What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs fought hard

Do you even YouTube, bro? Or is Twitter the only flavor of media that counts?
4:50 mark (and the whole presser) is about coaching responsibility.

Funny. Show me where that happened. At 4:50 he was on Leavitt. Show me where he talked about the offense. Waiting.

Okay then. I am caring about how the coaches take responsibility.

Funny how Leavitt quotes/tweets are posted on here isn't it?

Why there is a whole thread about him and what he says and does.
So, you've been saving this **** up just hoping for a loss?

Twitter is where high school kids go to tweet meaningless drivel, not where coaches 'take responsibility'. You take responsibility on the field, you take responsiblity by sending out a team the next week where issues have been fixed or at least improved. If we're judging coaches by what they do on twitter, then man Nick Saban is a **** coach.

I was not a big fan of the offensive game plan. The lack of production put added stress on the defense and special teams.

I hope the coaches learn and improve next week.

I agree with this. The offensive play calling reminded me of the same old boring offense that Lindgren has ran the last few years. When did we decide it was a good idea to go conservative after our success so far this season. I didn't see any of the dynamic offense that Chiv has injected into our O. No need to hit the panic button by any means. With that being said, I would have no problem letting Lindgren go and handing over the reigns to Chiaverini in the near future.

Imagine if Spoon had pulled in that INT, instead of that dude going over the top of him for the long reception that led to SC's last TD. The Buffs won the turnover battle 4-1 and lost the game by 4 points. They needed that 5th turnover. Players make plays. Players win games.

skidmark said
Seems to me MacIntyre is pretty plain spoken and rational about the loss. Not sure this meets YOUR standard, though.[/QUOTE]

You must have bad hearing. Perhaps you should re listen to it.

I mean seriously. Put it on the kids. Never once mentioned his stupid decision on the field goal, or how bad the play calling was. Never does.

skidmark said
Seems to me MacIntyre is pretty plain spoken and rational about the loss. Not sure this meets YOUR standard, though.

I mean seriously. Put it on the kids. Never once mentioned his stupid decision on the field goal, or how bad the play calling was. Never does.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps because the field goal wasn't a stupid decision; and throwing an assistant coach under the bus to placate you, and your ilk, isn't in the team's best interest.

I mean seriously. Put it on the kids. Never once mentioned his stupid decision on the field goal, or how bad the play calling was. Never does.
Can you elaborate about this stupid decision on the field goal? Other than continually saying "the playcalling was bad", can you provide exactly what you mean by that?

Why was the field goal stupid? There were 4+ min left, our defense had been doing a great job and it was 4th and 8. I will agree that in the first half play calling was weird. 2nd half was much better, execution just wasn't there.

Last edited:

Why was the field goal stupid? There were 4+ min left, our defense had been doing a great job and it was 4th and 8. I will agree that in the first half play calling was weird. 2nd half was much better, execution just wasn't there.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't stupid at all considering the situation. Everybody is an expert after the fact.

Imagine if Spoon had pulled in that INT, instead of that dude going over the top of him for the long reception that led to SC's last TD. The Buffs won the turnover battle 4-1 and lost the game by 4 points. They needed that 5th turnover. Players make plays. Players win games.

USC has the strongest, most physical receivers I have seen this year. That play and Adoree's INT were cases of - "they've got dudes and sometimes dudes make plays that you just have to tip your cap to." Buffs were in position and didn't do anything wrong. Physically, they just beat us at times in that game just like they'll do to professionals on Sundays this time next year.

Do you even YouTube, bro? Or is Twitter the only flavor of media that counts?
4:50 mark (and the whole presser) is about coaching responsibility.

Did they do the interview in a parking lot at the local dragstrip? FFS

USC has the strongest, most physical receivers I have seen this year. That play and Adoree's INT were cases of - "they've got dudes and sometimes dudes make plays that you just have to tip your cap to." Buffs were in position and didn't do anything wrong. Physically, they just beat us at times in that game just like they'll do to professionals on Sundays this time next year.
That's a bad feeling, you know what to do, it's just not enough sometimes. That drains you mentally and physically.

Can you elaborate about this stupid decision on the field goal? Other than continually saying "the playcalling was bad", can you provide exactly what you mean by that?

He doesn't know. He just hates Mac in the same irrational way that people hate political candidates. They can't articulate why they hate someone, they just know they do.

He doesn't know. He just hates Mac in the same irrational way that people hate political candidates. They can't articulate why they hate someone, they just know they do.

As I've said, in hindsight it was the wrong call. Easy to Monday morning quarterback it -- it didn't work. So in hindsight he should have gone for the 4th and 9 since the strategy used ended up in a loss. Going for it would likely have also failed, but there's still the possibility there in hindsight that it would have succeeded.

