What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buff Represents in the Super Bowl

I was pulling for the 49ers, would've been good for the alma mater for JIM Harbaugh to win, but I'm glad they didn't throw the flag on that. It could've been a flag either way, I'm glad no call was the choice. I thought the play selection was terrible, that fade works about 5% of the time.

To me the biggest no call was Cary Williams shoving an official and not getting ejected, let alone flagged. Not sure it would have affected the outcome, but how does that get missed? You would think the official getting shoved would throw a flag.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Ray Lewis threatened to murder anyone who made a call against the Ravens.

I was pulling for the 49ers, would've been good for the alma mater for JIM Harbaugh to win, but I'm glad they didn't throw the flag on that. It could've been a flag either way, I'm glad no call was the choice. I thought the play selection was terrible, that fade works about 5% of the time.
All four plays were odd. Where did the read option go?

please point out exactly where the tape shows I was wrong. :smile2:

Also, I haven't even gotten into the other stuff. Refs were pussies that refused to call the game both ways - they killed the niners with offsides calls early on key third downs, but on the big plays later in the game refused to call an obvious one on the Ravens.

The "let them play" wish is one I generally follow. But just like in basketball, consistency is what you have to have from a reffing crew. That, and the balls to make the obvious calls when they are there, even on key plays. This crew had neither.

I think you mean the Niners killed themselves with offside calls on key third downs.

Thanks everyone for completely ignoring this. Found a pic of it. Smith almost knocked Crabtree's helmet off. This was the bigger no-call.

super-bowl-football-28-630x415.jpg

I'm not sure that's a penalty, other than a hit on a quarterback (roughing the passer) or on a defenseless receiver (which Crabtree definitely wasn't by that point).

I actually thought that play could have been called a catch and fumble, but since the ball ended up rolling out of bounds around the 5, it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

I think you mean the Niners killed themselves with offside calls on key third downs.

Having to burn a timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty with the clock stopped on the final drive was a killer too, they sure could have used that to stop the clock again on Baltimore's final series.

Lots of forty whiner fans out today.

Hmmmm. I would have preferred for the West Coast team to win, but I didn't really have a dog in this fight. I've said that the Niners got lucky on the late hit on Flacco, which should have been flagged.

I don't think I'm whining if I note from an outside opinion that two calls changed the outcome of the game drastically. One was the early start on the 2 point conversion attempt. I don't think anybody will deny that was a missed call.

The other was the no-call on Jimmy Smith. It's became apparent that it is genuinely controversial in a way that extends beyond parochialism, but to my eyes it could only be a hold.

It's not whining, but more of an observation.

And yes, the Niners were their own worst enemy. I think they became more worried about the clock and thought that 7 points would be automatic.

And yes, the Niners were their own worst enemy. I think they became more worried about the clock and thought that 7 points would be automatic.

I was guilty of thinking that way too, especially the way they were playing in the 2nd half. I was actually worried we were going to score too soon and give the Ravens the ball back with too much time left on the clock....then oops.

I'm not sure that's a penalty, other than a hit on a quarterback (roughing the passer) or on a defenseless receiver (which Crabtree definitely wasn't by that point).

I actually thought that play could have been called a catch and fumble, but since the ball ended up rolling out of bounds around the 5, it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

Totally disagree

helmetgraham.gif

I can end this conversation quickly with the truth...

First, the "holding" in the endzone...

Holding:
th

Not Holding:
400_F_6704621_ab0PTQ99CuUsTmDeIRipiI9JEMgh4xHV.jpg

Now the hit...

Personal Foul:
111216092908_football-penalty-flag-640.jpg

Not a personal foul:
stock-photo-hash-marks-on-an-american-football-field-82020862.jpg

Good job Jimmy! :smile2:

Could it have been called? Absolutely.
Should it have been called? I don't think so.

The refs had clearly established that they were letting the players play in this game. Both teams got away with a lot of contact during, and even after plays. I agree with Luke - let the players play. In an end of game situation, an official should only make a call if it is EGREGIOUS. I'm sure the Niner fans think it was. I had no dog in this fight, and think it was a good no call.

The Niners had 4 cracks from the 5 yard line, and the play calling was highly suspect. The 4th down play was little more than a prayer to get bailed out by the refs. It would have been completely inconsistent with the way the game had been called to throw a flag there.

Totally forgot - jimmy also knocked down what would have been a certain SF touchdown in the second qtr.

Back