has that joke been made yet? It's been a while since I checked into this thread.

The way things are set up, your scenario can't come to pass. As SEC & B10 revenues increase, so will the revenues of the Pac 12. And we'll only have to split the revenues 12 ways. You don't expand for the sake of expanding. Just because the Big 10 has 16 schools is no reason for us to do the same. They're all fishing in the same pond. We have our own pond that we don't need to share with anybody.

Sackman is 100% right.

How is Tobacco Road breaking up good for those ACC schools. Once they leave they lose the power they currently wield in any new conference. Yes they love money but some also like POWER even more.

Texas will never come to the Pac 12 unless they get into some financial difficulty. Don't see them doing that anytime soon.

How is Tobacco Road breaking up good for those ACC schools. Once they leave they lose the power they currently wield in any new conference. Yes they love money but some also like POWER even more.

Texas will never come to the Pac 12 unless they get into some financial difficulty. Don't see them doing that anytime soon.

To the bold, it's really dependent on whether they're good businesspeople or not. They already understand that independence doesn't work. (It's better to own 10% of a bakery than 100% of an Easy Bake Oven.). Now it's a matter of them figuring out that it's better to own 10% and be a veep in a large multi-national versus owning 10% and being CEO of a middling national competitor.

I don't blame you. CU's record agaisnt SWC remnants was grim, espeically agaisnt UT.

Really? We dominated UT in the era of modern football (can we agree to call that 25 years?) while they were still a SWC team and shortly after the SWC collapse. It wasn't until Texas became entrenched as a Big XII team did we begin to struggle against them.

Really? We dominated UT in the era of modern football (can we agree to call that 25 years?) while they were still a SWC team and shortly after the SWC collapse. It wasn't until Texas became entrenched as a Big XII team did we begin to struggle against them.
He also likes soccer, what do you expect?

I don't blame you. CU's record agaisnt SWC remnants was grim, espeically agaisnt UT.

Okay, I went back and looked at some schedules.

CU beat SWC Texas in 1990, 1994 and Post SWC Texas again in 96 and 97. Texas beat CU exactly ZERO times during that span.

Furthermore, despite sharing a conference with SWC remnants starting in 1996 (and typically playing SWC teams twice a year) the mighty SWC remnants managed to beat CU only twice in the first four years after the merge.

It was pretty dismal after the SWC joined the Big XII for a while.

Texas managed to beat CU for the first time in 2000, and again in 2001, though CU beat Texas when it mattered in the Conference game that year.

So is it ancient history? Yes. Did CU struggle against Texas after that time? Absolutely, but it happens to correspond to a period when CU struggled against everybody.

We're struggling far more against the Pac 12 then we ever did against the SWC teams, for whatever that's worth.

CU beat SWC Texas in 1990, 1994 and Post SWC Texas again in 96 and 97. Texas beat CU exactly ZERO times during that span.

Furthermore, despite sharing a conference with SWC remnants starting in 1996 (and typically playing SWC teams twice a year) the mighty SWC remnants managed to beat CU only twice in the first four years after the merge.

Texas managed to beat CU for the first time in 2000, and again in 2001, though CU beat Texas when it mattered in the Conference game that year.

So is it ancient history? Yes. Did CU struggle against Texas after that time? Absolutely, but it happens to correspond to a period when CU struggled against everybody.

We're struggling far more against the Pac 12 then we ever did against the SWC teams, for whatever that's worth.

CU's record agaisnt Texas since 2000, for whatever that's worth.

L
10-14-2000
Boulder, CO
L
10-20-2001
Austin, TX
W
12-01-2001
Irving, TX
Big 12 Championship Game
L
10-30-2004
Boulder, CO
L
10-15-2005
Austin, TX
L
12-03-2005
Houston, TX
Big 12 Championship Game
L
10-04-2008
Boulder, CO
L
10-10-2009
Austin, TX

'89 and '90, dummie.

Back