What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boulder named best Pac-12 town

background.jpg

It's an even better Pac-12/national college town with Champions Center and IPF!

Just one guy's opinion - cities over 1 million aren't college towns. They're cities with colleges in them.

Of course Austin is always going to be associated with UT, but it's way too big anymore to be a "college town".

YMMV

Couldn't hurt for you Twitter people to give this some visibility. How great would it be if our commits started tweeting this to all the guys they're trying to bring into the fold?

Boulder ahead of Seattle ? Are you ****ing with me? That's just nuts. Sorry.

As to Alfred's point above, you cannot compare Seattle as a college town to Boulder. Seattle is a city of millions of people first and a city associated with Boeing 100x over than being a college town.

I can understand Athens but for Madison and Austin, I'd almost argue the same. They are their state capitols first and foremost.

It rains in Seattle 200 days a year and Boulder is sunny 300 days a year. Unless you're a duck, and shouldn't those be found in Eugene anyway, calling Seattle a better college town than Boulder is ridiculous.

I understand the allure of Seattle. But to argue that it's "nuts" to compare Boulder with Seattle as a college town is just stupid.

I'm just sticking with the parameters of the Athlon poll, which included all of the PAC 12 cities/towns. Jesus, you all are some touchy folks. If Seattle had 100,000 people, I'd rather live there than Boulder. In addition, I'd rather live in the current (large) Seattle, or any other Puget Sound town, than Boulder. If it's any consolation, Boulder would be my #2 on the list, but I'd have to go to Denver pretty often for a reality check. As Ken/Orr said recently, he and his friend are having difficulty with Boulder's "authenticity". Perfectly said. It's always been that way up there. You really have to come from the Denver burbs or other less interesting places to find Boulder cool.

I'm just sticking with the parameters of the Athlon poll, which included all of the PAC 12 cities/towns. Jesus, you all are some touchy folks. If Seattle had 100,000 people, I'd rather live there than Boulder. In addition, I'd rather live in the current (large) Seattle, or any other Puget Sound town, than Boulder. If it's any consolation, Boulder would be my #2 on the list, but I'd have to go to Denver pretty often for a reality check. As Ken/Orr said recently, he and his friend are having difficulty with Boulder's "authenticity". Perfectly said. It's always been that way up there. You really have to come from the Denver burbs or other less interesting places to find Boulder cool.
We're talking "college town." Not "The Best Place to Live for Old Professional Family Guys."

Wait... you'd rather live in Olympia that Boulder? I think we know who's nuts.

I am pretty comfortable accepting the idea that "college town" is itself sort of an atomic descriptor for "place with [major] university". I do not necessarily believe that this constitutes a misuse of the word town.

Plus, for a schools like UCLA and USC, they aren't really using the entire city of Los Angeles. For UCLA, it's more like Westwood/Brentwood. For USC, it's ... Well... I guess it's downtown LA. Or Compton.

Wish there were more details about the restaurants and bars that are actually within walking distance of campus.

The Dark Horse, The Sink, and all the dining and drinking establishments on or near Pearl Street are as integral to Boulder's college town vibe as the CU campus and proximity to the Flatirons and Denver.

Tucson's Sun Link that runs between the U of A campus and a ton of bars and restaurants along University Ave and 4th Ave makes this a great game day drinking town. There also is a legit on-campus tailgate scene that is pedestrian friendly.

Berkeley has Durant and Shattuck Avenues with no shortage of bars and restaurants. My knock on Berkeley is that the cops and campus conspire to keep the alcoholic beverages off the streets. The parking is bad. So tailgating mostly involves entering and exiting places with entry fees and getting booze isn't BYO, but involves hailing a bartender. The Bart station is a big plus for getting in and out of the airport or diving into SF.

The Sun Devil stadium in Tempe is akward because it's wedged into a mountain and under the PDX flight path. It's walkable to Mill Ave and the ASU campus. But time spent in Tempe is wasted not hanging out in the more comfortable Scottsdale neighborhood.

Corvallis is disappointing because it's not designed well around gameday. Not enough hotels to accommodate a proper college visit. The highlight is Portland or the Oregon coast, not the bar hopping on Monroe Ave.

Wazzou has a vibrant on campus tail gate scene. But the town of Pullman seriously lacks amenities, which makes a trip to the Palouse an adventure that starts and finishes in Spokane. And Spokane sucks.

While I've been to LA and Seattle a number of times, it's never been specifically to partake in the College Town aspect. The Rose Bowl isn't anywhere near UCLA, so I think the best way to sort out the Bruins might be to visit when the basketball team is playing at Pauley Pavillion.

USC has that built in warning not to park in Compton, so I'm not sure yet how to approach a football weekend to watch the Buffs play the Trojans. It seems like booking a nice room at some resort in Manhattan Beach and relying on Uber is the way to go.

As for Seattle, it would kick ass to sail gate or taxi up to the peer in a sea plane a few hours before kickoff. I haven't figured out a Udub strategy and am open to any advice on where to stay and how to enjoy the UDub campus area of Seattle instead of the more familiar waterfront by downtown.

Salt Lake on Thanksgiving weekend seems like it would be fantastic, except for Thanksgiving being a major family holiday that involves traveling to my parents or my inlaws or hosting at our house, all of which are hundereds of miles away and involve thousands of passengers standing in line to clear TSA on a miserable travel week.

Eugene - I'm putting off gameday there until the Buffs can actually play a competitive game. I've never heard people rave about Eugene.

I'm looking forward to Palo Alto this fall, and will hopefully be able to buy Chippy a beer and piss in Liver's shower. I'll have Yo Yo Ma on Pandora for sacky and will wonder which middle aged socialite might be Sacky's sister or Ab's wife. Should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? Time to up your meds pal.

I'd rather you live in Seattle too.

Back