What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boyle and Lappe to be extended

Glad for Boyle/Lappe. Hopefully this turns out better than our last extension

Great decision! Boyle is a great coach and its not just buff fans that think so. Everytime I see a game on TV with you always here the opposing media broadcasters metion it along with Boyles peers. You can tell just by the way they play great team basketball.

Glad to hear that our AD is taking our basketball seriously. I think it's very easy to fall into a trap of funnelling all of your time, energy and resources into the football program at the expense of the other programs in the department.

Excellent. Lock him up. From what I've been told by a former Buff, Lappe was a much needed change.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_19865613

CU is proposing that Boyle earn a 3 percent merit raise, increasing his base salary to $165,830. His compensation package is unchanged and amounts to nearly $429,000, which includes, for example, $180,000 for radio, television and public apperances.

Beginning in 2013, Boyle can also earn up to $200,000 annually for incentive compensation, which includes benchmarks such as academic progress for student-athletes. In 2012, his annual incentive compensation can amount to $100,000.

The new agreement also increases performance incentives, with a sliding scale of bonuses for winning records and making it to post-season tournaments. For example, if the team wins 21 regular season games, Boyle will get a bonus of $30,000, which is up from his previous contract that offered $10,000. If he's named "Conference Coach of the Year," he can earn $30,000, up from $10,000. A Buffs' NCAA Championship would net him $750,000, up from his previous incentive of $250,000.

If CU fired Boyle, he could still earn $549,830 a year from the date of termination to April 30, 2016.

They shouldn't have announced it on NSD. Maybe they were ashamed they could only get Boyle a 3% raise?

There is absolutely no excuse to announce this today, this is a big deal for CU hoops. You could double Boyle's salary and it wouldn't be out of line imo compared to other coaches in the P12. It only looks like Mike Montgomery makes less that Boyle in the P12. I realize Oregon has all the Nike $$, but Altman makes 2.5 times Boyle.

SCHOOLHEAD COACH AVERAGE ANNUAL INSTITUTIONAL SALARYASST. COACH AVERAGE ANNUAL INSTITUTIONAL SALARY
ArizonaMen’s: $667,189.00Men’s: $153,711.00
Arizona StateMen’s: $542,954.00Men’s: $126,313.00
CaliforniaMen’s: $380,134.00Men’s: $102,315.00
ColoradoMen’s: $356,768.00Men’s: $159,031.00
OregonMen’s: $940,559.00Men’s: $210,526.00
Oregon StateMen’s: $434,043.00Men’s: $129,816.00
StanfordMen’s: $305,896.00Men’s: $145,205.00
UCLAMen’s: $530,985.00Men’s: $108,871.00
USCMen’s: $461,579.00Men’s: $168,731.00
UtahMen’s: $382,758.00Men’s: $128,063.00
WashingtonMen’s: $682,013.00Men’s: $176,907.00
Washington StateMen’s: $379,403.00Men’s: $105,665.00

What does Colorado, California, and Stanford all have in common?

1. They are one of the top teams in the PAC12
3. Some of the lowest paid coaches

jg put some perspective on it for us. there are 5 coaches under 400k a year and 7 under 500k so while we are second from the bottom it is not like we don't have a lot of company.

On the bright side, our assistant coaches are fourth in the Pac. Did Boyle make an arrangement like Embree to defer some of his salary to his assistants?

Last edited:
I'm glad this was done, and hope they continue to reevaluate and potentially re-up him again in two years if the program continues in the direction it is headed. Initially I thought 3% was trying to get it done on the cheap - but after thinking for a bit I am hoping that maybe it is evidence that the mistakes made in football coach extensions will not be repeated. Congrats Coach Boyle! Well deserved.

Easy decision. They've both been successful in their first 2 years here at CU. No "1-year wonders" in this coaching tandem. Good move.

I think it was wise to extend Lappe's contract. Yes, a change was overdue. Bohn hired her predecessor who was a disaster of a coach at this program.

Reading the numbers, it doesn't look like the 3% merit raise was the big piece here. It's the incentive/bonus structure that is substantially bigger and makes the overall compensation package more competitive.

Reading the numbers, it doesn't look like the 3% merit raise was the big piece here. It's the incentive/bonus structure that is substantially bigger and makes the overall compensation package more competitive.
Now the coaches just need to reach these incentives.

Glad for the extension - but we'd be ready to pony up some cash when teams come knocking this next offseason

First, I love Tad as a coach, and this is no means a knock on him, but it really does show that sometimes you have things going in your favor.

But what would CU's record look like if we were still in the Big 12 and made it into the tourney last year? First we would not have had the most wins in school history last year, and this year we would have been possibly a .500 team (what most of us predicted before the season).

Still with that said, I am glad they gave both him and Lappe the extension, I think we will be giving Tad another raise very shortly. Even if the worst case senario was true as I mentioned above, Tad would be far exceeding all expectations of Colorado Basketball.

The data reported in the earlier post that shows the salaries at each school is an institutional average over all sports, not just basketball (check the link). As such, we can't really draw too many conclusions about basketball. Since this includes the football salaries, I'm guessing the CU assistant coaches' salaries are heavily skewed by Bieniemy's $250K base salary. I couldn't find the salaries of the CU assistant basketball coaches. The one thing that does jump out to me from this is that Cal an Stanford are really underpaying their assistants considering the huge cost of living premium for the Bay-area over the rest of the Pac 12 locales.

Last edited:
Back