What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn has a favorite in mind and it´s current College HC

Doeren inherited the program already humming.
DeRuyter has 1 year with a lot of underclass guys he did not recruit.

Show me a guy who can claim a turnaround of his own doing without risks that he is not who we though (hawk like)

Show me a guy who can claim a turnaround of his own doing without risks that he is not who we though (hawk like)

Gary Andersen Utah State

I don't get the hate for Calhoun. The guy was a NFL OC, and is currently a head coach at a rigorous academic D1 school. You know this about him:

1) His players will continue to get it done in the classroom
2) He'll run a tight ship, and organized practices
3) The team will be disciplined and focused
4) He has enough contacts in the coaching world to bring in good assistants and recruiters.

My question is why would Calhoun want CU? The guy probably has a lifetime contract at his alma mater, and their fans don't expect 10 win seasons every year. I think that would be a tough situation to walk away from.

Disagree with your bolded assumption.

The guy inherits a group of Cadets that are likely predisposed to discipline, and if they're not, it's imposed on them 24 hours a day by the institution. He will not operate in that environment at CU, so who knows if his team will be disciplined and focused. It's an entirely different environment than CU.

For the record, I have no problems with Calhoun. I've knew him (superficially) when he was in high school.

Okay, turn the clock back a bit folks. 7 years ago Bohn also said that he "had someone in mind." At that time, we were all thrilled and impressed when he brought in Hawkins. It didn't turn out very well at all, but he did go after one of the biggest up and coming names in the game with that hire. I think we all know that he didn't have much input on the last coaching "search" and hire. It sounds to me like he's going back to the same playbook he used first time around, and if he comes up with an up and coming coach that's in the same position Hawkins was in 2005, I think we'll all be pretty happy (just as long as he brings along the correct assistants :) ).

The guy inherits a group of Cadets that are likely predisposed to discipline, and if they're not, it's imposed on them 24 hours a day by the institution. He will not operate in that environment at CU, so who knows if his team will be disciplined and focused. It's an entirely different environment than CU.

For the record, I have no problems with Calhoun. I've knew him (superficially) when he was in high school.

You superficial bastard

Silly thinking in some respects. Urban Meyer would have never been hired by Utah or Florida with your thinking. There are exceptions. Deruyters resume speaks of a defensive wizard, often good enough to jump schools into the top 25 units in the nation.

You guys went to high school together?

I hope that is not the case. We need a process - not the Mike Bohn myopic approach.

Mike's "myopic approach" worked pretty well for both BB coachs, the VB coach and the golf coachs. He went with the obvious on Hawk and his hand was strongly forced on Embree; I think he wanted Calhoun or DeRuyter even then. Now, he collecting on some major "I told you sos!"

This is such a great post. Well said.

I'm not in favor of Calhoun either, guys. We need someone who gives instant juice on the recruiting trail. Otherwise, you can't overcome 1-11 with one of the worst statistical performances in college football history. Calhoun's not that guy.

Good coach, though. A place like Cal could hire him and win 8 or 9 games next season with the talent that Tedford has stocked.

I'm not in favor of Calhoun either, guys. We need someone who gives instant juice on the recruiting trail. Otherwise, you can't overcome 1-11 with one of the worst statistical performances in college football history. Calhoun's not that guy.

Good coach, though. A place like Cal could hire him and win 8 or 9 games next season with the talent that Tedford has stocked.

Agreed. We need a splash hire...one that will bring instant credibility in the college football world. Outside of Colorado, I doubt that many are familiar with Calhoun, despite how qualified he may be.....

Some people are bouncing around a rumor that CU and Mark Mangino have been in contact. If that is true I may have to go detonate Dal Ward.

Here's what Bohn needs to do:
Bohn: "Hey, Brian"
Kelly: "no"
B: "Hey Nick:
NS: "No"
B: "Hey Mark"
MR:"Mmmmm, well, No."
B: "Hey Les"
LM: "Dang, sounds good. How's the grass (bluegrass type) up there? Almost came a couple years back (according to bcs) mmmmm, No.

Point is, Bohnhead has to go show we're ****ing serious this time. He's made one big boy decision - time to make another. Don't ****ing skimp out this time, Mike, and SURE AS HELL don't go to Colorado Springs.

****, I'd rather him go get Wristen than go for Calhoun.

Calhoun? Please stop with cheap hires. WAKE UP AND LEARN FROM PAST MISTAKES.

CU needs a HC who will make a splash with recruits, not another I-25 hire.

Anyone but calhoun or tedford.

Some people are bouncing around a rumor that CU and Mark Mangino have been in contact. If that is true I may have to go detonate Dal Ward.

There's really no chance of that. Mangino got fired from KU despite taking that program to an Orange Bowl because he was abusing players. CU won't touch that. Much worse than a guy like Petrino whose big indiscretion was trying to cover up an affair with someone at the office - and I don't know that CU would hire him.

Calhoun? Please stop with cheap hires. WAKE UP AND LEARN FROM PAST MISTAKES.

CU needs a HC who will make a splash with recruits, not another I-25 hire.

Anyone but calhoun or tedford.

I would argue this line of reasoning hasn't learned from past mistakes. We should be less concerned with a short-term recruiting bump and instead focused on bringing in a guy who can win games over the long haul. Part of Embree/Bieniemy's selling point was their ability to recruit. All the recruiting in the world can't compensate for losing.

There's really no chance of that. Mangino got fired from KU despite taking that program to an Orange Bowl because he was abusing players. CU won't touch that. Much worse than a guy like Petrino whose big indiscretion was trying to cover up an affair with someone at the office - and I don't know that CU would hire him.

I think Petrino's combination of leaving Atlanta in the middle of the night like a scumbag and lying to his employer at Arkansas are more egregious than what Mangino was accused of doing. But I personally wouldn't want anything to do with either, so it's a moot point.

You guys went to high school together?

No, we both attended Thurman Bell's football camp (mostly he was assisting the quarterbacks, of which I was not). I was a freshman and he was a senior. I might be a touch older than 35, but let's keep that a secret.

I would argue this line of reasoning hasn't learned from past mistakes. We should be less concerned with a short-term recruiting bump and instead focused on bringing in a guy who can win games over the long haul. Part of Embree/Bieniemy's selling point was their ability to recruit. All the recruiting in the world can't compensate for losing.

Cu's not going to win over the long hul with the type of recruits they are bringing in. Hiring a guy like calhoun would be the 3rd straight " we are not serious about winning football" hire.

Chris20Benoit_display_image.jpg

You know he killed his wife and son before offing himself, right?

Cu's not going to win over the long hul with the type of recruits they are bringing in. Hiring a guy like calhoun would be the 3rd straight " we are not serious about winning football" hire.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Calhoun (in fact I'm not), I just think we are putting the cart before the horse by stipulating that we need to make a splash in recruiting with our hire. Tad Boyle wasn't a sexy hire in any recruiting circles (granted the programs are in different positions) - but my point is that we need a real gameday coach who hopefully has a deep understanding of Xs and Os. Until we can start to put a substantive product on the field, any coach is going to have a hard time recruiting with smoke and mirrors.

No, it would be the 2nd straight. Hawkins was a very good hire - turned out to not be a good coach, but at the time, it was a great hire, and was praised nationally.

It would be like 1000 Christmas Days rolled into one. I don't think I would be able to contain my happiness if that miracle actually happened.

Is LSU even tired of him this year? I know the public opinion down there swings back and forth about the mad hatter. It would be a significant pay decrease for miles.

Back