What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn extended

I'm still waiting to hear someone named who would do a BETTER job that Mike Bohn has done / is currently doing. Be careful what you wish for.

So I take it you have never been overruled in your job? Or that you quit when it happened?
You don't think it was strange on how public that whole issue was? IMO the whole thing came off as very disrespectful to MB. I feel it really damaged his credibility inside the AD.

It's not the fact that he got overruled, it's just how the situation got handled by DiSteph. My boss and I are both on the same page. I don't think he has to come down and do my job for me. If I'm wrong on an issue, he'll let me know and let me fix the issue with my subordinates. My boss is intelligent enough to handle a situation without making his managers look like idots.

Last edited:
You don't think it was strange on how public that whole issue was? IMO the whole thing came off as very disrespectful to MB. I feel it really damaged his credibility inside the AD.

My boss and I are both on the same page. I don't think he has to come down and do my job for me. If I'm wrong on an issue, he'll let me know and let me fix the issue. I don't think DiSteph handled this deal in the right way.

I don't disagree 100% with you but you are forgetting an important corollary. If MB really has been neutered and lost effectiveness as a leader, what makes you think there are lots of highly qualified ADs waiting in the wings and eager to take a job under the same university administration that cut MB off at the knees? The reason you think MB should be replaced is also a huge red flag to any "better" replacement that DiStefano could approach.

I don't disagree 100% with you but you are forgetting an important corollary. If MB really has been neutered and lost effectiveness as a leader, what makes you think there are lots of highly qualified ADs waiting in the wings and eager to take a job under the same university administration that cut MB off at the knees? The reason you think MB should be replaced is also a huge red flag to any "better" replacement that DiStefano could approach.
You're right. This really scares the crap out of me. There's a ton of things we need to change in the culture at CU. I do still place stock into the thinking that CU is a top destination. Maybe it's just because I'm a brainwashed fan. I feel we can land a elite AD. it will take more than 300,000 a year to get though.

Is it risky to make a move for a better AD? Sure. I do believe that we have to take these risks to reach the next level. JMHO.

Last edited:
Valdez, what exactly would another AD do that Mike Bohn has not done?
The fundraising efforts have been average. I think the most important qualification for a new AD should come in this area. I know Lew Perkins got himself into quiet the mess in Lawrence, but you still have to give the guy a ton of credit for the job he did there. He capitalized off of the momentum by raising 150M for new facilities for KU.
Seizing the momentum, Perkins raised about $150 million and oversaw construction of new football and basketball facilities, renovated venerable Allen Fieldhouse and gave Bill Self a 10-year, $30 million contract that made him one of the college game's highest-paid basketball coaches.
The primitive football facilities were given a $32 million upgrade that included new coaches' offices, practice fields and weight rooms.
"Lew's done an awful lot for a lot of people around here," said Self. "He was able to capitalize on a very hot time that was here. If he had waited to do that, we would have no chance to do that right now. He's given us a chance to basically recruit selling the same things that other schools are selling that five years from now we wouldn't have."

You could argue that he is at a name school who has no problem raising those kind of funds, but I don't think that's true. Have you seen the football facilities in Lawrence before? They were a joke. Kind of like the football facilities here in Boulder. We could barely pay off the practice bubble. :lol:

And no, I'm not saying we should hire Lew Perkins. :lol:

Hopefully MB can strike while the iron is still hot with this conference change. I keep on hearing about how it should be a little easier with all the alums in the PAC12 footprint. I want to see some results. The Basketball facility should just be the start. I'm not expecting Oregon type facilities here, but we can all agree that we need something done.

Last edited:
Here's the attendance numbers from the last few games....ouch.

Mile High Staduim Capacity: 76,273
Attendance for games there:
1998 - 76,036*
1999 - 73,438*
2000 - 67,466

Invesco Capacity: 76,125
Attendance for games there:
2001: 75,022
2002: 75,531
2003: 76,219*
2006: 65,701
2007: 68,133
2008: 69,619*
2010: 60,989

* = night games according to the CU website which I think are games that start after 5:00 local

Considering the quality of the product on the field, those are excellent numbers, and a tribute to CU and CSU for support.

I would argue its much easier for Perkins to raise that kind of cash at KU than at CU because just like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Arkansas...- there is nothing else to do in the state to compete with their dollar. Much like the Huskers do for football, KU fans and alums live and die by the Bball team. They are also living in a state not dealing with a huge housing crash so there is more money in everybody's pocket. I'd like to see ANYBODY try to raise $150 million dollars in the CU athletic deptwith the Colorado economy, a President and Chancellor who don't really care about sports and an area that provides every recreational activity there is plus a major city 30 miles from campus that offers every major professional sport and is made up of largely transient population.

Valdez, what exactly would another AD do that Mike Bohn has not done?

If I may... 2 1/2 Men, Charlie's in the garage with his cigar and beer cuz Mia doesn't like it. Berta pulls up with groceries and hands Charlie a sack to carry "because obviously yours is empty." How's that for an analogy?

