What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Brooks: Buffs Hoping Post-Wyoming Layoff Pays Off

Very good article by Brooks. There's a glaring difference between how Tomlinson and Ski deal with a loss. Also, Boyle uses Krause's letter grades system for evaluating each player for each game. Anyone on here familiar with Krause?

Very good article by Brooks. There's a glaring difference between how Tomlinson and Ski deal with a loss. Also, Boyle uses Krause's letter grades system for evaluating each player for each game. Anyone on here familiar with Krause?

Not familiar at all, it took me a few mnutes of googling to figure out this wasn't the former chicago bulls gm jerry krause. I like that boyle is evaluating players using tempo free stats (rebounds per minute was mentioned). I am very interested in how this letter grading of players works, i am going to do some research and see if i can figure out how they are doing this.

I have said this before and will continue to, BG Brooks does a great job on cubuffs.com

I have done some research (this included trolling Gonzaga and Eastern Washington message boards and diving deep in the internet archives) to find anything on Jerry Krause's evaluation method that Tad is using, I actually found something and it appears to be a simplified method of a plus minus.

Here is the formula:

It is called the "individual efficiency rating"

IER =[Points scored + 2(rebounds) + 2(assists) +2(recoveries) +2(zag plays)]/[(Fields goals missed) +2(ft's missed) + (personal fouls) +2(turnovers)]

A+3.0 and above
A2.8-2.99
A-2.60-2.79
B+2.40-2.59
B+2.20-2.39
B-2.00-2.19
C+1.80-1.99
C+1.60-1.79
C-1.40-1.59
D1.00-1.39

Zag plays are defined as hustle plays, defensive charges and great offensive or defensive plays. Recoveries aren't defined, but I would imagine that is getting a steal, a loose ball or saving a ball from going out. It also states that these two methods can be left out and tailored per team. If you look at these numbers being applied in history to NBA players it is kind of scary, this article was written in 2008, but Ben Wallace has the highest career IER. Some of the other names on the list are ok, but this doesn't pass the eye test.

I ran the numbers on the Wyoming game (below) to how they match up with Win Shares and Adjusted +/-, my impression off the bat is that this isn't a great evaluation metric. Win Shares is a way better metric, it actually weights these stats, adjusts for opponents and credits marginal performance of an overall game. Adjusted +/- obviously isn't a complete metric as it only evaluates offense, but that is being worked on to include defense and I can tell you hands down that will be a better metric than the IER because it includes tempo free stats. I get why people like this, assigning letter grades to the numbers makes it easy to comprehend, but it would be just as easy to assign letter grades to Win Shares or Adjusted +/-. That being said, I will probably start including these numbers to see how these guys are grading out using Boyle's evaluation method.

Wyoming Game Grades
Spencer DinWiddieA+
Andre RobersonC+
Carlon BrownC+
Austin DufaultF
Nate TomlinsonD
Askia BookerD
Shane Harris-TunksC+
Damiene CainC+
Jeremy AdamsF
Sabatino ChenB-

Last edited:
Not familiar at all, it took me a few mnutes of googling to figure out this wasn't the former chicago bulls gm jerry krause. I like that boyle is evaluating players using tempo free stats (rebounds per minute was mentioned). I am very interested in how this letter grading of players works, i am going to do some research and see if i can figure out how they are doing this.

I have said this before and will continue to, BG Brooks does a great job on cubuffs.com

Agreed, Brooks is excellent in his coverage....and your research on Krause's system is amazing. I heard of it a few years back when I was following Matt Bouldin( from Thunder Ridge HS) who played for Gonzaga, and some of the guys on the Zag forums would talk about his crazy high grades in the Krause analysis. And you're right, for some folks, seeing letter grades is easier as opposed to a slew of numbers and figuring what the cutoffs are from poor to excellent play. Do you have it computerized, meaning just enter the data and it spits out the grades/numbers? I'd be interested seeing each game and then a current running total.... as if you ain't busy enough, lol.....

I got him. Amazing stuff.

We should figure out a way to get jgisland a meeting with CU coaches.

that's a great idea.....if you can get it to Boyle, he would eat this stuff up...I remember he used to have one of his assistants at UNC keep track of deflections that led to steals, the logic being that many times the player awarded the steal stat did not originally generate it. Also if not Boyle, Coach P would be the man to approach as he is a degreed Physicist! Let us know how it goes....

ymssr. REP THIS MAN.