But, hell, even if he'd gone for it and we'd made a great play to get a 1st down and then scored a TD... we're still looking at needing to stop USC on the next drive to have an opportunity to go to OT with a chance to win. Either way, we still need that defensive stop that didn't happen.

As I've said, in hindsight it was the wrong call. Easy to Monday morning quarterback it -- it didn't work. So in hindsight he should have gone for the 4th and 9 since the strategy used ended up in a loss. Going for it would likely have also failed, but there's still the possibility there in hindsight that it would have succeeded.

But, hell, even if he'd gone for it and we'd made a great play to get a 1st down and then scored a TD... we're still looking at needing to stop USC on the next drive to have an opportunity to go to OT with a chance to win. Either way, we still need that defensive stop that didn't happen.

From reading this, it appears even hindsight is as clear as mud. But the coaches don't have the benefit of hindsight in the moment. So to condemn them as Mighty does, especially for a decision that was not clear cut, is just ridiculous. As you said, we were looking at a 4th and 9 with almost 5 minutes left in the game and two timeouts. I have no problem with the decision to kick the field goal, try to get the ball back and go for the win. I also would've had no problem with going for it. But if we have to get the stop either way, why not kick the field goal?

I understand the point you're making, but just because something didn't work, doesn't mean it was the wrong call, even in hindsight. Kicking the FG and playing defense with 4+ minutes left and time outs is the call 99/100 times at both college and NFL level.

Saying it was wrong in hindsight is the same as saying not going for it on every 4th down, or not attempting onside kicks every time was the wrong call in hindsight because we ultimately lost anyways.

If they had gone for the first down and TD on that drive, I would have liked to see them go for a 2-point conversion and the lead, instead of settling for a PAT and tie hoping for OT. In all three cases (ahead 22-21, tied 21-21, or trailing 21-20 or 21-14), with roughly 4 minutes left USC would be trying to move the ball either to try and win the game themselves, or run the clock out. Playing for OT in a game like that against a team like USC is a losing proposition.

I understand the point you're making, but just because something didn't work, doesn't mean it was the wrong call, even in hindsight. Kicking the FG and playing defense with 4+ minutes left and time outs is the call 99/100 times at both college and NFL level.

Pragmatically and specifically, it means exactly that. Bottom line: it didn't work in that instance. Doesn't mean that the next time he shouldn't do the same thing. But if you had an opportunity to go back and try to change something that didn't work to try something (anything) else, you'd take that chance. That's all I'm saying.

And there were plenty of people who were upset when they saw the FG team come out. It was a valid opinion before the play to think that you should go for it there. But it's kind of silly to go crazy about that one. One of those coin flip judgment calls like when you choose between kicking away or onside kicking with 2 1/2 minutes left and all your timeouts. Either way, odds are you're going to lose but either choice could result in an unlikely victory. Neither choice really calls for much second guessing.

If they had gone for the first down and TD on that drive, I would have liked to see them go for a 2-point conversion and the lead, instead of settling for a PAT and tie hoping for OT. In all three cases (ahead 22-21, tied 21-21, or trailing 21-20 or 21-14), with roughly 4 minutes left USC would be trying to move the ball either to try and win the game themselves, or run the clock out. Playing for OT in a game like that against a team like USC is a losing proposition.

Good point. So trying to win in regulation, you either go for the 4th & 9 and then go for 2 or you kick the FG and try to win it with a final drive TD. I agree with you. I would not have liked our odds in OT at all despite winning the scoreboard in the 2nd half.

Good point. So trying to win in regulation, you either go for the 4th & 9 and then go for 2 or you kick the FG and try to win it with a final drive TD. I agree with you. I would not have liked our odds in OT at all despite winning the scoreboard in the 2nd half.

Right on. If you're going to be aggressive (and go for it on 4th and 9), then go full-aggressive and try for a 2 pt conversion if you score. No point in being aggressive in one instance (going for it on 4th down), but then turning conservative right after (kicking PAT for a tie; i.e. playing "not to lose" rather than playing to win). Unfortunately I think Mac would have played to not lose, and tie the game rather than try for the lead. But if you play to win, then even if your 2 point try fails, there is still time to get a defensive stop and kick a FG. I just hate playing for OT on the road. It hardly ever works out in your favor.

Right on. If you're going to be aggressive (and go for it on 4th and 9), then go full-aggressive and try for a 2 pt conversion if you score. No point in being aggressive in one instance (going for it on 4th down), but then turning conservative right after (kicking PAT for a tie; i.e. playing "not to lose" rather than playing to win). Unfortunately I think Mac would have played to not lose, and tie the game rather than try for the lead. But if you play to win, then even if your 2 point try fails, there is still time to get a defensive stop and kick a FG. I just hate playing for OT on the road. It hardly ever works out in your favor.

Great example was Tennessee at Texas A&M. Vols had ridiculous momentum heading into OT. But home teams & their fans rally as if they got a new lease on life.

Back