What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl Selections?

FWIW, Brad Edwards at ESPiN is predicting:

MNC game: Bama/wHorns
Rose: Ohio St/Oregon
Sugar: Florida/Cincy
Orange: GT/Iowa
Fiesta: TCU/Boise

His reasoning being that the Fiesta will go for the first ever matchup of unbeatens outside the title game.:huh:

If there are two undefeated games, they both wont be close. Bama will kill Texas and TCU will kill Boise st.

Bama and TCU =legit

Texas and Boise st=good, but have a smoke and mirrors record with padded stats against foo foo teams.

Boise of course was impressive the last time they went to the Fiesta Bowl. With being the closest one geographically to their fanbase and if they traveled well in 2006, I can see them being an attractive pick. With Florida in the Sugar and Georgia Tech in the Orange that only leaves Fiesta to have an unbeaten matchup. If they really want to do this Cincinnati will be one of the teams. TCU and Boise will not match up in any scenario. Two non-BCS conference teams in a non-BCS bowl? Even if TV ratings rise due to the unbeaten nature of the matchup I still think it will be a financial hit.

Boise of course was impressive the last time they went to the Fiesta Bowl. With being the closest one geographically to their fanbase and if they traveled well in 2006, I can see them being an attractive pick. With Florida in the Sugar and Georgia Tech in the Orange that only leaves Fiesta to have an unbeaten matchup. If they really want to do this Cincinnati will be one of the teams. TCU and Boise will not match up in any scenario. Two non-BCS conference teams in a non-BCS bowl? Even if TV ratings rise due to the unbeaten nature of the matchup I still think it will be a financial hit.

I would agree. The only variable is that another bowl may take Cincy before the Fiesta gets their second pick... :huh:

Unleash Hell said:
Texas and Boise st=good, but have a smoke and mirrors record with padded stats against foo foo teams.

Boise did look fairly impressive in beating the evenutal Pac-10 champ...

I would agree. The only variable is that another bowl may take Cincy before the Fiesta gets their second pick... :huh:

Boise did look fairly impressive in beating the evenutal Pac-10 champ...

First game of the season, road game at that for Oregon's first game. Boise st since then has struggled to beat teams like UC Davis, Tulsa, La Tech, and Nevada. They're good, but not as good as the 2006 version that beat OU. BSU would have finished behind TCU, Utah and BYU in the MWC.

Sure about that?? :cool:

I stepped on my dick there.

TCU-Boise

It is really saying alot of the growth of the Boise State program that they were the first At-Large team chosen. The Fiesta could have taken TCU first if they felt no other bowl wanted Boise. They must have felt Boise was the bigger draw for the other bowls and gambled that either TCU or Cincy would be about the same, and that the Orange Bowl wouldn't take TCU.

The MWC is definitely taking notice of that.

TCU playing Boise state means nothing. TCU should play florida and boise Gtech. Lame.

Half of TCU's fanbase will be in Pasadena wearing orange next month anyway. I've found students at most colleges in the state love to bandwagon with the Horns when they're winning. I even saw Tech fans do it last year when UT made a BCS bowl and they didn't. :rolleyes:

TCU playing Boise state means nothing. TCU should play florida and boise Gtech. Lame.

:yeahthat: Both those teams should have had the chance to take on one of the "big boys". Of course, this does give the BCS conferences some protection against dropping a game to a "Cinderella." :huh:

Looking at the final BCS standings, I can't help but think of what could happen if it was leading up to a playoff instead. How about this? Assuming the 6 BCS leagues would get automatic bids, plus the next 2 highest ranked teams in the BCS standings, the first round would be:

1. Alabama vs.
8*. Georgia Tech

4. TCU vs
5. Florida

3. Cincinnati vs
6*. Oregon

2. Texas vs
7*. Ohio State

All seeded one spot higher than their BCS ranking, since #9 BCS Georgia Tech gets in instead of #6 BCS Boise State....

How much fun would that be???

Texas in 2005 was not expected to be able to compete with USC, Texas had Vince Young who fell short of Heisman, probably like McCoy, that game was played at the Rose Bowl, this game will be played at the Rose Bowl, interesting.

I agree in a way. It won't let either team "prove themselves" vs a top BCS conference school (aside from Oregon/Clemson).

