What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn extended

I don't have a problem with how Bohn has handled the men's basketball program. He's had mixed results with the non-revenue programs.

Other than that, it feels like some of the programs were torn down so they could be rebuilt. Football's the obvious example, but the same thing happened with WBB and Volleyball. Those were some good programs that went in the crapper for a while.

Oh they could get much worse. We could be like Wazzu and get a couple wins a year, instead we were still flirting with bowl eligibility almost every year with our worst coach ever.

I think Bohn has done a great job. I think he has done an outstanding job hiring and promoting. Hawkins was one of the hottest names out there when hired. A lot of big time programs would have taken a serious look at him.It didn't work out and Bohn learned from that mistake and hired someone from within the family that has seen CU at it's best.

CSU extension is really the only big **** up I've seen out of Bohn.

So you're saying they need some sort of Bohn Extension in (the) Wazzu?

I don't have a problem with how Bohn has handled the men's basketball program. He's had mixed results with the non-revenue programs.

Other than that, it feels like some of the programs were torn down so they could be rebuilt. Football's the obvious example, but the same thing happened with WBB and Volleyball. Those were some good programs that went in the crapper for a while.

What, specifically, does this mean?

What, specifically, does this mean?

It felt like a drastic paradigm shift as far as the culture within the AD and specific programs. It seemed like winning was secondary. A lot of our programs were doing well, but they weren't doing well consistently. We'd have a couple stars come through, have a good season or two, rebuild. There were also problems with the administration and it wasn't a one-way street. We had behavioral issues and academic issues. Coaches were brought in with priority one being to change culture and rebuild for sustained success with programs that were run in a way that would garner greater administrative and community support.

He hired him. He is the athletic director. But I guess it is unreasonable to hold the head of the athletic department responsible for the success of... the athletic department. :rolling_eyes:

Well then hell, we should fire Benson and all the Regents, too. After all, they're the ones who hired him, right? Your argument is baseless. An athletic director is responsible for the overall health of the athletic department. He's responsible for hiring coaches, fundraising, putting people in the seats, generating excitement, connecting with the community, and overseeing an 8-figure budget. He made a mistake in hiring Hawkins. He corrected that mistake. Asking him to be personally responsible for the on-field performance of the football team is like asking the CEO of Starbucks to be responsible to get your your Carmel Latte at just the right temperature.

I just want an athletic director that is respected within the school. I know Mike is a good guy, and people respect him as a person, but I have my doubts if everyone within the school respects his decision making abilities. His credibility was shot when DiSteph decided to keep Hawkins, when Mike was already vetting potential new HC's. I also think it was messed up that he did it while MB was in Hawaii with the MBB team. I don't think you can repair that damage.

I respect the job he's done getting us out of the mess left by Tharp, but this program needs to take the next step. I just don't feel MB is the guy that will take us to the next level that I know CU deserves to be at.

Last edited:
Well then hell, we should fire Benson and all the Regents, too. After all, they're the ones who hired him, right? Your argument is baseless. An athletic director is responsible for the overall health of the athletic department. He's responsible for hiring coaches, fundraising, putting people in the seats, generating excitement, connecting with the community, and overseeing an 8-figure budget. He made a mistake in hiring Hawkins. He corrected that mistake. Asking him to be personally responsible for the on-field performance of the football team is like asking the CEO of Starbucks to be responsible to get your your Carmel Latte at just the right temperature.

This may be the worst analogy in the history of analogies. In this industry, the fate of ADs is tied to the success of the success of football and basketball programs. Holding them responsible for the record of the teams is far from outside the norm. The only reason that anyone cares about the PR prowess of an AD is because it is supposed to correlate directly with the success of the school's athletic teams. No one is cheering for the bottom line except via its effect on facilities, quality of coaches, etc.

CU has been bad in football and basketball since Bohn got here. Everything else is secondary. No one cares if he is a good cheerleader if the teams aren't winning because he has made poor hires.

But yeah, athletic directors are to quality of football team as the CEO of Starbucks is to a single cup of coffee. Give me a ****ing break.

This may be the worst analogy in the history of analogies. In this industry, the fate of ADs is tied to the success of the success of football and basketball programs. Holding them responsible for the record of the teams is far from outside the norm. The only reason that anyone cares about the PR prowess of an AD is because it is supposed to correlate directly with the success of the school's athletic teams. No one is cheering for the bottom line except via its effect on facilities, quality of coaches, etc.

CU has been bad in football and basketball since Bohn got here. Everything else is secondary. No one cares if he is a good cheerleader if the teams aren't winning because he has made poor hires.

But yeah, athletic directors are to quality of football team as the CEO of Starbucks is to a single cup of coffee. Give me a ****ing break.

