What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs picked #12 in Pac 12 via ESPN

CU will get no respect until they prove they compete. I sincerely hope Embree can turn this thing around.

While I agree, they should be in the bottom of the conference until proven otherwise, I can also see why soem would be upset with a last place prediction. CU has never finished last in most of our lifetime, and we did compete with some teams last year beating AZ and Utah and really should have beaten Cal and Wazzu as well.

While I agree, they should be in the bottom of the conference until proven otherwise, I can also see why soem would be upset with a last place prediction. CU has never finished last in most of our lifetime, and we did compete with some teams last year beating AZ and Utah and really should have beaten Cal and Wazzu as well.

CU could have lost to Utah too.

How many of the so called experts picked CU to win the conference tournament and get to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament?

We were picked 10th and finished 6th in the conference. Got hot and won the conference tourney. That prediction wasn't that far off.

People around here act like the basketball team won the conference after being predicted 10th. That did not happen people.

We were picked 10th and finished 6th in the conference. Got hot and won the conference tourney. That prediction wasn't that far off.

People around here act like the basketball team won the conference after being predicted 10th. That did not happen people.

I don't know about that, we were in the race for the regular season conference crown all the way until the last couple games of the regular season. CU basketball really proved the experts way wrong, I'm not as confident in the football team even coming close to proving them wrong like the bball team did.

Can say the exact thing about every single athletic event as well.

CU has never finished last, and it's not gonna happen next year either.

Right because what's happened in the past is going to have a bearing on what happens on the field next year.

Thought it was pretty a decent write-up on the conference overall. Really, I think the bottom three teams in the South (us and the Zona teams) will all struggle mightily at times.

The conference also needs to get a whole lot better top to bottom.

The top is not actually the problem with the Pac-12 this year. USC will be ranked in the top 2 competing for a NC while Oregon will be in the top 10 competing for the Rose Bowl or some other BCS game. The real problem with the Pac-12 is the lack of depth outside of Oregon and USC this year. The only way the Pac-12 will get the respect that it deserves is when the Pac-12 starts winning OOC games and the middle of the Pac-12 teams step up.

Right because what's happened in the past is going to have a bearing on what happens on the field next year.

we won't know for sure until the end, thats why they play the games. However. we had these same arguments last year. The point is CU didn't just fall flat for every damn team in the conference last year and you have never seen CU finish last, so why should somebody expect that to change. It could happen yes, but some people like Embree have pride in that and will work on that not happening. I don't have very high hopes for next season, but I will be shocked with a last place finish. I'm thinking more like 10th or 11th. lol

If we finish last, it will be bigger than Mizzou ending our non-shutout streak. CU doesn't finish last, it will be sad if it happens (and it very well could).

If we finish last, it will be bigger than Mizzou ending our non-shutout streak. CU doesn't finish last, it will be sad if it happens (and it very well could).

What happened to you being a sun shine pumper?

Arizona will finish last. Rich Rod, in his first year, has struggled heavily. I'm thinking 9th ahead of ASU, UA, and OSU.

eh. finishing last. sometimes you gotta see the depths before you can climb back to the heights.

CU schedule is favorable this year. The Buffs looked bigger during spring ball. They now understand the new culture. Can't see the Buffs finishing last. The article is a good motivational tool.

CU schedule is favorable this year. The Buffs looked bigger during spring ball. They now understand the new culture. Can't see the Buffs finishing last. The article is a good motivational tool.

Speaking of tools.....I have been gone for a bit, so out of the loop, but why all the red (negative reps)? Did you **** in someone's cheerios?

Not surprised this post has prompted some heated discussion. Truth is we all know Embree has a major uphill battle this year. But like many before me, I do not believe we will finish last. There is too much pride in the program and according to Embree who never seems to bull***t anything, the team now has a winning mentality and a recognition of the preparation required.

We have a huge and pretty good incoming class and way more depth at QB than we have had in the past decade or so. The Utah game was huge getting that monkey off our back. I would bet a lot of $ we do not finish in last place but I wouldn't bet a penny we're headed to the rose bowl either-not this season.

In another thread, Embree was quoted as saying something like "We'll be faster but inexperienced. They may go left when they should have gone right, but they'll go left really fast".

Do you think the increased speed will help us win more games, even if they are less experienced?

In another thread, Embree was quoted as saying something like "We'll be faster but inexperienced. They may go left when they should have gone right, but they'll go left really fast".

Do you think the increased speed will help us win more games, even if they are less experienced?

It almost always does. That is why the BCS teams usually beat the non BCS teams, and are almost always favored.

We are still one if the slower PAC-12 teams, especially at the skill positions, so I doubt the increased speed (how much slower can you get than we were over the last few years?) is going to be that much of a difference.

