What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn: we're not about to give up on Dan Hawkins

I really think experience is going to play a huge roll in year 5. I think there is a big difference between a line that has 3 people starting for the first time a and 4th person coming off a lost season due to a broken leg, and an OL that know has 4 people who have played together for 1 full season.

I think there is a big difference in having a WR corp made up of 2 walk-ons, several talented freshman, and 1 Juco who joined the team late and having a WR corp that has some talented Sophmores and a talented JUCO who has spent an entire time in a system.

You are assuming that everything goes smoothly of course. The coaches seem to have trouble settling on one lineup. Behrens started a ton of games last season and then is replaced by Adkins going into this season. How is it a given the same thing will not happen next year?

Also, you're making a pretty big assumption that Hawk is going to play redshirt freshmen and others over the two walk-on seniors next year. Does that seem realistic?

I really think this team will grow up this year before our eyes and is going to be ready to do some really good things next year.

This team is not that different from last year. The last 4 years of recruiting has been about getting back the spacings and depth between classes. that is why I think it is important for TH to redshirt this year. We are going to need this guy next year. My understanding is that he made some big strides between last year and this year. I am fully expecting him to take the next step and beat out Cody for the starting QB position.

How many teams have you seen at CU that have been this young at SO many positions? I can't really think of any. How many WR do you recall who came into CU and made an impact their Freshman year? Our best OL have always had a surplus of upperclassman starting.
And again, this is part of the problem people have with Hawkins. How the hell are we so young at so many places in year four? I understand in certain areas, but look at the roster and you wonder what the **** is going on. OL, DL, WR, and S. That is a LOT of places to be young. I keep hearing how we have been young for the past few years, well where the **** are all these young guys that have supposedly been playing a lot going? It is like we're back to square one every single September.

As far as Hansen beating out Cody, I think that is a pipe dream at this point. We got fed a bunch of BS about the race was "close" all offseason and that was not the case. What is going to change by Hansen sitting on the bench redshirting (i.e, not playing at all) while Cody starts for another season? The big knock on Hansen is his inexperience, and this move to redshirt does not really change that.

This guy has run the program down. That being said, I think the talent he has brought in can win. They don't believe in him and have basically rolled over the first two weeks. Shame has decended on the proud history and tradition of the Buffaloes. The pride and tradition of the Colorado Buffaloes has been entrusted to a weak, timid and defeated culture (every player will know what I am inferring). We have the young men to change this but we must have the fortitude to make the change. Brian Cabral, Greg Brown and Darian Hagen should stay. I would promote Coach Cabral to Interim Head Coach, let Dan Hawkins go and reshuffle in November.

This guy has run the program down. That being said, I think the talent he has brought in can win. They don't believe in him and have basically rolled over the first two weeks. Shame has decended on the proud history and tradition of the Buffaloes. The pride and tradition of the Colorado Buffaloes has been entrusted to a weak, timid and defeated culture (every player will know what I am inferring). We have the young men to change this but we must have the fortitude to make the change. Brian Cabral, Greg Brown and Darian Hagen should stay. I would promote Coach Cabral to Interim Head Coach, let Dan Hawkins go and reshuffle in November.

I'm not so sure about Brown staying after the last two games from our secondary.

Allow me some nostalgia. The guy did coach two Thorpe winners in my time there. He's a Buff at least. We need some heat on the qb and Brown's guys will look a lot better. What's Coach Hank doing these days? Would love to see some Mac guys back in charge.

I really think experience is going to play a huge roll in year 5. I think there is a big difference between a line that has 3 people starting for the first time and a 4th person coming off a lost season due to a broken leg and an OL that will have 4 people who have played together for 1 full season.

I think there is a big difference in having a WR corp made up of 2 walk-ons, several talented freshman, and 1 Juco who joined with the team late and having a WR corp that has some talented Sophmores and a talented JUCO who has spent an entire time in a system.

I really think this team will grow up this year before our eyes and is going to be ready to do some really good things next year.

This team is not that different from last year. The last 4 years of recruiting has been about getting back the spacings and depth between classes. that is why I think it is important for TH to redshirt this year. We are going to need this guy next year. My understanding is that he made some big strides between last year and this year. I am fully expecting him to take the next step and beat out Cody for the starting QB position.

How many teams have you seen at CU that have been this young at SO many positions? I can't really think of any. How many WR do you recall who came into CU and made an impact their Freshman year? Our best OL have always had a surplus of upperclassman starting.

I am not claiming I have some crystal ball and that this is how things will play out. It is just my personal take on the where we are right now. If we want to call them excuses fine. But I never bought into the 10 win hype for this year. I saw this team finishing somewhere around 7-6 this year with a lower tier bowl.

