What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs defeat Seattle despite sloppy play

Is Tad right? Is this Buffaloes team overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Nah, tad, you trippin brah

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
The Colorado Buffaloes men's basketball team played host for the first round of regional play for the annual Legends Classics. The Buffs defeated the Seattle University Redhawks, 67-55.

It was an ugly game for both teams in numerous departments. Collectively, the two teams shot just 31 percent from the floor, with the Buffs managing a slight edge, converting 35.8 percent of their shots in the contest.

"That was the definition of winning ugly," head coach tad Boyle said after the game. 'We were not good offensively. But to figure out a way to win on a night when you're not functioning offensively this early in the season is a testament to our guys' will and their toughness."

Despite the rough offensive outing, the Buffaloes battled back after trailing for a good chunk of the first half. The score was tied 31-31 after the first 20 minutes of play.

Early on, Colorado moved the ball well, but was unable to translate that movement into points on the board.
We knew which ways we wanted to attack," said senior guard Derrick White. "We just [needed to] attack them inside and out, and that's what we tried to focus on."

The Buffs struggled to contain Seattle's big man as the first half began to unwind.

The Redhawks' 7-foot-3 center Aaron Menzies made CU pay early on, slamming down a few dunks to give his squad the edge. But as the clock continued to tick, the Buffs found a way to shut him down. Menzies finished with six points.

Defensively, Colorado was solid. The Buffaloes edged the Redhawks in the rebounding department, 55-35.
Senior forward Wesley Gordon led the charge for the Buffs defensively. He had 10 boards by halftime and finished the game with a double double, recording 14 rebounds and scoring 11 points in the win. He was second on the team with 30 minutes played.

"Wes is a good rebounder," Boyle said. "We need to get more guys doing it...we need multiple guys being a presence."

Monday night's game saw four Buffaloes score in double digits.

White led the team with 15 points.

Three-point shooting was the main blemish on Colorado's postgame stat sheet. The team failed to knock down a single shot from downtown in the first half, and on the night, made just 3-of-18.

"We got some good shots...that's the way offense goes," Boyle said. "Some nights they go in and some nights they don't."

Colorado's weak shooting led to a slow start for the team. Seattle commanded the lead for the better part of the first 12 minutes of play. The Buffs trailed 19-11 with half the time gone in the first half, when a fast break layup by sophomore guard Thomas Akyazili sparked an 8-0 run by CU to tie the game at 19.

The two teams fought hard for control of the game in the ensuing minutes, with Seattle's Brendan Westendorf knocking down a pair of free throws which tied the game at 31 heading into the second half.

A few minutes into the second half, the Buffaloes began to click offensively. With CU up 34-33, the Buffs began to make some baskets, and took a 47-35 lead before the Redhawks' Emmanuel Chibuogwu hit a three-pointed to give Seattle its first points in roughly five minutes.

From there, the Buffaloes maintained some distance from the Redhawks, going up 50-40 on a shot from senior guard/forward Xavier Johnson with about 11 minutes remaining.

Johnson finished with 13 points and 6 rebounds. His 13 points put him over the 1,000 total points mark, making him just the 33rd player in Colorado history to do so.

"It's a blessing to be able to play the game again coming off an Achilles tear," Johnson said. "I'm just happy to score the basketball."

But Seattle made the Buffs work for the win. The Redhawks battled back, lowering their deficit and coming within three points with six minutes left in the game.

But their effort fell short, as Colorado refused to allow Seattle's comeback to materialize.

Senior guard Josh Fortune hit two critical back-to-back three-pointers in the span of 39 seconds, as the clock dwindled to under three minutes in the game. His last shot from downtown put CU up 61-53 and got the 6,883 fans at Coors rowdy. Fortune finished the night with 12 points.

"It was big," White said. "[Seattle] was making a little bit of a run, so for him to step up when he's been struggling and the whole team [had] been struggling from deep, it [was] big for us."

The Redhawks would manage just one final basket and Colorado went on to win by 12.

"Overall, not our best performance," Boyle said. "The good thing about our team is our players know it. They know that they weren't very good tonight...we [have to] get better. We're not a good team right now. We're in the process of becoming one."

Colorado will host Louisiana-Monroe Thursday night at Coors. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MST.

Contact CU Independent Head Sports Editor Justin Guerriero at justin.guerriero@colorado.edu and follow him on Twitter @TheHungry_Hippo

I don't know how to vote on this poll. Are the Buffs overrated compared to my personal pre-season expectations for the team? Possibly. Are they overrated compared to the P12 media poll? No. The problem is that it's a largely new team. We have four fifth year seniors on the team - which is awesome - but two of them didn't play for the team last year. We're going to start slow as the team figures out what they do.

Honestly, ask me the question again in January when we're in conference play. If we're still playing the same as we did last night, I'll go with yes. But I think that we're going to be pretty happy then.

The completion of plays (shooting) was not good, but their offense against the zone was good and produced good looks and enabled team to hit offensive boards. The team will knock down those looks going forward. Team moves ball well and exhibits good chemistry.

The completion of plays (shooting) was not good, but their offense against the zone was good and produced good looks and enabled team to hit offensive boards. The team will knock down those looks going forward. Team moves ball well and exhibits good chemistry.

I agree. I thought they did a much better job of playing inside-out against zone, either through penetration or entry passes. Looked better than in previous years. Got to knock down shots, though, and I expect that they will.

haha that meme though...let's all just be content with the notion that Monday's 3-of-18 3PT performance was a fluke, never to be repeated again.

This is what Seattle does. Well-coached. They know who they are. Not concerned over a 12 point win over Seattle. If this continues against other lesser competition, then color me concerned. As for this game, exactly what I expected outside of Seattle making it a little too uneasy late.

haha that meme though...let's all just be content with the notion that Monday's 3-of-18 3PT performance was a fluke, never to be repeated again.

I don't think anyone on this board that follows hoops would say we won't have another bad shooting night ... it will happen, especially on the road. But if we get better at limiting turnovers, getting to the line, hitting the glass and playing D, poor outside shooting can be overcome in most games. Tad has won a lot of games with that formula and when he talks about us being not very good right now he's referring to more than how we shoot from beyond the arc. #tadball is a meme on this board for a reason.

I think that Tad loved this game. It reinforced that rebounding and defense don't take the night off. That you can shoot poorly all night and walk away with a win if you just rebound and defend.

I think that Tad loved this game. It reinforced that rebounding and defense don't take the night off. That you can shoot poorly all night and walk away with a win if you just rebound and defend.
At the very least he gets a teaching moment out of a game we won.

Back