What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boyle drops the Dre comparison with Bey

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
So excited to see this kid play.

"Tyler is a guy who probably, physically and talent-wise, has got the most upside as anybody in our freshman class," Boyle said. "How quickly he can adjust to the college game and the college lifestyle, that is going to be the key. But Tyler is a guy who is as close to Andre Roberson as we've had coming into our program.

"The difference is Tyler is a guy who can be a threat behind the 3-point line. He can shoot the ball. He can rebound it. He's athletic. He's long. He's 6-7 and he can play multiple positions. He can guard multiple positions. He's terrific in terms of his upside."

http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...already-drawing-impressive-comparison-cu-mens

So excited to see this kid play.

"Tyler is a guy who probably, physically and talent-wise, has got the most upside as anybody in our freshman class," Boyle said. "How quickly he can adjust to the college game and the college lifestyle, that is going to be the key. But Tyler is a guy who is as close to Andre Roberson as we've had coming into our program.

"The difference is Tyler is a guy who can be a threat behind the 3-point line. He can shoot the ball. He can rebound it. He's athletic. He's long. He's 6-7 and he can play multiple positions. He can guard multiple positions. He's terrific in terms of his upside."

http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...already-drawing-impressive-comparison-cu-mens
I was surprised to see him say that. No question this team is going to be young and talented this year - it will be entertaining and frustrating.

I was about to link that. That's high praise. I really like the talent level in this class, but more than that, I love the mixture of personalities and game. Everyone has their own role and it works well together

Do we have another Spencer Dinwiddie on this team? Dude was nails.

So redshirting Bey is out of the question?
Will be interesting to see how roles and minutes are decided.
If total buy-in, then team has the possibility to be a force in the years to come.

Heh. White was amazing. I agree. He didn't make the rest of the team better like the Mayor did, though.

I remember the Mayor going into CSU and dismantling the goats. Last years team lost to the goats at home. Just one point of reference, but Spencer was one of the all time best.

The 13-14 team with Spencer healthy the entire season is a sweet 16 squad. The 13-14 team with last season's White is a final four contender. Spencer had a team with chemistry and a true post to work with. Regardless, I just hope one of next year's freshmen ends up as good as either of them.

The 13-14 team with Spencer healthy the entire season is a sweet 16 squad. The 13-14 team with last season's White is a final four contender. Spencer had a team with chemistry and a true post to work with. Regardless, I just hope one of next year's freshmen ends up as good as either of them.
I think you're exaggerating a bit, but that's ok. It's fun to be a fan. I think if you put White on that 13-14 team, he'd take away too many shots from Ski. It's fun to fantasize, though.

Spencer was a likely top 20 pick before he got hurt so I don't really get the generalization he would be way better for that team than White. Also, it is pretty clear Spencer was one of the best leaders to come through the basketball program in a long time. Last years team had the talent but they lacked the leadership to do anything.

I think you're exaggerating a bit, but that's ok. It's fun to be a fan. I think if you put White on that 13-14 team, he'd take away too many shots from Ski. It's fun to fantasize, though.

Taking away shots from Ski would have been a good thing. White's a much better shooter (.507/.396/.813 versus .389/.272/.818). Ski was always a volume shooter. White was an extremely efficient scorer from the guard spot.

Keep in mind, White was the best player on the floor when CU beat Oregon (yes, better than Brooks, Bell, Dorsey, etc) and also in the Pac-12 tournament game against Arizona. He also willed CU to the win over Xavier last season, and saved the game with a blocked shot. I'm not taking anything away from Spencer, but White doesn't get the credit he deserves because of the team struggles last season.

Back to Bey, I'm excited to see what he can do. A strong wing defender can make a huge difference.

Spencer was a likely top 20 pick before he got hurt so I don't really get the generalization he would be way better for that team than White. Also, it is pretty clear Spencer was one of the best leaders to come through the basketball program in a long time. Last years team had the talent but they lacked the leadership to do anything.
That's the key. Spencer was a guy who had a certain gravitas, especially since he'd been a starter for 3 years and was anything but a wallflower. Plus he learned under Nate and Carlon on the leadership front. That makes a big difference on a team.

That's the key. Spencer was a guy who had a certain gravitas, especially since he'd been a starter for 3 years and was anything but a wallflower. Plus he learned under Nate and Carlon on the leadership front. That makes a big difference on a team.

Agree, Spencer was a great leader at CU. I'm not meaning any disrespect to Spencer or what he accomplished. Spencer is one of the best to wear the CU uniform.

We didn't get to see White's leadership, because he was put into an almost impossible position of instantly taking over leadership of a team with two guys who were in their 5th year in the program (and were going to do their own thing, regardless of impact on the team), another in his 4th, and another who was a 5th year senior. White is also one of the best to wear the CU uniform, and severely underrated by many fans because of last year's team.

