What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs to the Texas Bowl

So based on that "projection" they must have the big XII ranked as follows:

Missouri*
Oklahoma
Texas
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Colorado

*The BCS bowls aren't listed on there yet, but Missouri is the main Big XII team that is missing. Big XII bowl selection usually goes as follows (in this order):
BCS
Cotton
Holiday
Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)
Alamo
Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)
Insight
Independence
Texas

**** kneebraska! What makes them think they will finish better than the Buffs? Pretty ****ed up if you look at last season and new coach a Cornhole U. Football can not get here fast enough.

ANY bowl would be good but, i'd like the ncaa to cut back on the 150 bowls that we have in place now. I think 20 bowls is enough. 7 wins should be the minimum to win for a bowl game.

If your going to have this many bowl games than why not a playoff?

why not have the bowls? they make a lot of money for the schools. at least i thought that is why there are many.

The ncaa doesn't want a playoff and the pundits say it would diminish the regular season. Having 99% of teams in ncaa making a bowl game diminshes the value and accomplishment of making a bowl game.

Miami VS Notre Dame on Jan. 1st.:lol::lol::lol: Bullspit!! That will never happen both teams sucked ass last year. Both will do better but Jan 1st I think not.

**** kneebraska! What makes them think they will finish better than the Buffs? Pretty ****ed up if you look at last season and new coach a Cornhole U. Football can not get here fast enough.

Remember that final standings do not dictate which bowl teams go to. Once you get past the conference champ, it's open season. The order the bowls pick in is set but they have no restrictions on who they can pick. Assuming there isn't a huge difference between Nebraska and CU's final standing, Nebraska is likely to go to a better bowl. This is because they travel better and still have a higher national profile than CU.

The ncaa doesn't want a playoff and the pundits say it would diminish the regular season. Having 99% of teams in ncaa making a bowl game diminshes the value and accomplishment of making a bowl game.

No kidding, why don't we just bag the CSU game and start the "Rocky Mountain Bowl" at Invesco and the only teams that can play in it are CU, CSU, Air Force and Wyoming. Here are 6 bowls that are essentially for the local teams to make money:

Congressional Bowl
Dec. 20 / 9 p.m. ET Washington, D.C
Way Too Early Projection: Maryland vs. Navy

St. Petersburg Bowl
TBD Dec. 21 to 23 / 9 p.m. ET St. Petersburg, Fl.
Way Too Early Projection: South Florida vs. UCF

Motor City Bowl
Dec. 26 / 7:30 p.m. ET Detroit, Mich. ESPN
Way Too Early Projection: Northwestern vs. Western Michigan

New Mexico Bowl
TBA Albuquerque, N.M. ESPN
Way Too Early Projection: BYU vs. New Mexico State

Roady’s Humanitarian Bowl
TBA Boise, Idaho ESPN2
Way Too Early Projection: North Carolina vs. Boise State

Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl
Dec. 31 / 12 p.m. ET Fort Worth, Texas ESPN
Way Too Early Projection: TCU vs. Southern Miss

PLAYOFF! PLAYOFF! PLAYOFF! :bang:

ANY bowl would be good but, i'd like the ncaa to cut back on the 150 bowls that we have in place now. I think 20 bowls is enough. 7 wins should be the minimum to win for a bowl game.

If your going to have this many bowl games than why not a playoff?

You think teams pad their schedules now.... Cut it down to TWENTY (20) bowl games (there were 32 bowls games this past season) and you cut 24 teams out of the post-season, you will see a LOT of crappy non-conference scheduling.

I think the more bowl games the better. The schools, players, coaches and conferences LOVE the bowl game set up. The ONLY people clamoring for a playoff system are a small group of fans of big conferences. I never hear anybody from Conference USA or the Mid-American Conference or the Sunbelt Conference pleading for a playoff - because they know it would be of absolutely no benefit to them - and much more likely it would damage them more than it would help them.

You think teams pad their schedules now.... Cut it down to TWENTY (20) bowl games (there were 32 bowls games this past season) and you cut 24 teams out of the post-season, you will see a LOT of crappy non-conference scheduling.

I think the more bowl games the better. The schools, players, coaches and conferences LOVE the bowl game set up. The ONLY people clamoring for a playoff system are a small group of fans of big conferences. I never hear anybody from Conference USA or the Mid-American Conference or the Sunbelt Conference pleading for a playoff - because they know it would be of absolutely no benefit to them - and much more likely it would damage them more than it would help them.

You're operating under the assumption that the two are incompatable. I would disagree with that assessment. I believe you can have both a playoff and a bowl season.

You're operating under the assumption that the two are incompatable. I would disagree with that assessment. I believe you can have both a playoff and a bowl season.

