What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Brooks: Marolt Returns, Takes Looks Back And Ahead

So much great stuff in that article that I didn't know what to quote. The glory days of CU football with him as AD, the glory days of CU skiing with him winning 7 national titles in 10 years, the way he built US Olympic skiing into the world power, and what he sees going on today at CU. Plus some insightful stuff on leadership and organizations.

Excited that Marolt will be back in Boulder for the summer months and football season (snow birding in Scottsdale). One of the all-time greats.

I guess if there is one thing I want to quote, it's what he said when discussing the culture at US Skiing when he showed up. It's a great lesson and is especially meaningful in context of all the years we have heard hearing CU administrators (before Rick George showed up) talking about everything as a goal of the AD organization... everything except for winning.

In a February interview with Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal before his final Olympics, Marolt said “a foundation existed” when he arrived at the USSA, “but we weren’t sure who we were . . . we weren’t sure if we were a fundraising org or an event org. Really, what we are is an athletic org. We’re an org about winning. But we have to do all of those things well . . .”

I think the only thing that worries us is the fact that the 'supportive admin' that we supposedly have now, is the same admin that let us drop like a rock in every way possible in football. Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks, or maybe Benson made the mistake of trusting Phil to do a job Phil was not qualified to do. I hope they have seen the light that football is king and revenue, quality of applicants, amount of donations, national perception of CU and brand recognition all hinge on having a football program that is in the Top 25 more often than it is not.

I hope that Bill M. can get some time around BB and PD and emphasize that to them.

Back