What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bruce Pearl fired at Tennessee

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Bruce Pearl has been fired as head coach of Tennessee Volunteers men’s basketball, according to a Monday afternoon report by WNML-FM’s Jimmy Hyams, which was shortly afterward confirmed by CBS’ Gary Parrish and Fox Sports’ Jeff Goodman. Pearl was expected to meet with athletic director Mike Hamilton earlier in the day, at which point his future with the program would be settled upon.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/3/21/2063902/bruce-pearl-fired-tennessee-basketball-coach

V is for vacancy.

bruce-pearl-paint.jpg%3Fw%3D222%26h%3D280

Like him or not, he's created a winner at Tennessee where they sucked before. They were pulling in bigger crowds for their women's basketball team then their mens team. Pat Summit had a lot to do with that, but still, that's pathetic. The guy won a lot of games at a school that historically doesn't care about men's basketball.

Not terribly shocking considering how their AD pretty much threw him under the bus and then ran over him right before they got wiped by Michigan...

I think they're going to make a run at Shaka Smart from VCU once they finally get bounced from the tourney...

Like him or not, he's created a winner at Tennessee where they sucked before. They were pulling in bigger crowds for their women's basketball team then their mens team. Pat Summit had a lot to do with that, but still, that's pathetic. The guy won a lot of games at a school that historically doesn't care about men's basketball.

He's also a schmuck.

Although not a prerequisite, I suspect being a schmuck is a helpful trait to have in coaching. Most of the successful ones are. Tressel, Brown, Stoops, Saban, Carroll, etc. All schmucks.

Perhaps. Not many coaches out there lie directly to the NCAA, nor do many coaches tape conversations with high school recruits to try to get conference rivals in trouble.

Jerry Green had some good UT teams....they didn't always suck.

interesting coaching carousel in the mid-south with Arkie, UT, and OU.

Perhaps. Not many coaches out there lie directly to the NCAA...

Well, Tressel did. Neuhisel did. Carroll did. Kelvin Sampson did - twice. I'm not making excuses or saying it's right, just pointing out that whatever he did, it worked. Tennessee had no basketball tradition whatsoever.

Tennessee had no basketball tradition whatsoever.

not really true. like i said, Jerry Green had some good teams. won 20 games 4 straight years, 4 NCAA's....one Sweet 16. "none whatsoever" is not factually correct. wiki says they've been to 18 NCAA's, 7 of those before the 64 team field. not counting Pearl's recent success, UT has 12 NCAA's since 1976 with 3 Sweet 16's.

UT is a football school, but they've decent with some pretty high watermarks of success. not like Bill Snyder at KSU or something. nothing personal, that just didn't sound right to me so i looked it up.

Fair enough. I can't ever recall Tennessee being any good at basketball, so I didn't bother to look into their history too closely.

So does Pearl land on his feet at NC State? Or, barring that plus a Mike Anderson snub, Arkansas?

no way pearl goes to Arky. To high profile a program to reach into the cesspool that is Pearl.

I don't think Pearl will get hired for next season, because it's too soon after the scandal.

I like Pearl - he's sort of a bumbling idiot in my opinion, but the guy can coach. I don't think he's malicious or conniving - he just makes dumb decisions and doesn't necessarily have a whole lot of regard for the NCAA (which I sort of understand). Calipari on the under hand I consider to be malicious and conniving, and I love how him and Cal hate each other.

Hopefully Bruce Pearl learns from his mistakes, and in his next gig, he does it right.

Tressel must be crapping himself.

Maybe, but just for comparison......

Tressel's plebes committed infractions that he knew about and didn't report, and then lied about (he's also guilty of a lame excuse, but I'm not sure that's punishable).

Pearl committed infractions, didn't report them, and then lied about them.

BP seems to be the bigger offender of the two, imo.

So does Pearl land on his feet at NC State? Or, barring that plus a Mike Anderson snub, Arkansas?

On the radio today they are saying that NC State should take a serious look at Pearl, but I agree with dymeduke that it's too soon after that mess for any major program to hire him.

Back