What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BSN: Colorado athletic director Rick George: ‘Mike MacIntyre is going to be our coach next...

So, MM's future has got to hinge on the CSU game next year, right? I don't see any way he can recover from a loss there.

So, MM's future has got to hinge on the CSU game next year, right? I don't see any way he can recover from a loss there.
I believe it hinges on one thing, making a bowl game. CSU is a big hurdle in getting there. If we can't beat them, I don't see it. If we can't make a bowl game and go 6-6 to get there, Rick George or the next AD will have to say you had four years and didn't do what you needed. Problem is, next year is a monumental recruiting class. It is either the turning point of the program to get to Top 25 relevancy every year or it's another coaching transition class with wasted schollies on below Pac 12 level guys. We need to do what we have done more of this year and get Power 5 level kids.

I have heard the regents approved to extend his contract to 5 years again about a month ago. I don't see MacIntyre going anywhere unless all 3 remaining games end up like Stanford.

As someone said, MacIntyre will make his bed by deciding who to retain and whom not to. He is going to have to purge more of his buddies. Only guys from original staff I like are Adams and Clark. Neinas and Lindgren should go. Bernardi and Jeffcoat haven't shown much to warrant keeping around.

Just because WE love Boulder doesn't mean everyone does, and besides, making millions, living on the best side of town in your upscale mansion, makes any shjthole america look nice.

It is either the turning point of the program to get to Top 25 relevancy every year or it's another coaching transition class with wasted schollies on below Pac 12 level guys. We need to do what we have done more of this year and get Power 5 level kids.
True. I hope, if Mac were canned, the AD would pick a high-profile guy to mitigate the potential loss of recruits. Some guys pick a school based on coaches, which is kinda dumb cuz things change so much, other guys pick the program. Here's hoping most of our kids do the latter.

I have heard the regents approved to extend his contract to 5 years again about a month ago. I don't see MacIntyre going anywhere unless all 3 remaining games end up like Stanford.

As someone said, MacIntyre will make his bed by deciding who to retain and whom not to. He is going to have to purge more of his buddies. Only guys from original staff I like are Adams and Clark. Neinas and Lindgren should go. Bernardi and Jeffcoat haven't shown much to warrant keeping around.
He needs to get kickass recruiters in here IMO...I'd pick a killer recruiter over a killer position coach any day of the week and Saturdays twice.

That would mean a 2-year extension which is extremely unlikely.

Um, Im pretty sure RG is not the only AD worth a **** out there.
This. Would I rather RG stay? Yes. Am I that worried if he leaves? No, since I am confident there is other talent out there.

Where I am worried is if our leaders can actually identify and hire such talent.

We still have the same administration in place that extended Hawkins and hired Embo and EB on the cheap.
on message boards, the doom abides.

we'll be fine. this isn't the days of sensible shoes bitsy, her lap dog bynny, and the invisible tharp.

I dont know what your saying here Liverhead. That group hired Gary Barnett. last I checked Barnett > all else*

You know who that asterisk is for....

This. Would I rather RG stay? Yes. Am I that worried if he leaves? No, since I am confident there is other talent out there.

Where I am worried is if our leaders can actually identify and hire such talent.

I would much rather keep the guy we have than risk letting the admin go out and hire someone. They lucked into RG, they didn't even do a search they just knew about him and went with him. Worked out well but there is no reason to trust them to do anything.

RG has never made a coaching hire. It would be awful clever of him to leave, perhaps for more money or some other percieved perk, for Illinois with no hires on his resume.

Do you really think that RG is afraid of making a coaching hire or having one on his resume? These guys all have egos and whether he has done it before or not, I am sure he has hired and fired a lot of people during his career. While hiring coaches is a part of his job, it is only one piece. The work he has done in fundraising and getting the AD on solid ground is what will make him attractive.

I know it is only my opinion, but I would guess he is pretty confident in his ability to set up a process that will get a coach, a successful coach. While the guy is not perfect, he has been pretty damn successful in the areas that have been critical to CU. If he decides to fire MM, CU is in a lot better spot to attract higher level coaching prospects than 3 years ago. It comes from the commitment Benson has made and the program RG has put in place with that support.

I dont know what your saying here Liverhead. That group hired Gary Barnett. last I checked Barnett > all else*

You know who that asterisk is for....
Bitsy was not the President when GB was hired, nor was Dr. Phil the Chancellor.

His contract is automatically rolled over after each season, with the regents approval. Tad boyle has the same arrangement.

RG only extended Mac after the first year, not after last year. He only has 3 years left after this year.

CU is not nearly as disadvantaged as Duke when it comes to recruiting football players. Same for Northwestern. Stanford. If CU was an elite, private university then the "Duke model" might make a lick of sense. CU should be looking at top quartile public schools as their model.

Cracks me up, this frequent lumping of CU in with elite academic schools like Stanford, Cal, Duke, Northwestern, etc.

The only thing RG hasn't done is hire a coach. He raised money at an unprecedented rate, he upped the schedule, he stopped giving away tickets and devaluing the brand and he put the AD in the black despite having a poor football program. You don't think that is enough for other schools to want him?
IIRC, in the < 3 seasons that I've been following the Buffs, there's been three football games where tickets were given away to season ticket holders.

IIRC, in the < 3 seasons that I've been following the Buffs, there's been three football games where tickets were given away to season ticket holders.
I think that was in reference to the AD stopping doing the 4 for $40 type deals they used to do, which undercut the prices that were paid by season ticket holders. The giveaways to season ticket holders aren't going to the general public, so at least the season ticket holders can decide how to use the freebies.

The thing that really irks me is that Baylor is never included in that group.
curious why? do you believe Baylor's academics are at the same level as those schools? that's certainly never been my perception.

Yeah but those are given to season ticket holders, not to random people which pisses off season tickets holders. If anything it makes being a season ticket holder more valuable.

my bad. I suck at picking up sarcasm in print, unless there's an explicit sarcasm font or <sarcasm> tags. I guess I depend an abnormal amount on the vocal tone, facial expressions and other body language to convey sarcasm.
Hey, it's not easy to pick up on sarcasm online at times. Just knowing that nothing good would be said about Baylor on this site would help with the example above.

Back