I don't think so.

Bowls are all about the atmosphere. They are about the teams going out and doing things in the community for a few days. (Remember how CU went and delivered food or whatever it was when they were down in Shreveport last winter?) They are an event. There are parades and parties and festivals and all kinds of things for both the schools and the local community to enjoy. Teams arrive a week early, go to local children's hospitals, etc.

Take away the "bowl" and make it "round 1 of the three week playoff" and it shrivels up and dies completely.

I don't think so.

Bowls are all about the atmosphere. They are about the teams going out and doing things in the community for a few days. (Remember how CU went and delivered food or whatever it was when they were down in Shreveport last winter?) They are an event. There are parades and parties and festivals and all kinds of things for both the schools and the local community to enjoy. Teams arrive a week early, go to local children's hospitals, etc.

Take away the "bowl" and make it "round 1 of the three week playoff" and it shrivels up and dies completely.

Again, you're assuming that you'd take away all of the bowls and insert a playoff system in it's place. What's to prevent a playoff system with 16 teams and the rest of the bowls are still around, kind of like the NIT? The 16-team bracket could be played through the existing bowls, but still have all that stuff you're talking about. It's not like that's all going to shrivel up and blow away.

Assuming there isn't a huge difference between Nebraska and CU's final standing, Nebraska is likely to go to a better bowl. This is because they travel better and still have a higher national profile than CU.

For shame. The nibblets DO NOT travel better; although it is a generally accepted fact that the 'holers are more highly motivated to flee their hostile and bleak ****hole of a state.

A higher national profile after Clownahan rode aNUs into the ground?:puke:

The playoff system will never happen until the Big 10 (Should be Big 11) and the Pac 10 will give up the Rose bowl. They love playing the Rose bowl because of the history there.

For shame. The nibblets DO NOT travel better; although it is a generally accepted fact that the 'holers are more highly motivated to flee their hostile and bleak ****hole of a state.

A higher national profile after Clownahan rode aNUs into the ground?:puke:

Totally agree. I know they will play 4 home non-conference games again but I believe they did that last year as well. While Bopeep will be an upgrade over time, it will take time. They may be a tad better than last year, but it will take time to adjust. Just do not see them going bowlin next year. It would be great to have CU once again beat them in the last game and keep them home for the holidays for two consecutive seasons.

Again, you're assuming that you'd take away all of the bowls and insert a playoff system in it's place. What's to prevent a playoff system with 16 teams and the rest of the bowls are still around, kind of like the NIT? The 16-team bracket could be played through the existing bowls, but still have all that stuff you're talking about. It's not like that's all going to shrivel up and blow away.

Exactly, and let's not act like the current bowls are landmark events or anything... what percentage of the stadium is usually full for the Emerald Nuts San Francisco Bowl, 15, maybe 20%? Excluding rare occasions when a bowl game lands 2 programs that travel EXTREMELY well (like Michigan vs. Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl a few years back), there isn't high demand for tickets to any of the bowl games except for the national championship. As an example, back in 2001 my buddies and I road tripped down to Tempe for the Fiesta Bowl and we ended up with a spare ticket... despite the fact that we were flagging people down outside the stadium for half an hour, the most we were able to get for it was half of face value. HALF! For a game featuring the #3 and #4 ranked teams in the BCS! :wow:

I'm not a big fan of the 16 team playoff because it would dissolve a lot of that "if we lose this one game our entire season is completely ****ed" aspect of the regular season (which is of course why the college football regular season is the best regular season in all of sports), but a +1 system (or a 4 team playoff, whatever you want to call it) would be great.

I'm not a big fan of the 16 team playoff because it would dissolve a lot of that "if we lose this one game our entire season is completely ****ed" aspect of the regular season (which is of course why the college football regular season is the best regular season in all of sports), but a +1 system (or a 4 team playoff, whatever you want to call it) would be great.

I still don't understand the argument that a playoff system would devalue the regular season. There still has to be some sort of ranking / winning your conference aspect to get you IN the playoff. We are only talking about 8 - 16 teams.

A playoff could be played within the confines the current bowls still with all the hoopla leading up to all the games. The exception would probably be the semi-final and final which would be made up for by the media / public hype and could be rotated.

The 6-6 and 7-5 teams could still have their Emerald Nuts and Car Car Bowls as a consolation prize for a decent season. Just my opinion...

I still don't understand the argument that a playoff system would devalue the regular season. There still has to be some sort of ranking / winning your conference aspect to get you IN the playoff. We are only talking about 8 - 16 teams.

You don't understand it because it's an argument based on a false premise. It's the chewbacca defense. It makes the assumption that something bad will happen when there's no evidence that it ever would.

Back