What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bob Stoops Stepping Down at OU

I hope we won't lose HCMM to the Sooners given his unsigned contract extension.

Wow. Although I have thought for several years that the OU program could use a breath of fresh air. Just didn't expect this timing. I know nothing about the replacement. I'll be interested to see the comments on him.

Lincoln Riley stepping in as Head Coach. They make it sound like that's a permanent replacement.

Shades of Gary Gibbs. Let's hope with the same result.

The timing does seem odd. Although when you stop to think about it, it makes some sense. Recruiting is in a quiet period. The season doesn't start for another three months. Lots of time for the new guy to get his feet under him. I suspect this was not a surprise to most program insiders.

The timing does seem odd. Although when you stop to think about it, it makes some sense. Recruiting is in a quiet period. The season doesn't start for another three months. Lots of time for the new guy to get his feet under him. I suspect this was not a surprise to most program insiders.
Riley was being groomed for over a year.

Big task as a first time head coach to handle that pressure.
True. I was more curious if you knew much about his pedigree and if you found him to be an able replacement with solid upside. I have never heard his name.

True. I was more curious if you knew much about his pedigree and if you found him to be an able replacement with solid upside. I have never heard his name.

Riley has rapidly moved up the ranks, but I think most expected this move a couple years down the road.

Crazy thing they just said on the radio, if you are a recruit right now, he has been at OU your entire life.

Riley was being groomed for over a year.

Riley was in the grooming process. Folks down here were afraid another program would grab him.

A rivals guy said that a few "ins" have indicated this has been in the works for a while. He's skeptial of that since, if true, the secret was kept hidden so well for so long.

There is a family history of heart issues. Not sure if this had anything to do with the decision or timing.

My UT friends are positively giddy.

They should be. This is like when Mack Brown left. When a so dominant figure leaves, the immediate successor is almost always destined to fail. Only 2 exceptions I can think of are Montana/Young and Favre/Rodgers (and I think it's fair to mention QBs here).

They should be. This is like when Mack Brown left. When a so dominant figure leaves, the immediate successor is almost always destined to fail. Only 2 exceptions I can think of are Montana/Young and Favre/Rodgers (and I think it's fair to mention QBs here).
Can anyone think of a coaching example that has worked out to even be remotely successful?

I think this is beautiful timing. Absolutely no distractions for the team and recruits due to the media circling like buzzards 24/7. Brilliantly pulled off if this was the plan.

Can anyone think of a coaching example that has worked out to even be remotely successful?

Walsh/Seifert or Shankly/Paisley at Liverpool when I look at sports outside football, but that alone shows you how rare that is.

And with Seifert you can argue that Walsh left him Montana, Young and Rice.

Nixon/Ford

Back