On the other hand, it is HUGE that a BCS caliber bowl game like the Fiesta feels 100% certain that the matchup is a financial safe bet, while also a very marketable game.

Nearly everyone figured that they needed to bring in either Iowa or Penn State, both traditional Big Ten powerhouses with large fanbases and alumni in order to sell tickets, hotels, and TV ratings.

They bucked tradition with TWO teams from non-automatic qualifying conferences. I think that is very significant in the scope of college football. If the game is big success on all fronts, then the Fiesta has proven THREE times that they can sell it with a "small school" from either the WAC and MWC, and this time without a traditional school matchup.

If the MWC gains BCS status and/or the Cotton Bowl becomes a 5th BCS game (at the earliest 2015) then they have set the foundation for a relationship with the MWC fans while the Big XII would most likely drop its affiliation with the Fiesta in favor of the Cotton.

All pie-in-the-sky stuff, but worth taking note of the moves that are being made now.

If TCU wins or Cinci wins, the AP should vote them national champs. If they both win? I dunno, CHAOS!

3 undefeateds would be awesome. I was hoping for four, but 3 will do just fine. **** the BCS. A playoff would produce some effing awesome games.

Split National Title!

TCU will beat Boise. They beat Boise last year and Boise was a better team at that time then they are now. Both have solid coaching are are sound fundamentally. I only see a split title though if Texas barely edges out Bama and TCU destroys Boise.

Split National Title!

TCU will beat Boise. They beat Boise last year and Boise was a better team at that time then they are now. Both have solid coaching are are sound fundamentally. I only see a split title though if Texas barely edges out Bama and TCU destroys Boise.
Cinci?

They'd have to destroy Florida much like Bama did, imo. Oooh! There might be enough controversy that no split title would occur. I could see UT being no worse than #2 if they won. TCU or Cinci would get a lot of #3 place votes in the AP. UT gets it as well.

I agree in a way. It won't let either team "prove themselves" vs a top BCS conference school (aside from Oregon/Clemson).

On the other hand, it is HUGE that a BCS caliber bowl game like the Fiesta feels 100% certain that the matchup is a financial safe bet, while also a very marketable game.

Nearly everyone figured that they needed to bring in either Iowa or Penn State, both traditional Big Ten powerhouses with large fanbases and alumni in order to sell tickets, hotels, and TV ratings.

This part certainly has some merit, but I think still think that this does little if anything for the non-BCS qualifiers in gaining respect and proving themselves by not getting a shot against the BCS qualifiers. I categorize Boise as another version of the 2006 Hawaii team, but I think TCU can play just about anyone.

I love these matchups aik. Don't think it'll happen though (two non-BCS teams) but you never know. Florida-TCU could be billed as a "what might have been" but the Sugar may also have a hard time stomaching taking a non-BCS team for the THIRD year in a row.

I also have to say that I agree a couple posts up about the Orange taking a Big 10 team, and honestly I'd see Iowa over Penn State at this point. Remember the Iowa-USC Orange Bowl a few years back? Iowa brouhgt an INSANE amount of fans with them, plus I'm sure there's quite a few "snow-bunnies" from Iowa in Fla right now.

Big 10 alums and former residents of those states make up one of the biggest demographics in Florida. I often wonder how they figure that out. When I was a kid Big 10 football was on after SEC and ACC games all the time.

The Sugar will take Florida. That's a no-brainer.

They have to because if they don't the Orange Bowl would cause its sure fire to fill the stadium.

It is really saying alot of the growth of the Boise State program that they were the first At-Large team chosen. The Fiesta could have taken TCU first if they felt no other bowl wanted Boise. They must have felt Boise was the bigger draw for the other bowls and gambled that either TCU or Cincy would be about the same, and that the Orange Bowl wouldn't take TCU.

The MWC is definitely taking notice of that.

I've heard that, despite the great season, TCU had empty seats in their stadium this year. Again, just a rumor.

Its about the draw and its possible TCU is the ugly duckling in this.

I know a person on a bowl committee. Not a BCS bowl, but a bowl. The first and foremost consideration for bowl selection is number of fans who will buy tickets. TCU had not that great attendance even though they were doing well, hence they get slighted.

IMO, neither Boise or TCU are the best team, or even second and neither should have gotten to the title game this year.

Bama will beat UT, and everything else is academic.

