What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Defeat No. 17 UCLA 3-1 On The Road

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
MALIBU, Calif. — The University of Colorado volleyball team came back to defeat No. 17 UCLA 3-1 (23-25, 26-24, 25-12, 25-17) to win their first Pac-12 road match of the season after losing a close first set on Sunday afternoon at Firestone Fieldhouse.

“What a great team effort today,” coach Liz Kritza said. “And coming away with another win against a ranked opponent is another step forward for this program."

This is the second win against a ranked opponent this season for the Buffs sweeping then-No. 14 Arizona on Oct. 5 in Boulder. It is the second straight win for CU against the Bruins as the Buffs defeated UCLA 3-2 in the only last meeting of 2013 in Boulder.

CU is now 11-7 overall and improved to 3-3 in Pac-12 competition, while UCLA is currently 12-5 (3-3 Pac-12).

Read more...

Just for the heck of it, I went into the Buff's official volleyball "Information Guide" and, assuming I didn't miss something, this may have been the 1st time the Buffs defeated a ranked team on the road since they beat Missouri (ranked #8 at the time) way back on 10/29/2005.

Again, Awesome job Buffs against the Bruins; keep it up!!!

Last edited:
Technically I would have to call this a neutral site game. UCLA cannot play their "home" games at home at this time since Pauley Pavilion was flooded and is not yet ready for use. This match was played at Pepperdine University. Still a great win for the Buffs and a win in a match played away from Boulder and over a ranked team. Contributions from many players. The one I like the most is the hitting numbers for Gabby Simpson. She had 10 kills and only 1 error on 18 total swings. In previous matches here in Boulder she was committing too many errors. The rest of the freshman class also had a good day.... 3 serving aces from Stephanie Shadley, and 10 block assists, 3 kills and 2 aces from Anna Pfefferle. All around great team play today! Go Buffs!

Technically I would have to call this a neutral site game. UCLA cannot play their "home" games at home at this time since Pauley Pavilion was flooded and is not yet ready for use. This match was played at Pepperdine University. Still a great win for the Buffs and a win in a match played away from Boulder and over a ranked team. Contributions from many players. The one I like the most is the hitting numbers for Gabby Simpson. She had 10 kills and only 1 error on 18 total swings. In previous matches here in Boulder she was committing too many errors. The rest of the freshman class also had a good day.... 3 serving aces from Stephanie Shadley, and 10 block assists, 3 kills and 2 aces from Anna Pfefferle. All around great team play today! Go Buffs!

I believe "technically" it will probably show as a home game for UCLA (and road game for CU) in the historic records, but do concede that in reality it couldn't have hurt the Buffs that the match wasn't actually at the UCLA campus. (It looks like it will be even more interesting for UCLA this weekend as, per their schedule, its home matches against the Oregon schools are scheduled to be played at some Crossroads School (I assume a high school?) in Santa Monica. Hopefully they'll be getting their regular volleyball "home" back soon.)

I'm definitely with you regarding being excited for Gabby Simpson's stats. (I can't say what she looked like today, as this was the 1st Pac 12 CU match I didn't get to watch myself.) She physically looks like she has all the tools to at some point be a very good to great hitter, it's just a question of when the "light turns on" (once she gets more experience). Again, the fact that (I probably mentioned it before) in addition to facing what all freshmen face in having to play against MUCH higher competition in college/ the Pac 12, she has to pretty much learn a new skill (learning to be a hitter for 3 rotations off someone ELSE's sets), any tough hitting matches she's had are definitely understandable. (And, it has been admirable to me that any hitting issues she's had during matches haven't seemed to obviously effect her setting and defense.)

Also, I liked seeing Katelyn Cuff having a big offensive game (8 kills- hit .438) (in addition to Anna Pfefferle as you mentioned), as it seemed the offense had somewhat lost the middle blockers the last couple matches, with only 7 kills total by the middles against AZ and 5 against USC. (Although as I write this, I can't claim to know volleyball enough as to the whether these numbers are actually problems to the coaching staff, or if it was part of a game plan.) But, anyway, from the eye test, I do think the middles aren't consistently getting quite as clean hits as our starters last year. Of course, this is VERY understandable as we've replaced (pending Kelsey English getting healthy) a senior and junior with a freshman and sophomore who didn't get much playing time as a freshman. On the bright side, this means the middles, in my opinion, have the most potential (along with the aforementioned G. Simpson) to give the Buffs relatively quick and significant offensive (and blocking) improvement as the year goes on. And actually, the blocking aspect of the middles performance (some times their main responsibility) of the young Buffs has been better than I could have hoped this early in their careers.

Anyway, Go Buffs!

I watched the UCLA and the commentator said the games this coming weekend are being played at a high school and only radio coverage because of it.

Yes, we beat #1 Washington at home last season in one of their Friday night upsets!

Am I correct that CU played the 6-2 offense yesterday? See I am not an expert at volleyball either. I've learned a lot from this forum and listening to commentators. When I actually attended the games, I didn't learn all this. :huh: I went and watched the match.

I can see that the athletes on this team are so much better than the last team I saw in person, which was the 2008 season. I'm not sure any of those players could make this team--which is the reason all except for one left one their coach got fired.

Yes that was a 6-2 that CU played. They have played 6-2 most matches this season. When you use 2 setters and have the setter always in the back row so there are always 3 hitters (2 pin hitters and a middle) in the front row, that's a 6-2. It can be done either by subbing in a pin hitter for the setter when she rotates to the front row (like they are doing with Edelman / Ortiz Ruiz) or by the player changing her role from setter to pin hitter when she rotates to the front row (like the are doing with Gabby Simpson).

As for the "radio coverage only" for games this coming weekend, that is referring to the next UCLA home games. Buffs are playing their home games in Coors, as usual, and their schedule lists both the Stanford and the Cal match as on PAC 12 TV. I'm sure you know that, BuffGal, but I wanted to make sure it's clear to anyone else reading this thread.

Back