So is Boyle saying that Bey is better than Dre because he has three point range? Dre did a LOT of little things that went unnoticed (screens, hustle down court on both ends, sliding over to defend the paint when offensive players got past the CU defender, boxing out the lane - not just his defender). Having a 3pt shot is nice, but the team is loaded with wings that can do that. Can the guy rebound in the Pac12, block shots, be dependable in the paint, play Pac12 level defense and get up and down the court at this level)? Those are things yet to be seen, before any valid comparison's to a GREAT CU player and NBA starter are made.

So is Boyle saying that Bey is better than Dre because he has three point range? Dre did a LOT of little things that went unnoticed (screens, hustle down court on both ends, sliding over to defend the paint when offensive players got past the CU defender, boxing out the lane - not just his defender). Having a 3pt shot is nice, but the team is loaded with wings that can do that. Can the guy rebound in the Pac12, block shots, be dependable in the paint, play Pac12 level defense and get up and down the court at this level)? Those are things yet to be seen, before any valid comparison's to a GREAT CU player and NBA starter are made.
Boyle specifically compared him to Dre when coming into the program.

Key words "as close to Dre as we've had"

Most of us have seen Bey & thought he kinda looks like Dre. No Buff will match what Dre did for a long time. 75% of Dre on defense with better shooting would be the dream scenario for Bey.

I know @Goose cannot WAIT to see what this kid can do. I am pretty excited myself.

Seriously, I keep trying to avoid the Dre comparison because those are HUGE ****ing shoes to fill - and that's not fair to any freshman - but damn.... this kid is easily my favorite recruit in this class (and I really like this class).

Seriously, I keep trying to avoid the Dre comparison because those are HUGE ****ing shoes to fill - and that's not fair to any freshman - but damn.... this kid is easily my favorite recruit in this class (and I really like this class).

Easily your favorite? That's good to read that level of excitement about him. I like him too, but personally, Schwartz and Wright are my favorite freshmen (yes, I am a CO homer, so Schwartz may be biased).

Easily your favorite? That's good to read that level of excitement about him. I like him too, but personally, Schwartz and Wright are my favorite freshmen (yes, I am a CO homer, so Schwartz may be biased).

This whole class is going to be so good, but I'm personally super excited to see what Battey can do. He's a big body, an even bigger leader, and he's got an awesome shot (and he's not bad from 3pt range.) I'm interested to see who we end up talking about the most in 2 years from this class.

Yup. Wright is second. I feel like I'm missing something on Schwartz though. I think he's going to be good, but I don't think of him as a star like many others do. Honestly though I think that's on me. Too many people I respect love him and I think I may have an anti-Colorado HS bias poking through.

Yup. Wright is second. I feel like I'm missing something on Schwartz though. I think he's going to be good, but I don't think of him as a star like many others do. Honestly though I think that's on me. Too many people I respect love him and I think I may have an anti-Colorado HS bias poking through.
With Schwartz, I think of a Rip Hamilton type guy. Offensive toolbox, BBIQ, length & angles. Once the college game slows down for him and he gets into the flow, he's going to be an automatic double digit scorer with good efficiency.

With Schwartz, I think of a Rip Hamilton type guy. Offensive toolbox, BBIQ, length & angles. Once the college game slows down for him and he gets into the flow, he's going to be an automatic double digit scorer with good efficiency.
Except Schwartz is already 30 lbs heavier than Rip was as a pro. D'Shawn, to me has huge offensive potential.

Hopefully the expectations are not too fast and furious so they can grow into the players they can be.
Buff Twitter is very quick to turn if not immediate success.

There will be some growing pains, but with time they will be just fine

I was looking on Twitter and found a nice video of the three freshmen on campus now

All three have smooth jumpers, but Wright and Schwartz seem a little more natural.

Also found this disconcerting message

Hopefully the momentum from this class spurs people to fill CEC.
This team will need some support as they find their stride.
Make CEC a dreaded place to play with the altitude, fan noise, and team on the floor

I actually don't think any of the players will actually be stars; I define star here as 1st team all conference conversation. There is obviously the potential for them to become stars since we haven't seen a minute of them in college games, and of course I hope they all do. But for me, I expect these kids to just grow into solid starters, and I hope (realistically imo) that 2-3 of them turn into honorable mention conference players. We can win at a high level with five players playing on the same page, playing at an honorable mention-level. If we can just recruit a legitimate star though, with a strong supporting cast...we may have something. At the very least, this group should become a really strong supporting cast.

Agreed on Schwartz. Will have to see him play at the D1 level first. The potential is certainly there.

Back