I've heard that, despite the great season, TCU had empty seats in their stadium this year. Again, just a rumor.

Its about the draw and its possible TCU is the ugly duckling in this.

Correct. This year they averaged 38,187 per game (44,358 capacity) for 86% of capacity. The only sell-out was for the Utah game (over 50,000 fans).

They are just too small of a school, with a total fall 2009 enrollment of 8,853, and only approx. 60,000 living alumni. With no historical or geographical relationships with any of the MWC teams, the local population is not attracted in large numbers.

Boise State, had an average attendance of 32,782 (33,610 capacity) for 98% capacity with 2 sellouts (Oregon and Idaho). Clearly they have a more "rabid" fanbase with 18,936 enrolled students and a more supportive local community, but still only has 70,000 living alumni. However the team has travelled well to big bowl games in the past (their 2007 Fiesta allotment was 17,500 and it is estimated that 30,000 Bronco fans showed up). Compare that to West Virginia in the 2008 game who only sold 10,000.

The Fiesta will most likely have similar 17,500 ticket allotments for both Boise and TCU and I would wager that they both sell out. The Fiesta chose these two teams because a Cincy team would have had a hard time selling more than 10,000 tickets (especially if Kelly leaves for Notre Dame). The Big East schools only sell tickets at the Orange or Sugar, and Cincy could not sell the Orange last year.

Correct. This year they averaged 38,187 per game (44,358 capacity) for 86% of capacity. The only sell-out was for the Utah game (over 50,000 fans).

They are just too small of a school, with a total fall 2009 enrollment of 8,853, and only approx. 60,000 living alumni. With no historical or geographical relationships with any of the MWC teams, the local population is not attracted in large numbers.

Boise State, had an average attendance of 32,782 (33,610 capacity) for 98% capacity with 2 sellouts (Oregon and Idaho). Clearly they have a more "rabid" fanbase with 18,936 enrolled students and a more supportive local community, but still only has 70,000 living alumni. However the team has travelled well to big bowl games in the past (their 2007 Fiesta allotment was 17,500 and it is estimated that 30,000 Bronco fans showed up). Compare that to West Virginia in the 2008 game who only sold 10,000.

The Fiesta will most likely have similar 17,500 ticket allotments for both Boise and TCU and I would wager that they both sell out. The Fiesta chose these two teams because a Cincy team would have had a hard time selling more than 10,000 tickets (especially if Kelly leaves for Notre Dame). The Big East schools only sell tickets at the Orange or Sugar, and Cincy could not sell the Orange last year.

Boise has 19,000 enrolled students and only 70,000 living alumni??? :wtf: What do they do there, train snake charmers and bomb disposal technicians??? :wow:

I know a person on a bowl committee. Not a BCS bowl, but a bowl. The first and foremost consideration for bowl selection is number of fans who will buy tickets. TCU had not that great attendance even though they were doing well, hence they get slighted.

IMO, neither Boise or TCU are the best team, or even second and neither should have gotten to the title game this year.

Bama will beat UT, and everything else is academic.

I agree that nothing is more important to the Bowls than ticket sales, but I also think that a "legacy" of really good games/matchups helps them in the long run.

It is easy to state that TCU and Boise should get overlooked due to their attendance/travel numbers from fans. However, every BCS conference has its own "ugly ducklings" as well. When Wake Forest won the ACC and went to the Orange Bowl against Louisville the ratings were horrendous. Likewise with Pitt in the Fiesta when they faced Utah. West Virginia didn't even sellout their allotment to the 2008 Fiesta Bowl.

Would UConn, Cincy, or Syracuse travel well to the Fiesta Bowl either?

Duke, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Washington State, Iowa State, Northwestern, or even Rutgers are not considered strong travel teams either, yet noone would question their right to "automatic" BCS bowl bids. The bowls wouldn't like it, of course, but they are contracted into it.

None of that has anything to do with the performance on the field, and that is why there will always be a disconnect in any post-season that relies on a Bowl selection process, or auto-bids.

Boise has 19,000 enrolled students and only 70,000 living alumni??? :wtf: What do they do there, train snake charmers and bomb disposal technicians??? :wow:

Just a really fast-growing university.

In 1965 they gained 4-year status, in 1974 they finally became a state university, and in 1999 they joined the current FCS division.

Back