What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bradleeeeeee

I think that first part is a separate argument about where the game should be played.

I know barely anyone who went to air force and no one that went to Wyoming, but I know a ton of people who went to CSU (I imagine most people are the same). I don't think you can fabricate the new rivalries to overcome human relationships around the state. Maybe if Air Force joined the Big12 you could, but I don't think anything outside of a monolithic expenditure of money could fabricate a better regional rivalry (I guess that's a tepid agreement on your second part).

I don't know anyone who went to kNU. Just saying....

My points are 1) It wasn't a rivalry until the game was taken to Invesco, and the local media whipped both schools into a frenzy. 2) It's more fun when both teams are ranked and the outcome actually mattered. 3) The Invesco location was chosen because of money. It was never about a college experience. If this were about college experience, the games would be on campus. 5) As a Buff fan, it's rare to never that the Buffs travel to nearby D1 schools to experience their unique environment, which is a shame. The AFA gameday experience is something that looks like fun. AFA has a gorgeous campus and a nice tradition that CU fans have been missing out on while our collective panties are in a wad over CSU 6) It sucks that the closest campus that CU fans can road trip is kNU, 500 miles away. 7) BVP is a poor role model. If you are need someone to wear the black hat, you might just be a pro-wrestling fan. 8) CSU has about as much cred as ISU or KSU. To fuel a CSU rivalry, bring them into the B12N and give the boot to a place most Buffs will never see.

I don't know anyone who went to kNU. Just saying....
It's not an instate rivalry though and doesn't really argue against the personal feel of the CSU rivalry which is what an instate rival needs.

My points are 1) It wasn't a rivalry until the game was taken to Invesco, and the local media whipped both schools into a frenzy. 2) It's more fun when both teams are ranked and the outcome actually mattered. 3) The Invesco location was chosen because of money. It was never about a college experience. If this were about college experience, the games would be on campus. 5) As a Buff fan, it's rare to never that the Buffs travel to nearby D1 schools to experience their unique environment, which is a shame. The AFA gameday experience is something that looks like fun. AFA has a gorgeous campus and a nice tradition that CU fans have been missing out on while our collective panties are in a wad over CSU 6) It sucks that the closest campus that CU fans can road trip is kNU, 500 miles away. 7) BVP is a poor role model. If you are need someone to wear the black hat, you might just be a pro-wrestling fan. 8) CSU has about as much cred as ISU or KSU. To fuel a CSU rivalry, bring them into the B12N and give the boot to a place most Buffs will never see.
My first college game I ever watched was Air Force, I defiantly have an affinity for the place, I have no qualms playing scheduling them(like we are Wyoming next year) and would actually prefer them as our instate rival. But the media frenzy didn't come out of nowhere, it's based off of real tangible things like relationships, proximity, and school affiliation in the state. Because the media helped propagate something doesn't make it wrong. Hang around the student in the parking lot and tell me there isn't a collegiate feel, regardless collegiate athletics go beyond just campuses (I don't chillax around campus after graduating, I post on these forums talk with my friends). I do agree with 6-8 though, Christ getting CSU into the big12 would be a boon for the college system in Colorado.

As big a douche as Bradlee was, I hated sunny worse. I hated sunny because he was an asshole, but he wasnt man enough to fess up to it. That 'aw shucks' bull**** made me want to toss my skoal can at his head.

:lol:

And now he's gone, too.

I'm telling you (and anybody else who cares) that this game has lost a lot of it's intrigue. No mullet + no trashmouth = boring game. We might as well be playing Utah State. Having it at Invesco adds a little bit of a unique character to the game, and there are a lot of CSU alumni who come out of the woodwork for just that game, but for the most part, it's a dud.

CSU v CU at Invesco. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt. Time to move on.

"Option 1) Kick out KSU or ISU from the B12 North. Replace w/ CSU. This gives CSU BCS money and puts a geographical rivalry in place. This could also bring a B12 CCG to Denver. Then we can have more flexibility in our OOC scheduling."

Call me petty, but no way do I want CSU handed Big XII membership and BCS money and recruiting. Kick little brother to the gutter and keep him there.

Call me petty, but no way do I want CSU handed Big XII membership and BCS money and recruiting. Kick little brother to the gutter and keep him there.

