What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn's 5 Year Extension

OK, anyone read the Bohn "questions from the fans" thing in the Post? I'm good with him as our AD, but the guy is a frigging robot! His answers lack any kind of personality. He said, basically, forget about baseball or any men's sport for a long while. If they add anything "it will be a women's sport. Good old ****ing Title IX. I ****ing hate it with a passion. It has done more to hurt men's athletics than any legislation ever.

OK, anyone read the Bohn "questions from the fans" thing in the Post? I'm good with him as our AD, but the guy is a frigging robot! His answers lack any kind of personality. He said, basically, forget about baseball or any men's sport for a long while. If they add anything "it will be a women's sport. Good old ****ing Title IX. I ****ing hate it with a passion. It has done more to hurt men's athletics than any legislation ever.

Forgive my ignorance, but are we in a women's sport deficit right now? My guess is LAX and Baseball/Softball would have no title IX issues, since they presumably carry the same scholarships and would use the same facilities.
Granted Baseball/Softball may be a ways out, but given a few years of Pac12 tv revenues and I don't think it is impossible. If it is something fans/students/alumni all repeatedly request it may not be that many years off - I would think the rest of the conference would help 'encourage' our involvement since 11 of the 12 member schools are active in Baseball.

Forgive my ignorance, but are we in a women's sport deficit right now? My guess is LAX and Baseball/Softball would have no title IX issues, since they presumably carry the same scholarships and would use the same facilities.
Granted Baseball/Softball may be a ways out, but given a few years of Pac12 tv revenues and I don't think it is impossible. If it is something fans/students/alumni all repeatedly request it may not be that many years off - I would think the rest of the conference would help 'encourage' our involvement since 11 of the 12 member schools are active in Baseball.

The issue with Title IX is that it didn't exempt football. That sport pays for most of the AD budget, but the 85 scholarships are all for men. To balance this, the NCAA has more scholarships per sport available for softball than baseball, women's basketball than men's basketball, women's soccer than men's soccer, etc., etc. They also have more female sports than male sports so that a school can bank almost 30 women's scholarships through a sport like women's rowing that no one will televise or want to watch live. It's a completely misguided attempt at forcing the gender equality square through a round hole. The economics of the situation make it so that the only way that it would make economic sense at most schools to be fully compliant would be if they had football, men's basketball and a bunch of women's sports that lost as little money as possible and got them to around 100 female scholarships. It's why all the schools have so many facility-lite women's sports such as soccer, lacrosse, basketball & volleyball (which use the MBB facility), distance running, etc.

Baseball and softball throw the equations out of whack.

I'm happy Bohn got the extension and due to what I believe is extraordinary effort, he has done a lot good that isn't visible to many people as it appears.

His extension is justified because:

1. Pac-12.
2. basketball/volleyball practice facility plus upgrades at the CEC.
3. practice bubble for the football team.

The practice bubble might not be impressive but it's better than not having a practice bubble and the nice thing is that if we get a permanet indoor practice facility, I believe that bubble could be moved elsewhere on campus for perhaps the soccer team in that case. But even Texas has a practice bubble themselves so that cannot be considered a bad thing.

The basketball/volleyball facility would be Bohn's biggest accomplishment if it wasn't overshadowed by the most pivotal one which is going into the Pac-12 this year. I expect the basketball/volleyball programs to benefit A LOT from this facility and it's time to raise the bar on those three programs that use the CEC. Not making a postseason tourney should no longer be acceptable at CU for those three programs.

As for football, I want to see some winning seasons. If football continues to struggle and after three seasons there is no winning season by then, I think it would be reasonable to demand a new athletic director.

Your expectations are too low. This program is better than just having winning seasons.

I was in the stands at Folsom Field in 1990...you do not need to talk to me about expectations. Winning national championships was and still is my highest expectation but I'm being realistic here.

Back