What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buff Bus for sale - Absolutely Unique opportunity (from Rivals)

thanks for the kinds words C-ville. After careful reading of your post, I don't think we're in disagreement on too many points.

- Beamer did an amazing job taking VT football from irrelevance to conference championship status. Without notable NCAA issues -- this point in particular I really respect him for as it allows me to continue being proud of my VT connection, despite recent miserable basketball performance and mediocre football performance.
- You're correct. Beamer has reached "coach legend" status and his name is associated with VT football. Maybe not as strong a link as Paterno and PSU, but in the same circle. Public perception links the two together.
- VT fans were spoiled by Mike Vick and have unrealistic expectations of their program. Talk to most Hokies and you'll find we're convinced we deserve Nick Saban as our next coach, invitations to join both the SEC and B1G (should we decide we're tired of the ACC) and every highly ranked recruit east of the Mississippi or south of the Mason-Dixen line. Vick was fun to watch.

I don't think Beamer should be hurridly pushed out of the door. I think a sucession plan needs to be well thought out, then vetted with the current coaching staff and key boosters. Agree with your comments that we shouldn't be hasty and trade a known "good" coach for an unknown (if the Seth Greenberg situation in basketball tought us anything). Could we do worse than Beamer? Certainly, but that doesn't mean he's worth one of the top 10 salaries in college football. I said the sucession plan needs to be assembled carefully: Beamer isn't showing the public signs of senility like Bowden did -- if he gets pushed out the door, fans and boosters will revolt.

I do believe that Brian Stinespring and Frank Beamer saw something special in Michael Vick during recruiting. Vick was the only player that Beamer promised a red-shirt (allegedly to MV, his mother and HS coach). Beamer later said he regretted making that promise and would never do it again. Man, he was fun to watch.

Again, I don't claim expertise in football (or body-language reading), but in following VT football closely over the last several years, I don't believe that current or recent players really respect Beamer. Tyrod Taylor was probably the most notable player that did the least to hide his disregard of the coach - if you watched Taylor's reaction on the side line when Beamer was talking to him, it was facial expressions suggesting "old man, I'm not sure who you are or why you think I should listen to you". I had one friend who played under Beamer at VT for 2 years in the early 1990's and confimred that the assistants were the ones who had all the interactions with players during practices. I believe that from a player development perspective, he's been delegating almost all of that responsibliltiy for quite a while. I rarely hear ex-VT players thank and give credit to Beamer when they reach NFL success. All this is anecdotal evidence and I'll be the first to dismiss such in favor of hard data, so feel free to offer contradict me.

I'm sick of hearing how UVA is out-recruiting us in football. There is no reason why Mike London should be able to win any recruit over Frank Beamer (other than the line, "at UVA, you'll play as a freshman").

Most football fans certainly won't dispute that VT's special teams have been horrible in recent years. Beamer still holds responsibility as Special Teams coach and would have a hard time denying culpability in that area.

I think that most football fans agree that a 43% bowl win record is unimpressive. I'm very familiar with the attitude that "bowl games don't count, they're just glorified scrimmages". If that's the case, why the f*** do they charge so much for the tickets and have universities put such a large push of the fan base to travel?

Single bad game performances shouldn't be given too much weight, but most VT fans are still upset over 9/11. It will take a long time to forget losing a home game to a FCS school and Michigan fans are terrible company in misery.

Yes, I'm probably a typical VT fan with unrealistic expectations. But, I don't expect the Hokies to win any BCS titles (or whatever we're calling them going forward) in my time. I'll take conference championships and the NCAA compliance and the ACC, B1G or Pac-12 academic standards over the SEC/Big12 model of:
sacrifice academic and institutional integrity -> compete for BCS championship -> get caught -> go on probation, lose scholarships -> regain scholarship limit -> repeat
Are you hearing me North Carolina and Miami?!?!?!