My petty response is that I friggin' hate how CU is the outpost of the B12, and that the 'neutral' CCG is played in St Louis or KC or Houston or Dallas or San Antonio. As a result of the geographical issolation, CU fans get a bum rap for not travelling well. F**k that.

I'd laugh my ass off if OU or UT had to face the huskers at Invesco. We'd see how well they travel, and line Denver's pockets in the process.

The only way that would ever happen is if CSU joined the conference.

Besides, CSU and Ft Fun is friggin Disneyland compaired to Ames or Manhattan, KS.

My petty response is that I friggin' hate how CU is the outpost of the B12, and that the 'neutral' CCG is played in St Louis or KC or Houston or Dallas or San Antonio. As a result of the geographical issolation, CU fans get a bum rap for not travelling well. F**k that.

I'd laugh my ass off if OU or UT had to face the huskers at Invesco. We'd see how well they travel, and line Denver's pockets in the process.

The only way that would ever happen is if CSU joined the conference.

Besides, CSU and Ft Fun is friggin Disneyland compaired to Ames or Manhattan, KS.

Believe it or not, I agree with you. I wouldn't mind having CSU in the B12. It wouldn't necessarily help CU, but it would elevate the profile of college football in Colorado. If you believe in the theory that a rising tide raises all boats, the impact on CU could be positive. I think it would be similar to the OU/OSU situation. OSU is certainly in much better shape than it would be if it were in the WAC or CUSA, and OU hasn't seen any direct benefit from having their little brother in the conference, but OU still remains the top school in the state and has prospered with OSU in the conference.

We may have some other things helping elevate college football in the state even without CSU in the Big XII. The Buffs are getting good at just the right time. The Broncos are mediocre (I am a realistic Bronco fan) and not showing signs of improving that position for some time while the tickets are pricing a lot of fans out of the game. While folks still buy their tickets, I know for a fact folks are going to fewer and selling more. To illustrate the tickets - my first level seats have gone from $68/seat in 2000 to $110/seat in 2008 without much playoff success to show for it. (I still love the Broncos but I enjoy the gameday atmosphere at CU a whole lot more)

Just my opinion, but I think the Buffs are going to benefit as a subset of these "displaced" fans opt to buy CU tickets and sell or drop Bronco tickets.

...But the media frenzy didn't come out of nowhere, it's based off of real tangible things like relationships, proximity, and school affiliation in the state. Because the media helped propagate something doesn't make it wrong. Hang around the student in the parking lot and tell me there isn't a collegiate feel, regardless collegiate athletics go beyond just campuses (I don't chillax around campus after graduating, I post on these forums talk with my friends). I do agree with 6-8 though, Christ getting CSU into the big12 would be a boon for the college system in Colorado.

:yeahthat:

I know it drives some of you crazy - but this is a rivalry for me and always will be. I don't care if CSU is terrible and CU stomps them every year, it is a rivalry based upon the relationships that I've established in the state. It is an emotional game. I know Invesco doesn't have the campus feel, but man those fans are worked into a frenzy (CU and CSU both).... I can still remember the game back in... '03 I think, walking down the west ramp at Invesco, feeling the whole stadium shake with chants of 'It sucks, to be, a CSU Ram'... fights breaking out outside the stadium (and inside).... it is good stuff.

Let's not forget the games at Folsom either... last second field goals and goaline stands...

Even last years game came down to OT, an interception, and a field goal...

No - this is a rivalry... a game that sets the tone for an entire season of football. At least for me it is.

We may have some other things helping elevate college football in the state even without CSU in the Big XII. The Buffs are getting good at just the right time. The Broncos are mediocre (I am a realistic Bronco fan) and not showing signs of improving that position for some time while the tickets are pricing a lot of fans out of the game. While folks still buy their tickets, I know for a fact folks are going to fewer and selling more. To illustrate the tickets - my first level seats have gone from $68/seat in 2000 to $110/seat in 2008 without much playoff success to show for it. (I still love the Broncos but I enjoy the gameday atmosphere at CU a whole lot more)

Just my opinion, but I think the Buffs are going to benefit as a subset of these "displaced" fans opt to buy CU tickets and sell or drop Bronco tickets.

