What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs vs TCU - Sept 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year, TCU had some very good upperclassmen, Dykes snagged some key components from the portal, Max Dugan caught fire, and they did get a few favorable bounces along the way, going 5-1 in games decided by one score. I’m not sure I’d label that a fluke, though.

I think it’s reasonable to assume that with the personnel losses, TCU will fall back some from being a national title runner-up. With the #1 portal class and new coaches, I think CU will rise from being a national joke. How much TCU falls back and how much CU rises will be interesting to watch. I expect a good competitive opening game.

Not a fluke, but absolutely a lot of fortunate circumstances that let TCU achieve its highest potential upside on the season. Lightning rarely strikes twice. I expect a significant step back.
They can thank CU. We injured their starting QB that allowed Duggan to come in. We don’t do that, who knows what happens.

I understand USC had a much higher baseline talent level when Riley took over, but if you are what your record says you are, that was still a 4-8 team in 2021 that turned into an 11-1 team and played for the Pac 12 Championship in 2022.

What were the biggest additions to that team that allowed them to have such a dramatic turnaround? A Heisman caliber (winning) QB transfer, a Biletnikoff WR transfer, among other WR transfers that created tons of quality options and depth, and a really good RB transfer. They added some talented players on defense, but their defense was garbage and I would say they won in spite of that unit.

Shedeur is obviously an unknown at the P5 level, but most of the country is sleeping on him as one of the top QBs in the country. CU is going to have the best QB on the field in probably 10 or 11 of the 12 matchups in 2023, and I think people underestimate the impact that's going to have on CU's success.
They also had a pretty experienced coach.

Bulls**t. Nebraska 2001.
That Nebraska team was outscored 99-50 in its last two games.

TCU got some great breaks throughout their season but they were not flawed. They beat a damn good Michigan team in the semifinal. Probably not the second best team last year but certainly not their fault how it all played out.

For those that have a 247 subscription, you can read that the TCU fan base is very bullish on this upcoming season and feel the roster is stacked at every position now.

I don't have any animosity toward TCU fans. I know it's crushing to lose game one when fans have expectations of a special year. Hope they get through it.

That Nebraska team was outscored 99-50 in its last two games.

TCU got some great breaks throughout their season but they were not flawed. They beat a damn good Michigan team in the semifinal. Probably not the second best team last year but certainly not their fault how it all played out.
Hell no, it wasn't their fault. To their credit, they took advantage of the situation. Also, I thought Michigan was gonna beat the **** outta them. They deserved to get where they got.

Hell no, it wasn't their fault. To their credit, they took advantage of the situation. Also, I thought Michigan was gonna beat the **** outta them. They deserved to get where they got.
Ultimately, the playoff has pretty much eliminated teams like the '01 Nebraska team from making the national championship game. That Nebraska team was flawed, but so was the BCS. No team in today's era is going to fluke their way into a national championship game. Even if you somehow make the playoff without going to your league championship game, you still have to beat a top 4 team. If the playoff would have been in place in 2001 that Nebraska team would have gotten smoked in the final four.

I'm googling that
Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

For those that have a 247 subscription, you can read that the TCU fan base is very bullish on this upcoming season and feel the roster is stacked at every position now.

1680191159261.png

Lol what the **** is this ****? "it's positive that we lost Duggan and Riley"

Like us before last year. "We don't need Gonzo and Rice!"

Re: the fluke national title thing - even the 2001 Nubs (retch) didn't suck. They weren't the #2 team in the country, but I think there's a big jump between saying a team lucked their way into a title game and saying their season was a fluke. TCU was a good team, and they were way better at the end of the season than they were against us. Had a few games around the country gone differently, maybe they don't get to the title game, but they were absolutely one of the best teams in the country at the end of the year, and I don't think it was bull**** that they went to the CFP. Once they were there, they beat Michigan fair and square.

I think I said time after time last year, the entire season was about who was going to lose to UGA in the national championship game, and that's the way it played out.

Re: the fluke national title thing - even the 2001 Nubs (retch) didn't suck. They weren't the #2 team in the country, but I think there's a big jump between saying a team lucked their way into a title game and saying their season was a fluke. TCU was a good team, and they were way better at the end of the season than they were against us. Had a few games around the country gone differently, maybe they don't get to the title game, but they were absolutely one of the best teams in the country at the end of the year, and I don't think it was bull**** that they went to the CFP. Once they were there, they beat Michigan fair and square.

I think I said time after time last year, the entire season was about who was going to lose to UGA in the national championship game, and that's the way it played out.
I’m completely biased as a CU fan but Nebraska didn’t even win their division and got obliterated on national TV in their last game but still found a back door into the BCS title game - that’s fluky to me. Maybe it’s more of a BCS voting fluke than a season long performance fluke but still, f**k them.

I’m completely biased as a CU fan but Nebraska didn’t even win their division and got obliterated on national TV in their last game but still found a back door into the BCS title game - that’s fluky to me. Maybe it’s more of a BCS voting fluke than a season long performance fluke but still, f**k them.

It was bull**** - no doubt. I'm just pointing out that they were 10-1. They earned the right to be considered even if they didn't deserve to actually be in the game.

I was certainly pissed off that they got in. Didn't they change the rules the next year so that wouldn't happen? Something to that effect. I'm almost certain that they did and we would have gotten in had they used the new rules. As it was, I think it was a couple years later that we got an Alabama-LSU rematch in the BCS championship which was 100% bull**** given that LSU had already beaten them.

I've always said though - Miami would have beaten the **** out of us too. That team was a juggernaut.

I will say this about TCU, they had a terrific 2023 recruiting class on the defensive line. I was envious.

TCU should be good next year, but a lot depends on the QB position. Chandler didn’t seem good to me last year playing CU, but the fans mostly seem to think he is better than Duggan.

That was the year that truly proved the BCS was extremely flawed and not a good system.

I will say this about TCU, they had a terrific 2023 recruiting class on the defensive line. I was envious.

TCU should be good next year, but a lot depends on the QB position. Chandler didn’t seem good to me last year playing CU, but the fans mostly seem to think he is better than Duggan.
The backend of their schedule is brutal, but their first 5 or so games should set them up for at least a 7-9 win season.

If you look at AP & Coaches Polls from 2001, a 4-team playoff (especially with how the CFB gives precedence to conference champs) would have likely been: 1) Miami, 2) Oregon and 3/4 probably would have been CU and Florida but there were some others, including Nebraska that had a case. There was a lot of shakeup the last couple weeks with Nebraska, Tennessee and Texas taking losses.

damn that 2001 Miami team was rolling people, but still struggled to get fans in the stands for games

39k vs Rutgers
36k vs Troy St
31k vs Temple
low 50s vs Virginia Tech and Syracuse (ranked back then)
high 70s vs Washington, I remember that game being super exciting going into it. UW had won the year before in Seattle, but Ricky had been at the helm for too long and the second Ferrari he got keys to was veering toward the trees again

damn that 2001 Miami team was rolling people, but still struggled to get fans in the stands for games

39k vs Rutgers
36k vs Troy St
31k vs Temple
low 50s vs Virginia Tech and Syracuse (ranked back then)
high 70s vs Washington, I remember that game being super exciting going into it. UW had won the year before in Seattle, but Ricky had been at the helm for too long and the second Ferrari he got keys to was veering toward the trees again
I'm used to hearing "Let's Go Hokies" chants on the TV background when VT plays at Hard Rock Stadium. Their fans have never show up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back