I will fully admit I did not expect a loss to Toledo, but this game scared me the second we took it. CSU scares me every year anymore. We can talk all we want about them not deserving to be in this game, but the last 10 years this series has been very very good between the schools. What funny is that way we talk about CSU reminds me so much of the kNU fans talk about us. They fail to admit that the last 20 years has produced some great football between our two school. The same goes for the series with CSU.

I also think you have to take Hawkins overall record into account. Not just at CU but also in his previous two coaching stints. Look football is football. I don't care what division you play in. The only difference between Big12 football and WAC football is the overall talent pool top to bottom. But you don't leave coach 2 different programs in 10 years and put together a cumulative record of 92-23-1 without know a little bit about what you are doing. It' s not like Hawkins only had a few good years prior to coming to CU. The guy has been a solid winner every where is was. I don't think you just stop forgetting how to win. If Hawkins had stepped into the CU job with a more suspect resume, I would be a lot less likely to be this patient.

Here is my problem chilly: We are always one or two players away. It is always about next year. Why should we continue to accept mediocrity in year 4 when multiple programs have turned around faster under new coaches. North Carolina is a ranked program. Nebraska was a mess 2 years ago. Arizona State could never get over the hump with Koetter, but in year 1 under Erickson, ASU won 10 games. Hell, even Northwestern is fielding a competitive team. Purdue, under a first year head coach, beat that same Toledo team by 20+ points.

At what point do you decide it is time to fire the Paul Hacketts, Karl Dorrells or the Dirk Koetters? In this day and age when programs are doing complete 180 degree turns in 1 to 2 years, why should we sit here and continue to accept a 13-26 record, no winning seasons, multiple embarrassments etc.? We have won 2 road games since September 2006. We have lost to Montana State, Iowa St (In a year they won 2 games) and now Toledo. We were embarrased by 50+ points and shut out by Missouri last year. It has been one embarrassment after another under Hawkins. Now I had to sit at home and listen to Bob Davie talk about how Toledo looks like the BCS team and how our secondary looks slow compared to Aaron Opelt.

And under Hawkins, we continue to expect our Offensive Coordinator to simplify the playbook, get the best athletes on the field and win games! And it just doesn't happen. It has been one excuse after another. So, why is it suddenly all going to change in the year that we have quite possibly our toughest schedule this decade?

I'm sorry, but something is just not matching up between Dan Hawkins and Colorado. And if 13-26 or 2-9 in the last 11 games doesn't open your eyes to that fact, then you won't realize it until the day he is fired.

This is not why GB was fired. It was a great out for CU, but it is not the reason he was let go.

What your alluding to, that Gary Barnett was fired for, has probably come to be anyways. Unless you think there was politics behind his termination. But if it was for performance, or future performance, as the cause of termination then our worst fears appear to have been realized anyways.

My point was that, like it or not, we were a better team under Barnett who was let go for a higher standard then where we find ourselves at today.

What your alluding to, that Gary Barnett was fired for, has probably come to be anyways. Unless you think there was politics behind his termination. But if it was for performance, or future performance, as the cause of termination then our worst fears appear to have been realized anyways.

My point was that, like it or not, we were a better team under Barnett who was let go for a higher standard then where we find ourselves at today.

Barnett was fired because of the off the field issues. His firing had NOTHING to do with is performance at CU. the fact that we got our asses handed to us in Houston that year, just made it easier for CU to make the call. He was let go for all the other crap that was happening at the time. We all know it was a witch hunt and 90% of the crap that was being said was half truths at best. But it doesn't matter the witch hunters won and he was let go for it.

If the witch hunt never happened he would still be here today, if even he did lose that horrid game 70-3.

Barnett was fired because of the off the field issues. His firing had NOTHING to do with is performance at CU. the fact that we got our asses handed to us in Houston that year, just made it easier for CU to make the call. He was let go for all the other crap that was happening at the time. We all know it was a witch hunt and 90% of the crap that was being said was half truths at best. But it doesn't matter the witch hunters won and he was let go for it.

If the witch hunt never happened he would still be here today, if even he did lose that horrid game 70-3.
You are nuts. He was fired because of his last 2 games. Had he won those games (or, at least avoided complete embarrassment), he would have survived.

Here is an interesting quote I found from McCartney in a recent article.

Said Bill McCartney, the winningest coach in school history who led the Buffs to the 1990 national title: "I genuinely feel this guy knows what he's doing and is going to get it done. He's making progress. I think he's building something formidable.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13231988?source=bb

I am quoting this in an attempt to say "see I am right because McCartney thinks the same". My point is that I am not as far of the deep end as you guys make me out to be. There is clearly a difference of opinion and I think this article points out both the good and bad of Hawkins time here.

You are nuts. He was fired because of his last 2 games. Had he won those games (or, at least avoided complete embarrassment), he would have survived.