But how many fans are we realistically talking about? The Broncos may not be all that great right now, but they still had a 98% retention rate for season tickets this offseason. It's not like the Broncos haven't had their struggles before. It would take a monumental collapse (5-6 years of losing seasons) before you would see any appreciable gain in Buffs attendance. The athletic department shouldn't be counting on displaced Broncos fans, they should be making a better effort with local alumni. That outreach has definitely improved, but it has a ways to go.

And oh yeah, it might help to win some games as well. As much as people talk about the Broncos being average, the Buffs are in exactly the same spot right now. We better be true competitors for the Big 12 North very soon.

Adding to what Boulder buff said,it would also help if the ALUMNI would get off their asses and show up for games. Many went back to california or texas and don't come back to the games.

Adding to what Boulder buff said,it would also help if the ALUMNI would get off their asses and show up for games. Many went back to california or texas and don't come back to the games.

You're absolutely correct. I went to CU in the late 80's, which was the prime time of CU football. A lot of my fraternity brothers still live around here, and don't go to the games. I'm like :wtf: If you enjoyed the games so much when you went to school there, what's to prevent you from enjoying them after you graduate? :confused: There's only two guys from my fraternity that I know of for sure that still go to the games regularly and I'm one of them. And I'm sorry, cost is simply not an issue. A set of season tickets costs $235.

But how many fans are we realistically talking about? The Broncos may not be all that great right now, but they still had a 98% retention rate for season tickets this offseason. It's not like the Broncos haven't had their struggles before. It would take a monumental collapse (5-6 years of losing seasons) before you would see any appreciable gain in Buffs attendance. The athletic department shouldn't be counting on displaced Broncos fans, they should be making a better effort with local alumni. That outreach has definitely improved, but it has a ways to go.

And oh yeah, it might help to win some games as well. As much as people talk about the Broncos being average, the Buffs are in exactly the same spot right now. We better be true competitors for the Big 12 North very soon.

I can't quote how many but there is a subset as I stated.

Yes - they retain the ticket sales, but if you go to the games you will notice that the faces change from week to week in the seats you know are owned by private parties (and many around me have changed over to corporate). Bowlen et al look at the stats as you do and say things are fine because people are spending the money. The fact is that the environment has completely changed and it is not nearly as fun as it used to be - and the football knowledge has degraded appreciably (which is a factor in my enjoyment of the games - I could care what Sally and Susy do on their day off - I want to hear folks focsing on the game and talking about football at a football game).

I admit - I fuel that retention rate since I retain the rights, but sell more and more of my seats to games each year - as do a lot of other fans.

I firmly believe the Buffs success over the next three years will grab more local attention. You know as well as I do that it takes all kinds of different segments to get the attendance up - alumni, true college fans who have moved here, general football fans, etc.

Bottom line - I am just pointing out a segment of the population that I believe exists which is not talked about.

And I'm sorry, cost is simply not an issue. A set of season tickets costs $235.

Completely agree.

I see about 20 guys regularly from my fraternity at Buff games, but where are all of the others? They sure were loyal fans when in school.

I firmly believe the Buffs success over the next three years will grab more local attention. You know as well as I do that it takes all kinds of different segments to get the attendance up - alumni, true college fans who have moved here, general football fans, etc.

Bottom line - I am just pointing out a segment of the population that I believe exists which is not talked about.

I think it would help to know what kind of success we're talking about. I'm starting to see more and more Buffs fans giving the "wait 'til next year" line every offseason. Another 6-6 season, which seems to be the expectations of most fans, ain't gonna cut it.

As far as displaced Broncos fans, I just don't know. If they don't have a tie to the school, I'm not sure that CU games are a viable alternative for them. I hope you're right. It would be nice to see the CU fanbase grow.

Don't presume to know what everyone' financial situations or priorities are.

I don't presume anything of the sort. But $235 is less than most people spend at Starbucks in a year. If you enjoyed the games as a student, what's keeping you from going to the games as an alumnus? I'm not going to tell somebody on food stamps and welfare that they need to be going to Buff games, but for somebody pulling in $50K or more (which would be the vast majority of CU grads), it's a drop in the bucket.

The only reason anyone says anything about him is because of a head spike and he talked **** about cu. That's it,he was 17-10 as a starter.

He doesn't even compare to what hagan did at cu.

Back