What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Brilliant piece on how Boyle built CU into a winner

I had a heated exchange with some KU fans on Facebook on Saturday (my cousins, my BFF, all of my childhood friends are 'Hawks). My cousin was saying how classless it was for the students to rush the court, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, at the end, one of them said, "CU fans better hope OKC doesn't call Self because Tad will be the first phone call made". I kind of want to resurrect that thread and attach this article. A Jayhawk wishing he had chosen CU? How blasphemous!!! :thumbsup:

I had a heated exchange with some KU fans on Facebook on Saturday (my cousins, my BFF, all of my childhood friends are 'Hawks). My cousin was saying how classless it was for the students to rush the court, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, at the end, one of them said, "CU fans better hope OKC doesn't call Self because Tad will be the first phone call made". I kind of want to resurrect that thread and attach this article. A Jayhawk wishing he had chosen CU? How blasphemous!!! :thumbsup:
One of our biggest home wins, if not the biggest in school history with a dramatic ending, think it was rush worthy.

As good as our program is, it is only going to get better!!! Tad is building Colorado to epic levels!!!

Now I really want to CU to go deep in the tourney. Have Self bolt, Kansas reach out to Boyle only to have him turn them down.

Thank god for that ending. The one scenario that permits a rush, otherwise it's small time.
Well this wasn't Maryland beating NC State, that was an all-time low for the Terps. I think pre-Tad if CU had beaten a top-25 team depending on the circumstances, it would be rush worthy like the OU game (I believe that was nationally televised) my sophomore year. UofA was also fine last year IMO, given the circumstances. We're not CSU, we beat a local rival, we're not going to rush the court -- even if we did that in football when the games were at home. I think at this point, program changing wins only. Before the KU game, I said we shouldn't, but given the ending, I changed my attitude.

Had we hit our free throws, we would have won that game by six or more points and nobody would have thought of rushing the court.

Had we hit our free throws, we would have won that game by six or more points and nobody would have thought of rushing the court.

I think the students would have rushed the court no matter the score...that game had a lot of buildup in the week leading into it and the students were pretty hyped up for it

Good on Boyle. I've always believed that creating your own legacy would be more valuable to a coach then relying on the legacy of those that came before you.

Good on Boyle. I've always believed that creating your own legacy would be more valuable to a coach then relying on the legacy of those that came before you.

Me, too.

While their resumes are almost identical, I'd rather be Lute Olson than Roy Williams.

Me, too.

While their resumes are almost identical, I'd rather be Lute Olson than Roy Williams.
Roy Williams at UNC is better than at Lute Olsen at UofA IMO... championships matter(and he's done more in a shorter amount of time)

Roy Williams at UNC is better than at Lute Olsen at UofA IMO... championships matter(and he's done more in a shorter amount of time)

Nik's point is that Lute did it out of nothing, built a program. Roy Williams is just carrying on the legacy.

Lebron choosing 23 has always pissed me off.

I have no problem when he changed to 6. 23 is Jordan's number. I think 23 should be retired from the NBA for what Jordan did to make the sport what it is today. Maybe an argument could be made for 33 and 32 but definitely 23.

Me, too.

Apples and Oranges. Roy was an NC alum and had already delivered the highest winning percentage in KU history. I have no problem with him going back to his alma matter after that level of success over 15 seasons at KU.

Apples and Oranges. Roy was an NC alum and had already delivered the highest winning percentage in KU history. I have no problem with him going back to his alma matter after that level of success over 15 seasons at KU.

I, for one, have a big problem with coaches returning to their alma mater.

I'm giving Bohn more credit for Tad after that. I thought he might've previously just lucked into Tad and maybe he somewhat did, after all, he wasn't that far away. But it's clear he had done his homework on him. It would've been easier to hire McClain, Dunlap was seen as a good choice; who knows how either would've done here? Couldn't have asked for much more than we got from Tad this far (and hopefully in the years to come).

Weird for me as a Terps fan seeing all those Turgeon quotes. Tad at this point garners much more respect among the Buff faithful than Turge does at Maryland (although he's still high given it's only the third year and he's done some great recruiting -- will be interesting with Dalonte Hill out of the mix, how they do going forward). I never would've guessed 5 years ago, that Boyle would have more success at CU than Turgeon has had at Maryland. That said, a lot tougher act for Turgeon to follow the best coach in Maryland sports history; even if Maryland has better facilities and a better recruiting area.

I expect Turgeon to do fairly well at Maryland although this will be an NIT year. However, something sticks in my mind that he just isn't a good fit for the ACC. Going to the B1G might benefit Turg.

Guess I'm not the only CU fan who attended Terp games in DC while I was in school there. I'm optimistic about their move to the B1G but the fanbase will be slow to come around to the fact that they don't play in the ACC anymore.

And after reading about the Texas recruiting in MBB, that led to some thoughts about CU football recruiting. In the Big 8 and Big 12, we recruited California hard for football players and was unique in that conference because of that. Perhaps CU needs to get more serious about recruiting in Texas for football. I wouldn't mind seeing more Texas kids than California kids in a California based conference.

I have no problem when he changed to 6. 23 is Jordan's number. I think 23 should be retired from the NBA for what Jordan did to make the sport what it is today. Maybe an argument could be made for 33 and 32 but definitely 23.
Only number that should be universally retired in sports is 42 in baseball with Jackie Robinson. If MJ gets his number retired, you'll the arguments from other sports that their best player should be retired throughout the league. I don't like it.

Guess I'm not the only CU fan who attended Terp games in DC while I was in school there. I'm optimistic about their move to the B1G but the fanbase will be slow to come around to the fact that they don't play in the ACC anymore.
Biggest difference will be not playing Duke (and UNC), but the Terps didn't have that game guaranteed at Comcast. I don't think it will be much of a problem besides that. Playing the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin will be a draw. I'd love to go back to the pre-expansion ACC. And from a basketball perspective, I don't like this move, but I would've been much more opposed 15 years ago than now.

Only number that should be universally retired in sports is 42 in baseball with Jackie Robinson. If MJ gets his number retired, you'll the arguments from other sports that their best player should be retired throughout the league. I don't like it.

I agree, despite my post. :lol: I was thinking more of the players and teams respect that number and not choose it in the first place.

I'm not even a Jordan fan.

I agree, despite my post. :lol: I was thinking more of the players and teams respect that number and not choose it in the first place.

I'm not even a Jordan fan.
Yeah, it's the whole debate whether they should retire numbers or not -- some people want to honor their heros. Like for example, I'm an O's fan -- Buck Showalter picked #26 to honor Johnny Oates but a current player couldn't pick #8 (which they shouldn't be able to do).

Retiring numbers should definitely be a team thing....would have been hard to see another #7 for the Broncos but shouldn't be an NFL thing

If I owned a team, I would never retire a number. If the team had previously retired any numbers, I'd un-retire them.

A permanent "ring of fame" is enough.

If I owned a team, I would never retire a number. If the team had previously retired any numbers, I'd un-retire them.

A permanent "ring of fame" is enough.
Disagree players like Elway have played at such a level, I think deserve to be immortalized this way.

Back