I don't believe it for 1 second. Barnett was gone regardless of those 2 games. Those last 2 games gave the university the excuse it needed and made the it much easier to make the call. But Barnett was not going to be returning to CU the next year, one way or another.

I don't believe it for 1 second. Barnett was gone regardless of those 2 games. Those last 2 games gave the university the excuse it needed and made the it much easier to make the call. But Barnett was not going to be returning to CU the next year, one way or another.
Sure...he wins the NU game and the Big 12 title game, but he gets fired regardless? Pure comedy....

Didn't he get fired like a year after Tharp and about a year after the scandal broke?

Yes he did, which is more to my point. When a new regimen comes in with the mandate to clean up the athletic department, do you really think they were going to let one of the central figures of that scandal stay around? Bohn was not going to keep Barnett on as coach.

Bohn took the job at the end of April. He didn't have a choice but to go into the next season with Barnett. He doesn't have enough time before the start of the football season to change the coaching staff going into that year.

You guys should no better than this. Common, everyone that played any kind of role in the scandal got **** canned. It was only a matter of time for it to happen to GB. As soon as Tharp was let go, I knew Barnett's day were numbered.

Last edited:
Yes he did, which is more to my point. When a new regimen comes in with the mandate to clean up the athletic department, do you really think they were going to let one of the central figures of that scandal stay around? Bohn was not going to keep Barnett on as coach.
Hilarious.:lol::lol:

Here is an interesting quote I found from McCartney in a recent article.

Said Bill McCartney, the winningest coach in school history who led the Buffs to the 1990 national title: "I genuinely feel this guy knows what he's doing and is going to get it done. He's making progress. I think he's building something formidable.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13231988?source=bb

I am quoting this in an attempt to say "see I am right because McCartney thinks the same". My point is that I am not as far of the deep end as you guys make me out to be. There is clearly a difference of opinion and I think this article points out both the good and bad of Hawkins time here.

That was an article from August 30th. A lot of people believed that, in no small part because of all of the talking Hawkins did in the off-season. However, this was before CU got embarrassed by CSU and Toledo.

That was an article from August 30th. A lot of people believed that, in no small part because of all of the talking Hawkins did in the off-season. However, this was before CU got embarrassed by CSU and Toledo.

Mac has not coached in 15 years. He's not at practice every day or breaking down film either. Im not saying he lost his touch but obviously one good practice and glass of Kool Aid and your in deep doo doo.

Hilarious.:lol::lol:

It actually just as funny to me that you can't see this for what it was. How many times have you seen someone take over a new job and not bring in his own people. Barnett was not Bohn's guy. Barnett was someone Bohn inherited. Bohn has no previous ties to CU like the past several AD's. He had no ties to Barnett. Barnett was a polarizing figure that to many was the embodiment of the scandal. Do you really thing a new AD was going to keep him around to rebuild the reputation of the AD on?

If you then I have some serious doubts about your ability to tell when the writing is on the wall.

But hey on the flip side , the 1 word replies with smiley faces make for great entertainment. :smile:

Last edited:
Mac has not coached in 15 years. He's not at practice every day or breaking down film either. Im not saying he lost his touch but obviously one good practice and glass of Kool Aid and your in deep doo doo.

And just exactly how many of us that are saying he can't get the job done are at practice every day or breaking down film? What exactly is it that makes your take on this any stronger than McCartney's or anyone else's for that matter.

If the requirement is breaking down film and attending practice, then every last one of us, including me, just need to STFU because we don't have the necessary credentials to make an informed decision.

It actually just as funny to me that you can't see this for what it was. How many times have you seen someone take over a new job and not bring in his own people. Barnett was not Bohn's guy. Barnett was someone Bohn inherited. Bohn has no previous ties to CU like the past several AD's. He had no ties to Barnett. Barnett was a polarizing figure that to many was the embodiment of the scandal. Do you really thing a new AD was going to keep him around to rebuild the reputation of the AD on?

If you then I have some serious doubts about your ability to tell when the writing is on the wall.

But hey on the flip side , the 1 word replies with smiley faces make for great entertainment. :smile:
Read my other comment....if you really believe that GB's last 2 games were irrelevant in the decision to can him, you are nuts. Bohn would have stuck with GB had he won the Big 12. You think the boosters would have allowed GB to be fired? You are hilarious, my friend. But for your benefit, I will refrain from the smiley faces this time.

And just exactly how many of us that are saying he can't get the job done are at practice every day or breaking down film? What exactly is it that makes your take on this any stronger than McCartney's or anyone else's for that matter.

If the requirement is breaking down film and attending practice, then every last one of us, including me, just need to STFU because we don't have the necessary credentials to make an informed decision.

