What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Host Sand Volleyball Scrimmage

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
UTXQIRNFHEBOXOJ.20120920043706.jpg

articleImageBottom.jpg

Photo Courtesy: CUBuffs.com
Buffs Host Sand Volleyball Scrimmage

Release: 04/25/2013 Courtesy: Linda Sprouse, Assistant SID
buffaloextras.jpg

articleExtraDivider.jpg

articleExtraDivider.jpg

BOULDER – The University of Colorado volleyball team will wrap up its spring practices this week. After playing three weekends indoors, the Buffs will switch gears and hit the sand courts for one final competition.

CU will host Colorado State at the Oasis in Broomfield, Colo. on Friday, April 26, starting at 3:45 p.m. Admission and parking are free.

Sand volleyball has been labeled an emerging sport by the NCAA, and although CU and CSU do not yet sponsor it as a varsity sport, it has provided an exciting twist to this year’s spring drills since the Buffs have practiced on the sand and indoors.

2012 marked the inaugural season for sand volleyball on a collegiate level with 15 schools participating. In 2013, there were an additional 15 schools that added sand volleyball. The 2013 Collegiate Sand Volleyball National Championships will be May 3-5.

Colorado finished the 2012 season with a 14-18 overall record. The Buffs finished the non-conference season with a 10-2 record and got off to an 11-2 start to the season, one of the best ever in school history. CU finished the Pac-12 season 4-16, tying for 10[SUP]th[/SUP] in the final league standings.

from cubuffs.com

If anyone has a chance to go, I would definitely suggest it. It's a fun sport to watch.

How exactly does college sand volleyball work? Still doubles?

There are something like 5 doubles teams for each school and they each play best of 3 sets to 21 (I believe the final set is to 15). Each best of 3 win counts as a point for the team and I think they play to 7, but I'm not sure. They also sometimes play a doubles tournament which doesn't count for the team score.

I always wanted to sponsor a women's sand volleyball tourney and call it the "Sandy Vag Invitational".

If you haven't been to the sand volleyball place, Oasis, in Broomfield you have to go check it out. It is awesome

Back