What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breakout player -- what guy's breakout would give the most upside?

This all makes me very sad. Not eating meat is very very sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's definitely possible to get enough calories, protein, fat, etc on a vegetarian diet to increase muscle mass and gain weight. That should neither be surprising nor controversial.

What also shouldn't be surprising or controversial is the fact that it will also require more effort in terms of time, planning, thinking, and possibly money; it also probably requires access to a kitchen and some cooking abilities (that will probably have to be learned as well). This is in addition to time and effort spent on class, homework, football study/practice/travel, working out and socializing. It should not be a surprise when diet and meal planning are added to the list that they end up being the activities given the least attention.

In short, unless there is a lot support from the training staff specific to them (everything from arranging meals when the team is traveling to making sure he knows how to approach the training table, cafeteria lines and buffets), it would not surprise me in the least to see any college athlete struggle to gain and keep weight when they embrace a vegetarian diet.

It's definitely possible to get enough calories, protein, fat, etc on a vegetarian diet to increase muscle mass and gain weight. That should neither be surprising nor controversial.

What also shouldn't be surprising or controversial is the fact that it will also require more effort in terms of time, planning, thinking, and possibly money; it also probably requires access to a kitchen and some cooking abilities (that will probably have to be learned as well). This is in addition to time and effort spent on class, homework, football study/practice/travel, working out and socializing. It should not be a surprise when diet and meal planning are added to the list that they end up being the activities given the least attention.

In short, unless there is a lot support from the training staff specific to them (everything from arranging meals when the team is traveling to making sure he knows how to approach the training table, cafeteria lines and buffets), it would not surprise me in the least to see any college athlete struggle to gain and keep weight when they embrace a vegetarian diet.

With this, its also possible to build a bridge from San Fran to Honolulu!

But why bother?

Wih a little help from God, our ancestors have already done the work for you by creating vegetation conversion factories (a/k/a, beef cattle, pigs and chickens) which allow all that time, planning and money to be used to greater effect elsewhere, as in, "Weight room's open!"

Vegetarian diet to gain impressive muscle mass? It's a concept that fits well under a wonderful quote:

"You can saddle a cow, but why?"
Joseph Stalin

There are plenty of good options for calories. You can eat avocados, olive oil and dark chocolate. Nuts also are high in protein and calories. Don't have to constantly eat either.

You can put on mass quickly without eating things that don't provide additional benefits.

In regards to the topic, if Tedric Thompson and Jered Bell are healthy all season or most of it, we are going to be causing some fits and our team may just get to that double digit mark in INTs which would be the difference we need on defense with that pass rush and run stop. Okay everything needs to get better as pointed out from all of our arm chair insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You hit the nail on the head. I was reading some of this laughing my head off. I thought I wa reading an issue of Muscle and Fitness like my college professor used to say. In all reality, it boils down to getting quality calories for mass. Too many people get too caught up in the protein aspect. Grab a sports nutrition book and take a class, you'll find out how that protein is not as big as everyone thinks. This team needs a good nutrition program like Oregon has.

Perhaps this was covered elsewhere but did you guys see the quote that HCMM said Rippy is showing some spark this Spring? Rivals had an article about him the other day and it appears maybe just maybe the light is coming on. It even sounded like he has decided his ultimate goal is the NFL, which means he would have found inspiration somewhere. Seems pumped by having Leavitt as his coach too.

Perhaps this was covered elsewhere but did you guys see the quote that HCMM said Rippy is showing some spark this Spring? Rivals had an article about him the other day and it appears maybe just maybe the light is coming on. It even sounded like he has decided his ultimate goal is the NFL, which means he would have found inspiration somewhere. Seems pumped by having Leavitt as his coach too.
Are you insinuating a high caliber position coach who's had a great deal of success at all levels may be able to help a kid develop for the nfl regardless of the current state of the program?

You hit the nail on the head. I was reading some of this laughing my head off. I thought I wa reading an issue of Muscle and Fitness like my college professor used to say. In all reality, it boils down to getting quality calories for mass. Too many people get too caught up in the protein aspect. Grab a sports nutrition book and take a class, you'll find out how that protein is not as big as everyone thinks. This team needs a good nutrition program like Oregon has.

Let's not get carried away. Caloric intake is the biggest key in gaining weight but protein and amino acids are essential for building muscle mass, which is the kind of weight these kids need. A good rule of thumb for athletes trying to gain or maintain a solid weight is to be taking in their body weight and then some in grams of protein. If a kid is around 270 lbs, he should be consuming around 300, or more, grams of protein a day. That means that between 3 squares/day and probably 2-3 other "snacks", said athlete needs about 50-60 grams of lean protein per meal/snack. A vegetarian diet can get that done, but it's definitely not the easiest thing to do and it's a foregone conclusion that a lot of money is likely to be spent on protein/weight gaining supplements.

Back