I would be quite pleased if Beamer's replacement is a coach who can keep us out of NCAA trouble and get us back to winning ACC championships. I'm not asking for BCS championships, I just want my team to win against schools with comparable academic standards, athletic budgets and recruiting territories (not asking too much, is it?).

Discussion summary:
- Beamer is a legend in the public mindset.
- Beamer has been a good coach over his tenure at VT. I don't believe he's been one of the top coaches in the game during the last decade.
- VT football fans are spoiled (as basketball fans, we deserve sympathy).
- the AB community has an abnormally high tolerance for thread hijacks.

I am curious about one point, if anyone is still reading. When you hear "Virginia Tech", what's the first thing to come to mind?
a) football/Frank Beamer
b) football/Mike Vick
c) the massacre
d) our amazing engineering school!
e) that annoying jerk who keeps posting on the AllBuffs forums
f) other

205 days until the start of college football.

thanks for the kinds words C-ville. After careful reading of your post, I don't think we're in disagreement on too many points.

- Beamer did an amazing job taking VT football from irrelevance to conference championship status. Without notable NCAA issues -- this point in particular I really respect him for as it allows me to continue being proud of my VT connection, despite recent miserable basketball performance and mediocre football performance.
- You're correct. Beamer has reached "coach legend" status and his name is associated with VT football. Maybe not as strong a link as Paterno and PSU, but in the same circle. Public perception links the two together.
- VT fans were spoiled by Mike Vick and have unrealistic expectations of their program. Talk to most Hokies and you'll find we're convinced we deserve Nick Saban as our next coach, invitations to join both the SEC and B1G (should we decide we're tired of the ACC) and every highly ranked recruit east of the Mississippi or south of the Mason-Dixen line. Vick was fun to watch.

I don't think Beamer should be hurridly pushed out of the door. I think a sucession plan needs to be well thought out, then vetted with the current coaching staff and key boosters. Agree with your comments that we shouldn't be hasty and trade a known "good" coach for an unknown (if the Seth Greenberg situation in basketball tought us anything). Could we do worse than Beamer? Certainly, but that doesn't mean he's worth one of the top 10 salaries in college football. I said the sucession plan needs to be assembled carefully: Beamer isn't showing the public signs of senility like Bowden did -- if he gets pushed out the door, fans and boosters will revolt.

I do believe that Brian Stinespring and Frank Beamer saw something special in Michael Vick during recruiting. Vick was the only player that Beamer promised a red-shirt (allegedly to MV, his mother and HS coach). Beamer later said he regretted making that promise and would never do it again. Man, he was fun to watch.

Again, I don't claim expertise in football (or body-language reading), but in following VT football closely over the last several years, I don't believe that current or recent players really respect Beamer. Tyrod Taylor was probably the most notable player that did the least to hide his disregard of the coach - if you watched Taylor's reaction on the side line when Beamer was talking to him, it was facial expressions suggesting "old man, I'm not sure who you are or why you think I should listen to you". I had one friend who played under Beamer at VT for 2 years in the early 1990's and confimred that the assistants were the ones who had all the interactions with players during practices. I believe that from a player development perspective, he's been delegating almost all of that responsibliltiy for quite a while. I rarely hear ex-VT players thank and give credit to Beamer when they reach NFL success. All this is anecdotal evidence and I'll be the first to dismiss such in favor of hard data, so feel free to offer contradict me.

I'm sick of hearing how UVA is out-recruiting us in football. There is no reason why Mike London should be able to win any recruit over Frank Beamer (other than the line, "at UVA, you'll play as a freshman").

Most football fans certainly won't dispute that VT's special teams have been horrible in recent years. Beamer still holds responsibility as Special Teams coach and would have a hard time denying culpability in that area.

I think that most football fans agree that a 43% bowl win record is unimpressive. I'm very familiar with the attitude that "bowl games don't count, they're just glorified scrimmages". If that's the case, why the f*** do they charge so much for the tickets and have universities put such a large push of the fan base to travel?

