What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breakout player -- what guy's breakout would give the most upside?

He was P12 HM as a soph last year, though.

Well I thought you said the options were:
an All-Conference Honorable Mention or better performance

So I will go with Sefo for "better". If he can play at a solidly improved level statistically, it will say a lot of things about how his supporting cast played as well as his decision making.

Defense: a pass rusher would make the biggest impact on that side from an individual standpoint.

A PAC 12 level productive running back would make a big difference. It tuned around Utah's program last year.

Does McCartney really have that much upside?

We'll find out. Dude will work at it and become as good as he can possibly be. Adding the power and base of another 30 lbs of muscle from his 2014 weight would make a world of difference.

My answer to my OP question is McCartney. Him becoming a double digit sack guy would have huge impact and I also think he's capable.

I can't pick one person...anyone on the DL or an LB needs a all-conference season. Our offense was good enough to win last year and should be as good or better this year. We need to stop the run to turn those close Ls into Ws.

I can't pick one person...anyone on the DL or an LB needs a all-conference season. Our offense was good enough to win last year and should be as good or better this year. We need to stop the run to turn those close Ls into Ws.

The one thing I would say is, in general I agree that our O was good enough to win. However, it was a little one dimensional in that when we need to pound it on the goal line for the win...ie Cal, UCLA, etc, we couldn't. They weren't even concerned we might try.

The one thing I would say is, in general I agree that our O was good enough to win. However, it was a little one dimensional in that when we need to pound it on the goal line for the win...ie Cal, UCLA, etc, we couldn't. They weren't even concerned we might try.

I agree wholeheartedly. If we can find a RB or two, or a nice RB FB set that we feel fairly confident with operating under 15 yards in the redzone then we are going to win some games. I'm tired of settling for field goals every drive I want to see someone or a few people step up in that regard. Frazier maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running back/running game. We are CU. We need to be able to run the ball even in obvious running situations.

I'll go with the JUCO RB. I'm really hoping some of the new RBs are a significant upgrade over what we currently have.

Last edited:
My answer to my OP question is McCartney. Him becoming a double digit sack guy would have huge impact and I also think he's capable.

Not to mention it would be a great story. The grandson of BillMac, the son of a former Buff, a Boulder kid, unknown to the recruiting world.... And he's been all about hard work. Hope it happens.

Running back/running game. We are CU. We need to be able to run the ball even in obvious running situations.

I'll go with the JUCO RB. I'm really hoping some of the new RBs are a significant upgrade over what we currently have.

Who's the JUCO RB?

Who's the JUCO RB?

Baltazar.

Looked great as a true frosh at Boise, hurt his knee, decided to leave the program, and took JUCO credits without playing in 2014. He'll join the Buffs over the summer with 3 years to play 3.

Don't agree.

Against UCLA, we put up 233 yards on the ground and Adkins averaged over 6 ypc. Jones also scored from 1 yard out as they went 5/6 in the redzone with 3 of them being TDS. 3rd down was bad, but the defense can take the blame for this one. 309 yards on the ground given up, 6.7 yards per play, and 4 total touchdowns on the ground alone. The defense put the offense in the home early seeing as how it was 0-17 at the end of the 1st.

For Cal, Oliver missed 3 FG's and the defense gave up 35 points in the 2nd half. Yeah we failed to score on the goal line in the 2nd OT, but Cal scored 3 times from 25 or more yards (25, 40, 70). The offense scored 56 points and the defense gave up 59...I put a lot more blame on the defense for this game and the UCLA game, and most games.

Baltazar.

Looked great as a true frosh at Boise, hurt his knee, decided to leave the program, and took JUCO credits without playing in 2014. He'll join the Buffs over the summer with 3 years to play 3.

Oh, I didn't realize Baltazar was a JUCO kid. I thought he was a transfer from BSU to Wazzu but sat out and never actually enrolled. Thanks for the info.

In no particular order:

Connor Center: a 6'7" TE making all conference would be huge and totally unexpected.
Bryce Bobo: This can't just be the Nelson Spruce show again, who steps up at WR?
Grant Watanabe: we need LBs badly.
Pass rusher: anyone would suffice

This was my initial thought too.

An interior or edge pass rusher who can also defend the run. Have to stop the run better. I wanna talk to Samson.