And The Mayor is gonna be our MVP this year :nod:. ​If only because he will be taking Tomlinson's minutes...

Agreed, Brooks is excellent in his coverage....and your research on Krause's system is amazing. I heard of it a few years back when I was following Matt Bouldin( from Thunder Ridge HS) who played for Gonzaga, and some of the guys on the Zag forums would talk about his crazy high grades in the Krause analysis. And you're right, for some folks, seeing letter grades is easier as opposed to a slew of numbers and figuring what the cutoffs are from poor to excellent play. Do you have it computerized, meaning just enter the data and it spits out the grades/numbers? I'd be interested seeing each game and then a current running total.... as if you ain't busy enough, lol.....

Yeah I am going to run the numbers for the earlier games this season today, this isn't too bad to do, I setup excel to spit out the grades once I import the box scores. The people over on the Gonzaga forum don't seem to love this evaluation method, saying how Adam Morrison and John Stockton didn't fare very well using this method.

Yeah I am going to run the numbers for the earlier games this season today, this isn't too bad to do, I setup excel to spit out the grades once I import the box scores. The people over on the Gonzaga forum don't seem to love this evaluation method, saying how Adam Morrison and John Stockton didn't fare very well using this method.
Well, it doesn't give you points for running the offense. Plus, I've never understood how Basketball defines an "assist" cause sometimes it won't count pretty obvious assists.

Only one player DESERVED a B or better for Wyoming. Spencer was the man.

I am going to add these into that Win Shares/Adjusted +/- Sticky Thread and update through out the season, but here it is as well season to date.

PlayerFt.LewisWichita St.MarylandW. MichiganAir ForceGeorgiaCSUFresno StWyoming
Nate TomlinsonA-DC+A+A+FBA+D
Andre RobersonA+CA+CA+A+DA+C+
Spencer DinWiddieC+A+FA+DA+B-B-A+
Austin DufaultA+A+A+A+B-FBCF
Carlon BrownDB+CAB-B-DDC+
Askia BookerC+A+B-C+CA+DFD
Jeremy AdamsDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPFC+BF
Shane Harris-TunksFDBC+DDC+B+C+
Sabatino ChenBA+B+DFB-FFB-
Damiene CainDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPCC+
Shannon SharpeDFFFFDNPDNPA+DNP
Ben MillsDDNPDNPFDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP
Beau WebbDNPFDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP
Trey EckloffA+DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Damn has Dufault ever tanked since the start of the season. We need to get this in graph form...

Eckloff for team MVP.

He grades out amazingly in IER, Win Shares and Adjust +/-, put him on the court!

In all seriousness though, why didn't Mills redshirt? I know in football you can play some amount of time early in the season and still red shirt. Does anybody know if there is anything like that for basketball?

My suspicion on Mills is that we wanted to leave his redshirt year available to him if he transfers and make sure that he only takes up his scholarship for 4 years if he doesn't.

Great kid and has some skill, but it looks like a Big 6 conference is above his level and we are recruiting at a level that makes the odds good that we can bring in a freshman who would be able to contribute more.

I'm spitballin' here, so if this is inaccurate or unfair to Mills then I apologize.

seriously, I <3 you. semihomo. I'm thinking the best chart for something like this is a line graph.

That might work for the win/share % as well.

I have been messing around with a bunch of charts/graphs, the problem with the line graph it gets unreadable with so many players and games. The bar chart posted above is the only "semi-readable" chart I can find with all on one chart. If I break it down on an individual basis it is much easier to read.

Dufault as the example here

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
design_graphs_sample4.png

Something like the bottom right may work for win %....

for sure. I wonder if it is possible to break it down by game (might have to trim the player list?)

yeah i can break Win Shares up by game and chart it. if boyle just played 6 guys it would be a little easier to chart this stuff! I may need to break these up into separate threads (win shares, adjust +/- and IER) I have got a couple of message too long errors and had to scrape some of the scrubs off the 07 season to get the updates to fit.

yeah i can break Win Shares up by game and chart it. if boyle just played 6 guys it would be a little easier to chart this stuff! I may need to break these up into separate threads (win shares, adjust +/- and IER) I have got a couple of message too long errors and had to scrape some of the scrubs off the 07 season to get the updates to fit.
Screw Boyle and his 10 man rotation!

Back