Single bad game performances shouldn't be given too much weight, but most VT fans are still upset over 9/11. It will take a long time to forget losing a home game to a FCS school and Michigan fans are terrible company in misery.

Yes, I'm probably a typical VT fan with unrealistic expectations. But, I don't expect the Hokies to win any BCS titles (or whatever we're calling them going forward) in my time. I'll take conference championships and the NCAA compliance and the ACC, B1G or Pac-12 academic standards over the SEC/Big12 model of:
sacrifice academic and institutional integrity -> compete for BCS championship -> get caught -> go on probation, lose scholarships -> regain scholarship limit -> repeat
Are you hearing me North Carolina and Miami?!?!?!

I would be quite pleased if Beamer's replacement is a coach who can keep us out of NCAA trouble and get us back to winning ACC championships. I'm not asking for BCS championships, I just want my team to win against schools with comparable academic standards, athletic budgets and recruiting territories (not asking too much, is it?).

Discussion summary:
- Beamer is a legend in the public mindset.
- Beamer has been a good coach over his tenure at VT. I don't believe he's been one of the top coaches in the game during the last decade.
- VT football fans are spoiled (as basketball fans, we deserve sympathy).
- the AB community has an abnormally high tolerance for thread hijacks.

I am curious about one point, if anyone is still reading. When you hear "Virginia Tech", what's the first thing to come to mind?
a) football/Frank Beamer
b) football/Mike Vick
c) the massacre
f) other

I do think Beamer has been a victim of his own success in recent years. If anyone deserves to leave on their own terms, which is happening less and less -- it's him. But Bobby Bowden who largely built FSU didn't get to do that (and by no means am I a Bobby Bowden, I think his whole act is phony) -- and he won two national championships. I've always had a lot of respect for Beamer and from afar, he seems like a good guy, who has done things the right way.

Not surprising many think they deserve Nick Saban, hardly any fanbases are satisfied with what they have. I recall with Seth Greenberg, the AD wasn't happy about assistant coaches leaving for other places that he didn't consider a step up -- but all-in-all I thought he did a good job there, I like him at ESPN.

I think you are making too much of the bowl record, particularly when it's the lower bowl games. Those are glorified exhibitions besides the title game. It's amazing to me how much attention they get, but there isn't much else going on between Christmas and New Years other than the NBA on Christmas.

First thing that comes to mind when I hear VT, has to be.................. E! Kidding of course, I'd go with A then B then C. I'm guessing the younger crowd, who didn't grow up as close to VT (I'm from across the river in MD), probably thinks of the massacre moreso.

a) football/Frank Beamer
b) football/Mike Vick
c) the massacre
f) other

F1) WTF is a Hokie? Weird mascot.
F2) Spoiled Meat & Tang... Weird color combo. If I could find mind bleach, I'd apply it to my memory of those uniforms used against Boise State.
F3) Lynchburg has it's own lemonade. I wonder if Blacksburg has a namesake drink, and if it might include moonshine or tobacco flavored 4Loco.
C) damn shooter
B) Vick elevated the whole FB program.
D) The Georgia Tech of Virginia

The Buff Bus deserves better.

I do not have either Hokie or C'ville's passwords

I just changed it to "Rams#1_and_GoBigRed". If you can bring yourself to type it in, have at my account.

D) The Georgia Tech of Virginia

Nicely played. Academically, "the MIT of the South" is listed higher in every ranking I've ever seen than VT. And they have a coveted AAU membership (I admit that's one of the reason's I wanted my daughter to attend CU). Athletically, I kinda feel sorry for the Yellow Jackets. They have a rich history in football and basketball, an alumni base that mostly doesn't care about sports and no ability to compete with UGA and the SEC for non-alumni fans. Never mind being smack in the middle of Atlanta with all those pro-sports teams.

The Buff Bus deserves better.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy who bought it -- I'm sure he was hoping that instead of continued congrats over his purchase, that some idiots would start talking ACC football on this thread.

Back