Whoever it has to be to keep the other team from scoring as many points as they (always) do. Sooo, a DE I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The whole defense needs to improve enough that I'm not sure an individual player is the focus. Of course, if everyone plays better, it may produce a star and I'd be happy if it was a DE.

A PAC 12 level productive running back would make a big difference. It tuned around Utah's program last year.

And after reading the thread, even 'Tini's post, I'd love to see one of the backs assert himself over most of the season. We need that short yardage confidence for 4th and 1 or punching it over the goalline.

Don't agree.

Against UCLA, we put up 233 yards on the ground and Adkins averaged over 6 ypc. Jones also scored from 1 yard out as they went 5/6 in the redzone with 3 of them being TDS. 3rd down was bad, but the defense can take the blame for this one. 309 yards on the ground given up, 6.7 yards per play, and 4 total touchdowns on the ground alone. The defense put the offense in the home early seeing as how it was 0-17 at the end of the 1st.

For Cal, Oliver missed 3 FG's and the defense gave up 35 points in the 2nd half. Yeah we failed to score on the goal line in the 2nd OT, but Cal scored 3 times from 25 or more yards (25, 40, 70). The offense scored 56 points and the defense gave up 59...I put a lot more blame on the defense for this game and the UCLA game, and most games.

Wrt the original post, somewhere on page 1 I put that the game-changer would someone who could keep the other team's offense from scoring so many points. Ergo,
a DE.

But I stand by my remark that if we could have punched it in when it mattered, we would have won...even with all the missed field goals and whathaveyou.

In no particular order:

Connor Center: a 6'7" TE making all conference would be huge and totally unexpected.
Bryce Bobo: This can't just be the Nelson Spruce show again, who steps up at WR?
Grant Watanabe: we need LBs badly.
Pass rusher: anyone would suffice

This

And I might add, someone at the corner-back position to shutdown the opponents best wideout

So, to summarize, we've determined that we need the following positions/players to "break out" in order to have success in '15:

- Sefo - QB
- #3 WR (to compliment our top 2) - Ross/Bobo
- A big time receiving TE - Center
- A couple OL
- At least 2 RBs - Carr/Baltazar
- 2 pass rushers - Samson/McCartney
- A LB or two - KO/Rippy/Awini???
- Safety
- CB to shut down the opposing team's #1 WR - Crawley/Wright/Awuzie??

Glad we're all on the same page! :lol:

I'd like to see a tight end step up with 30+ catches, 500+ yards and 5-6 TDs. That's just enough to keep teams honest and should open up a lot of opportunities for other guys to make plays. I really don't care which TE does that. All of the TEs on the roster right now are "just guys", so I think they fall into the category that Nik was referring to.

So, to summarize, we've determined that we need the following positions/players to "break out" in order to have success in '15:

- Sefo - QB
- #3 WR (to compliment our top 2) - Ross/Bobo
- A big time receiving TE - Center
- A couple OL
- At least 2 RBs - Carr/Baltazar
- 2 pass rushers - Samson/McCartney
- A LB or two - KO/Rippy/Awini???
- Safety
- CB to shut down the opposing team's #1 WR - Crawley/Wright/Awuzie??

Glad we're all on the same page! :lol:

Like what your saying here! What I'd like to add/switch:
#3 WR Walker/Keeney (don't seeing him gain enough weight to B TE) Thus Spruce position
TE would love for Center to solidify spot (remember MIAMI 'U' offered him based on his work out tape...
LB Shaver ILB,Falo & Gilliam OLB (3-3-5)
Safety Lagunda/Bell Seasoned crew W/ White, TT as backups
CB Whitherspoon,Awuzie nickle

If Hennington is our best DL we are hosed. Great Buff and local product, but he's just a guy. He had less than 10 tackles in 2013.

Am I mis-remembering on this one (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... but didn't Henington decide to become a vegetarian last year? It's damn near impossible to pack on muscle mass and bulk with a vegetarian diet. If I remember correctly, that's a big factor that played into him deciding to slim down to DE despite coaches' wishes that he play on the interior.

Based on that and his lingering injury issues (non-participant this spring after missing last season), I've got Henington pegged as a guy who will graduate and move on from college/football as soon as he can.

Back