I really don't expect to finish dead last in the conference. If that was going to happen, it would have happened last year.

It almost always does. That is why the BCS teams usually beat the non BCS teams, and are almost always favored.

True, but well disciplined teams with experience can beat more athletic teams (good coaching matters here too) as well. Even though we lack experience the speed will definitely help, but it's going to be on our coaching staff to get the team ready.

IMO, this is going to be a year that defines Embree's leadership and coaching ability. No, I'm thinking we are still going to suck and not do very well, but this is going to be a year where we are going to see if players always know their assignments and are mentally tough to battle back even when UO scores 2 minutes into the game at Autzen. Are we going to be demoralized like last year and the game will be over then? Are we going to try and battle like we did against USC and try and hit them first? Are we going to let games like UCLA happen again? We were the walking dead after 5 minutes. Disgusting. We can't have signs here and there of a team that wants to win sometimes. We can't just show up when we want to. The team has to be ready to compete every week. I don't care if it's Fresno or Oregon, from top to bottom the team needs to care. I don't care if it's a short week. I don't care if we had a bye.

Those are more important to me for the lifeline of the program. If we don't make serious progress on that Embree isn't going to be the man going forward. If a guy knows his assignment, but gets beat on a juke or the OT gets beat on a swim move that's ok to me (to a certain extent) as long as their technique isn't so sloppy that it doesn't happen over and over and over again. Are we going to trust our guys, but also give them support to make sure if they mess up we gave up a TD in a way that lets the opposing side know to continue to throw that way or the RB to go that way?

Everything Embree is doing right now is fine with me. People question the # of QBs we have, but if we finally have some D1 talent at QB and have a real QB competition then I'm ok with that. Embree is setting the tone, but now it's up to him to finish what he started.

Reactions: dio
Illegal procedures, false starts, delay of game, etc. Get used to hearing those followed by us moving back 5 yards. Innevitable with a team this young and inexperienced.

Illegal procedures, false starts, delay of game, etc. Get used to hearing those followed by us moving back 5 yards. Innevitable with a team this young and inexperienced.

Yeah - we've been so terrible with those penalties, that expect improvement even with a young team

True, but well disciplined teams with experience can beat more athletic teams (good coaching matters here too) as well. Even though we lack experience the speed will definitely help, but it's going to be on our coaching staff to get the team ready.

IMO, this is going to be a year that defines Embree's leadership and coaching ability. No, I'm thinking we are still going to suck and not do very well, but this is going to be a year where we are going to see if players always know their assignments and are mentally tough to battle back even when UO scores 2 minutes into the game at Autzen. Are we going to be demoralized like last year and the game will be over then? Are we going to try and battle like we did against USC and try and hit them first? Are we going to let games like UCLA happen again? We were the walking dead after 5 minutes. Disgusting. We can't have signs here and there of a team that wants to win sometimes. We can't just show up when we want to. The team has to be ready to compete every week. I don't care if it's Fresno or Oregon, from top to bottom the team needs to care. I don't care if it's a short week. I don't care if we had a bye.

Those are more important to me for the lifeline of the program. If we don't make serious progress on that Embree isn't going to be the man going forward. If a guy knows his assignment, but gets beat on a juke or the OT gets beat on a swim move that's ok to me (to a certain extent) as long as their technique isn't so sloppy that it doesn't happen over and over and over again. Are we going to trust our guys, but also give them support to make sure if they mess up we gave up a TD in a way that lets the opposing side know to continue to throw that way or the RB to go that way?

Everything Embree is doing right now is fine with me. People question the # of QBs we have, but if we finally have some D1 talent at QB and have a real QB competition then I'm ok with that. Embree is setting the tone, but now it's up to him to finish what he started.
It seems you are talking about discipline and attitude. I agree, the more disciplined team with the right attitude can beat a team like USC or Oregon, esp if the opponent is having an off day.

I do think the attitude will be better...most of Pigeon's attitude should be gone from the team, though there may be remnants. All the youth will be enculturated with traditional Buff attitude...can-do, hard-hitting swagger.

As far as discipline...I'm not as hopeful. We may do better on assignments and technique, but we were dead last (or first?) in penalties last year. Be very difficult beating even a second tier PAC XII team like Washington or Cal with all those penalties, esp. on the road. I know a few games (like CSU) Embree took off the reigns in regards to penalties, but we have been plagued so long with lack of discipline, esp on the OL, I have trouble having faith it will be better this year. Of course, like everything with this team, no one knows yet. Time will tell...

I just hope to not have the feeling I want to throw up as much this coming season as I did last season.

I like the direction we are headed....it just isn't going to be as quick as many would like...but I DO NOT think we finish last

Back