He didn't say that it was a requirement for criticism, he said to illustrate the fact that McCartney has been away for the game.

And you're ignoring the larger issue: Which is that your article is from August 30th. Before the humiliating performances against CSU and Toledo.

A lot of people on these boards probably thought the same thing in August. However, after having witnessed those two performances, very few people still have those views.

You have some wild views... You actually think if Barnett beat NU and UT and won the Big12 championship game, which would have put us in a BCS game, that he would have still been fired? NO WAY that would have happened. Barnett wasn't getting it done on the field, and he wasn't getting it done in the media either. The media thing can be forgiven. Losing can only go on so long.

He didn't say that it was a requirement for criticism, he said to illustrate the fact that McCartney has been away for the game.

And you're ignoring the larger issue: Which is that your article is from August 30th. Before the humiliating performances against CSU and Toledo.

A lot of people on these boards probably thought the same thing in August. However, after having witnessed those two performances, very few people still have those views.

I am ignoring the fact that this Article is an entire 14 days old? An entire 14 days? Do you really think those who are mentioned in that article as supporting Hawkins, for many of the same reasons I have discussed, are really back tracking 14 days later?

We are all disappointed in to the start of this year. But 2 games don't make a football season. Some of us recognize this. I understand many fans live and die with each game, but you can't lose perspective. There is alot of football still to be played, and even though the season has not started off the way many wanted or expected it to, that includes me, not everyone is going to jump off a cliff over 2 games. I am pretty sure as an ex-football coach, McCartney understand this.

Now since I have no insight into what he is thinking, I am not going to pretend as if I know one way or the other. But until he publicly changes his opinion, I am more likely to believe that what he thought a mere 14 days ago is still valid.

You have some wild views... You actually think if Barnett beat NU and UT and won the Big12 championship game, which would have put us in a BCS game, that he would have still been fired? NO WAY that would have happened. Barnett wasn't getting it done on the field, and he wasn't getting it done in the media either. The media thing can be forgiven. Losing can only go on so long.

I tend to think BArnett thought he was going to get other offers from other schools and he was going to leave here with a big season. The Bohn/Barnett contract extension talks after the Missouri game (when he was 7-2) always seemed fishy to me. I contend they were talking buyout more than extension. Once Iowa State and Nebraska happened, Barnett was sinking with no place to go.

Barnett always was looking to take of Barnett before caring about CU. Anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.

I tend to think BArnett thought he was going to get other offers from other schools and he was going to leave here with a big season. The Bohn/Barnett contract extension talks after the Missouri game (when he was 7-2) always seemed fishy to me. I contend they were talking buyout more than extension. Once Iowa State and Nebraska happened, Barnett was sinking with no place to go.

Barnett always was looking to take of Barnett before caring about CU. Anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.
Who knows what GB would have done....but Boner would not have fired GB had we won the Big 12, despite Chilly's perspective.

Do you really think that a new AD, with no ties to Barnett, who was hired to come in a completely eradicate all traces of the scandal and turn around the image of the AD department, was going to keep one of the central figures in the scandal? Seriously you believe this? Barnett couldn't even get the parents of local kids let him get a foot in the door because of the image that came along with him? How in the world do you think an new AD is going to accomplish his mandate of cleaning up the image of the football program, by keeping Barnett around?

Who knows what GB would have done....but Boner would not have fired GB had we won the Big 12, despite Chilly's perspective.

maybe not fired, but a parting of ways? I could have seen it.

Barnett thought he was going to finish 9-3 probably and see if someone would be interested in them.

Do you really think that a new AD, with no ties to Barnett, who was hired to come in a completely eradicate all traces of the scandal and turn around the image of the AD department, was going to keep one of the central figures in the scandal? Seriously you believe this? Barnett couldn't even get the parents of local kids let him get a foot in the door because of the image that came along with him? How in the world do you think an new AD is going to accomplish his mandate of cleaning up the image of the football program, by keeping Barnett around?
At the end of the day, Bohn needs to win to keep his job.....so, one more time now...GB would not have been fired if he had won the Big 12 title that year.....perhaps he would have left, thinking he could get a better job, but that seems very unlikely to me.

Bottom line is, who gives a rat's ass? It is 2009, and we suck Daah's balls....

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, Bohn needs to win to keep his job.....so, one more time now...GB would not have been fired if he had won the Big 12 title that year.....

Sorry but you are completely wrong on this. At the time Bohn was hired, he did not need to win to keep his job. He needed to clean up the image of CU athletics and bring boosters back home. That was his number 1 job. Not winning football games.

Sorry but you are completely wrong on this. At the time Bohn was hired, he did not need to win to keep his job. He needed to clean up the image of CU athletics and bring boosters back home. That was his number 1 job. Not winning football games.
At lease we understand each other's perspective....

Back