What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall: 2012 Colorado Coaching search profile

I'm sure recruiting Mormons helps on occasion, but they probably have to find some really devout kids to go there. Then factor in how hard I'm sure it is to get non-Mormons to go there..

He signed that Jake Heaps kid a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty sure he was Mormon. Other than that he seems to snag a couple of 4*s here and there, but mostly 3* and 2* kids.

Uni? Where are you from?

Anyway, thanks for clarifying. I thought most sports fans were aware of what the typical BYU athlete is like, or us at least willing to confirm to.

The restrictions can't be too tough, it they're at least probably fairly easy to get around. Heck, Jim McMahon made it through his time at BYU. I think it was much harder for him to deal with the restrictions imposed by Pete Rozelle.
There was an outside the lines or other such docu-tv report thing a couple years ago (supplemented by some in depth magazine reporting), and the restrictions on athletes apparently waxes and wanes. What I remember most clearly about the reports though were the athletes who felt like the school/coach had not been exactly forthcoming about what the restrictions really were. There were some really bitter feelings for sure - and BYU always opposed their transferring to another school.

The other interesting thing to consider when looking at him is the fact that his average mormon recruit ends up 2 years older than other college players (presuming they go on a mission, and mormon boys are "highly encouraged" to go on a mission). Some commentators make this out to be a big deal - I think it's worth discussing, but there are certainly two sides to it. Two years of physical & psychological maturity for a 18-24 year old kid is a pretty big deal, and makes a difference. But two years out of football, with no playbooks, no practice and no weight room/pt is also a big deal.

Well sliderNcider I'm in much of the same boat as you when it comes to realistic candidates and seeing what is a good fit for Colorado. Bronco is a legit candidate from our region, while some of those other coaches are good names but have no fit to Colorado really. Diaco might be a future great coach but it doesn't seem we are looking at coordinators.

If it isn't Mendenhall or Jones, I bet it ends up either the Fresno or San Jose coaches.

I like the resume. In fact, I love the resume! He could also be a great fit with Stitt. My biggest concern is the fit. Can he lead a team of guys who drink beer and suck face with chicks?

I'm sure recruiting Mormons helps on occasion, but they probably have to find some really devout kids to go there. Then factor in how hard I'm sure it is to get non-Mormons to go there..

He signed that Jake Heaps kid a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty sure he was Mormon. Other than that he seems to snag a couple of 4*s here and there, but mostly 3* and 2* kids.
When I was a junior in high school, our tailback was the number three rusher in northern CA (I think #4/5 in the state), behind only James Kidd and Rae Caruth (both in our league). He was Mormon and ONLY wanted to go to BYU. He got invited to walk on. Didn't make the cut.

Just some comments from my cousin who lives in SLC and is a big BYU fan

I am kind of torn about the guy, he is a great defensive coach and one hell of a leader but his recruiting is kind of lackluster and some of his assistant hires are really questionable. Not to mention he has a bit too much loyalty, if they would have benched our QB this year they could have won at least a few more games. I would really like if he stepped back into some kind of organizational role and they hired a more aggressive recruiter and offensive minded coach, BYU has always been known for their passing game which hasn't been up to snuff recently. I wouldn't mind seeing the guy go honestly, it might open the door for a guy like Norm Chow to come back. Good luck if you land him, and with anyone else for that matter, but I don't know how much you are going to like the guy.

When I was a junior in high school, our tailback was the number three rusher in northern CA (I think #4/5 in the state), behind only James Kidd and Rae Caruth (both in our league). He was Mormon and ONLY wanted to go to BYU. He got invited to walk on. Didn't make the cut.

Not sure where you're going with this.

There was an outside the lines or other such docu-tv report thing a couple years ago (supplemented by some in depth magazine reporting), and the restrictions on athletes apparently waxes and wanes. What I remember most clearly about the reports though were the athletes who felt like the school/coach had not been exactly forthcoming about what the restrictions really were. There were some really bitter feelings for sure - and BYU always opposed their transferring to another school.

The other interesting thing to consider when looking at him is the fact that his average mormon recruit ends up 2 years older than other college players (presuming they go on a mission, and mormon boys are "highly encouraged" to go on a mission). Some commentators make this out to be a big deal - I think it's worth discussing, but there are certainly two sides to it. Two years of physical & psychological maturity for a 18-24 year old kid is a pretty big deal, and makes a difference. But two years out of football, with no playbooks, no practice and no weight room/pt is also a big deal.

+1

With kids training year around these days, even two years out of football is a lot to catch up on. We don't know for sure since no BYU coach has left for a BCS job in the past.

BYU lost to good teams this season and if those teams weren't overachieving, BYU would most likely be at 10 wins again this season.

He's a former Beaver who would definetly know the Pac-12 from his playing days plus I think he was on some bad Beaver teams as well so he understands the rigors of rebuilding.

DeRuyter walked into a good situation at Frenso State where a lot of starters were back from last season.

+1

With kids training year around these days, even two years out of football is a lot to catch up on. We don't know for sure since no BYU coach has left for a BCS job in the past.

BYU lost to good teams this season and if those teams weren't overachieving, BYU would most likely be at 10 wins again this season.

He's a former Beaver who would definetly know the Pac-12 from his playing days plus I think he was on some bad Beaver teams as well so he understands the rigors of rebuilding.

DeRuyter walked into a good situation at Frenso State where a lot of starters were back from last season.

We'll return a lot of starters next season as well, so I guess our next coach should be in business.

Back