I would argue its much easier for Perkins to raise that kind of cash at KU than at CU because just like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Arkansas...- there is nothing else to do in the state to compete with their dollar. Much like the Huskers do for football, KU fans and alums live and die by the Bball team. They are also living in a state not dealing with a huge housing crash so there is more money in everybody's pocket. I'd like to see ANYBODY try to raise $150 million dollars in the CU athletic deptwith the Colorado economy, a President and Chancellor who don't really care about sports and an area that provides every recreational activity there is plus a major city 30 miles from campus that offers every major professional sport and is made up of largely transient population.

This seems to be the excuse I've heard the most. I don't really agree with it. We had 7k fans at the Cal game right? I know there is a big alum base in Arizona for the ASU games. Just because most of our alums leave the state after graduation doesn't mean they simply forget about their school. KU has had the worst facilities when it came to football, so it's not like they've been swimming in cash because of the BB program.

Maybe 150M is a bit out of our reach, but I'm just asking for basic things right now. Like a permanent indoor facilily. That probably runs about what? 20M? Is that too high of a sum to ask for?

CU couldn't raise any money when it won the national championship 20+ years ago, and couldn't raise any money when it won the conference 10 years ago. CU athletics, historically, has not been a donation-rich department.

Here is a school that had to hire a no-name NFL assistant coach, with no coordinator experience whatsoever to be its head football coach -- and someone thinks a big name elite athletic director to come to CU??

CU was a fantastic job once upon a time. It is not any longer.

CU couldn't raise any money when it won the national championship 20+ years ago, and couldn't raise any money when it won the conference 10 years ago. CU athletics, historically, has not been a donation-rich department.

Here is a school that had to hire a no-name NFL assistant coach, with no coordinator experience whatsoever to be its head football coach -- and someone thinks a big name elite athletic director to come to CU??

I believe this attitude is probably why we have become a losing program. Just because we didn't capitalize off of the '90 NC, doesn't mean we are doomed to be a second rate program for all of eternity. The pessimism that clouds this program has really taken on a life of it's own.

I'm a certain someone who believes that this school can turn things around. Am I trying to live in the land of make believe thinking we can become the next UT, or ND. That doesn't mean that we should just sit around and accept mediocrity. It's not a bad thing to raise expectations in Boulder.

Last edited:

+1!! It sucks to have to admit it but its the truth. Why else do we only have 500 Buff club members in CA with over 30 thousand alumni living there? CU alums like to go see 'Old CU' play football when they can but that's about where the money stops. In comparison look at what a small school lik TCU can do raising $105 million dollars for a stadium renovation all paid for by donors (34). Unfortunately our big donors at CU are not big football fans and we don't have enough small to mid level boosters to offset that missed oppportunity. CU COULD be one of the best jobs in college football but the reality is its not because we don't have the support from the school or the fan base to make it possible. We'll have to settle for whatever we can build with the new media deal after we pay off all of our debt. According to the capital expenditures plan, the new indoor fieldhouse the propose will cost $85 million so I don't see us getting that anytime soo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5468732

You are right, the reason Perkins could raise that kind of money is because of the basketball program. But there is alot of competition now with the Chiefs winning, and Snyder back at KJSU. Kansas City is only 20 miles from Lawrence. Problem with CU is that the locals don't give a $__t. The Broncos own the state, and a high percentage of alumni live out of state. When I went to CU back in the late 70's all my friends where from the East or West coast, and the very few fom Colorado only cared about the Broncos. The Broncos in my opinion have always been a major thorn for CU.

You are right, the reason Perkins could raise that kind of money is because of the basketball program. But there is alot of competition now with the Chiefs winning, and Snyder back at KJSU. Kansas City is only 20 miles from Lawrence. Problem with CU is that the locals don't give a $__t. The Broncos own the state, and a high percentage of alumni live out of state. When I went to CU back in the late 70's all my friends where from the East or West coast, and the very few fom Colorado only cared about the Broncos. The Broncos in my opinion have always been a major thorn for CU.

I understand this, but why can't we generate any support from our out of state alums? I keep on hearing that the biggest perk on switching to the Pac is because of the huge amount of alums in Cali and the Southwest in general. I keep hearing on how California is untapped when it comes to fundraising. I don't see why it matters what state they live in now. Bohn can't get support from these folks?

Yes the expectations are quite different in 2011 compared to 1990.

The question is how CU stacks up against the Pac-12 conference instead of the Big 12 conference? So many unknowns this year.

I understand this, but why can't we generate any support from our out of state alums? I keep on hearing that the biggest perk on switching to the Pac is because of the huge amount of alums in Cali and the Southwest in general. I keep hearing on how California is untapped when it comes to fundraising. I don't see why it matters what state they live in now. Bohn can't get support from these folks?