So you don't see any progress in those two sports... I know potential means nothing, and is not a sure thing.... but I see a hell a lot of potential in both those programs and quite a bit of progress. Bohn has been remarkable in every other aspect of the AD (administrative duties, ticket sales, etc) and maybe I am an optimist by I sure see plenty to be excited about in the NEAR future in basketball and football. And yeah basketball was real bad last year lmfao

I just want an athletic director that is respected within the school. I know Mike is a good guy, and people respect him as a person, but I have my doubts if everyone within the school respects his decision making abilities. His credibility was shot when DiSteph decided to keep Hawkins, when Mike was already vetting potential new HC's. I also think it was messed up that he did it while MB was in Hawaii with the MBB team. I don't think you can repair that damage.

I respect the job he's done getting us out of the mess left by Tharp, but this program needs to take the next step. I just don't feel MB is the guy that will take us to the next level that I know CU deserves to be at.

I think the AD is now in a good position to be successful. I commend Bohn for that. I am also skeptical on whether is the type of leader that will demand, and therefore drive, victory. Count me as a member of the "Hoping to Eat Crow Club(TM)".

I think the AD is now in a good position to be successful. I commend Bohn for that. I am also skeptical on whether is the type of leader that will demand, and therefore drive, victory. Count me as a member of the "Hoping to Eat Crow Club(TM)".
Already got that club trademarked? :lol: I hope to be in that club as well.

One thing that irks me is how the AD didn't capitalize off of last years conference change to secure funding for a permanent facility for football. You have to strike when the iron is hot.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he's just waiting to announce the plans.

Already got that club trademarked? :lol: I hope to be in that club as well.

One thing that irks me is how the AD didn't capitalize off of last years conference change to secure funding for a permanent facility for football. You have to strike when the iron is hot.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he's just waiting to announce the plans.
he's doing the right thing and paying off loans. the facilities will come.

Believe me, I can come up with a much worse analagy.

Joe Castiglione fired three football coaches at Oklahoma before he finally found Bob Stoops. By YOUR definition, he's a failure. Of course, that's moronic and you know it. The job of the AD is not to ensure success on the field. I'm sorry if you do not know what his job entails. For that, I have been doing my best to educate you. You don't seem to be willing to learn. Your loss.

Joe Castiglione fired three football coaches at Oklahoma before he finally found Bob Stoops. By YOUR definition, he's a failure. Of course, that's moronic and you know it. The job of the AD is not to ensure success on the field. I'm sorry if you do not know what his job entails. For that, I have been doing my best to educate you. You don't seem to be willing to learn. Your loss.

I thought he got the AD job in 98. How could he have fired three coaches?
Castiglione was hired at Oklahoma in April of 1998.

John Blake 1996–1998
Bob Stoops 1999–present

Putting in the extra "a" really draws attention to the meaning of the first half of the word.

I thought he got the AD job in 98. How could he have fired three coaches?

John Blake 1996–1998
Bob Stoops 1999–present

For some reason, I thought he was around since the days of Switzer. Maybe I was thinking of Dodds at UT, who went through a bunch of guys before he finally got to Mack. No matter.

For some reason, I thought he was around since the days of Switzer. Maybe I was thinking of Dodds at UT, who went through a bunch of guys before he finally got to Mack. No matter.

I had it in my head that he had been there for Schnellenberger. I was wrong, I guess, but I swear there was a quote from someone that sacky was referencing. Maybe it was something like it taking the 3rd coach after Switzer to get it right even though the AD didn't do the actual hiring of the first two.

Hence, we can conclude that the previous AD probably got let go because of his poor coaching hires.

I'm not advocating Bohn be fired; I do think, however, that it would have been better to wait on the extension.

Reading into something that may or not be there, I suspect this was payback for the administration telling him he had to keep D2 an extra year. He worked a deal. "I'll keep this worthless piece of sh*t football coach for another year, and I'll take the heat that's inevitably going to come as the result, but YOU WILL GIVE ME A CONTRACT EXTENSION".

Leash, you gotta admit this is a stretch. We never flirted with bowl eligibility in 2006 or 2009. 2010 was heading down the same path before a change was made and even then it was a longshot. We are talking three years out of five where we were mostly really bad and one of the worst BCS conference teams in country.

There is no way to spin the Hawkins hire/subsequent extension. It was an outright failure.

I do agree that Bohn has done a lot of good things in his tenure though.

Ya you're right, I think I got sidetracked into talking about Hawkins instead of what Bohn did. I am trying to say that Hawkins was in fact a great hire at the time. He was a big name. Some guys work out, some dont. Hawkins was a huge failure and you can't fault Bohn for hiring him IMO. A lot of programs would have hired him out of Boise.

Ok, so his hiring hasn't been mind blowing but a lot of great programs go through many coaches to find a great coach. Finding a great coach is a damn hard thing to do. Alabama, USC, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Notre Dame and Oklahoma are all great examples of schools who have had to try out different coaches before they found the right guy to get out of tough times.

Last edited:
Back