We should be hearing an announcement soon that you'll like a lot. :wink2:

So Valdez - the fact that Bohn has done a better job of fundraising than any previous athletic director in the history of the University of Colorado isn't worthy of an extension, in your opinion? It's not enough that he raised, in just over 2 years, adequate funds to pay for the basketball practice facility to the tune of $11MM +/-? Furthermore, the fact that - as Col Slade pointed out - we've never been particularly good at raising funds has nothing to do with our ability to raise funds now? That somebody can just come in and flip a switch and the money will start rolling in? I'm afraid you are uninformed of what kind of effort goes into fundraising. It's a very long process. It takes years and years of cultivation. We were way, WAY behind when Bohn got here, and we're just now catching up to where we need to be. Of all the things to criticize Bohn on, fundraising shouldn't be anywhere on the list.

So Valdez - the fact that Bohn has done a better job of fundraising than any previous athletic director in the history of the University of Colorado isn't worthy of an extension, in your opinion? It's not enough that he raised, in just over 2 years, adequate funds to pay for the basketball practice facility to the tune of $11MM +/-? Furthermore, the fact that - as Col Slade pointed out - we've never been particularly good at raising funds has nothing to do with our ability to raise funds now? That somebody can just come in and flip a switch and the money will start rolling in? I'm afraid you are uninformed of what kind of effort goes into fundraising. It's a very long process. It takes years and years of cultivation. We were way, WAY behind when Bohn got here, and we're just now catching up to where we need to be. Of all the things to criticize Bohn on, fundraising shouldn't be anywhere on the list.

Iowa State has a permanent indoor practice facility. IOWA STATE. Your right though. Bohn is just catching up. In another ten years, we should be able to match the mighty Cyclones in the arms race. :lol:

Regents approve training facility for Iowa State football

AMES – The Board of Regents approved a proposal from the Iowa State University athletics department Wednesday to build a 60,000 square foot, two-story complex to house the Cyclone football team and its operational functions.

Construction on the $20.6 million structure, located adjacent to the Bergstrom Indoor Practice Facility, will begin in the summer of 2011 with completion by fall of 2012.

“We appreciate the support of Board of Regents to move forward with this project. It is extremely important to the long-term success of our athletics department,” Iowa State A.D. Jamie Pollard said. “We have outgrown current space and consolidating operations of the program in one place is important for the success of our football team and its student-athletes.”

The football team and its support units are currently in the Jacobson Athletic and Olsen Buildings.

http://www.globegazette.com/sports/article_eed0aa04-921d-11e0-a2a9-001cc4c03286.html

Last edited:
Iowa State has a permanent indoor practice facility. IOWA STATE.

So what? I'm not sure what Iowa State has to do with CU. Are you saying that Iowa State's athletic director is better than Mike Bohn? Is that really what you're saying?

So what? I'm not sure what Iowa State has to do with CU. Are you saying that Iowa State's athletic director is better than Mike Bohn? Is that really what you're saying?

his point is that fundraising occurs at many universities that we snobbish CU fans would consider less than ours. It's not so much that their AD is better than Bohn, but there are many fundraising efforts out there that surpass CU's. This is not to say that's Bohn's fault, but CU's current fundraising is nothing to really boast about. I understand that it's a process, but still...the current state isn't great.

I'm willing to applaud Bohn's fundraising efforts though - he has done a good job, because what was left after Tharp was pretty bad (sidenote - hate Tharp...terrible AD). However, fundraisining isn't his only function. He started with two horrible hires - KMac and D2. Sure, D2 was a hot name at the time, but so what?? He still was an utter failure, and Bohn extended him WAY too early. The decline of the football program rests on his shoulders. Your prior Starbucks analogy is misguided. Yes, a regional manager should be under the gun if one the stores in his area does something like D2 did to CU football. If as a manager one my supervisors screwed up, I'd expect heat too from my bosses. Bohn should share a lot of blame for D2, because it was his hire. He also handled GB's fire disrespectfully to GB in my opinion. KMac was an atrocious hire. Bz, Boyle, and Lappe were convenient hires from around the area. Jury is out on volleyball. His hiring so far is not good - not worthy of an extension at all. The people you hire say a lot about your acumen in my opinion...

An extension NOW?! No way...Bohn has a lot to prove. A few years ago, I wanted him gone. I don't credit him a whole lot for the Pac 12 either - we've been tossing around the Pac 10 for a long time, and it just so happened TV rights were getting negotiated during Bohn's tenure.

his point is that fundraising occurs at many universities that we snobbish CU fans would consider less than ours. It's not so much that their AD is better than Bohn, but there are many fundraising efforts out there that surpass CU's. This is not to say that's Bohn's fault, but CU's current fundraising is nothing to really boast about. I understand that it's a process, but still...the current state isn't great.

Are you aware that CU is currently $900MM into a $1.5B capital fundraising campaign? That's NINE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS that they've raised. That's not for the AD, it's for the school.

I'm continually amazed when I hear people bemoan the fundraising efforts at CU. It's like you're not even paying attention.

Are you aware that CU is currently $900MM into a $1.5B capital fundraising campaign? That's NINE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS that they've raised. That's not for the AD, it's for the school.

I'm continually amazed when I hear people bemoan the fundraising efforts at CU. It's like you're not even paying attention.

Now, if you are talking about Athletic fundraising...

Back