What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Burks next season

tante

Club Member
Club Member
anyone else catch Doug Goettlib on the drive (D-Mac, Stink and big Al)? They asked him questions about Colorado not making it and then Big Al brought up having two NBA players on the roster and Doug says who is the 2nd. Apparently he didn't think too much about Higgins in the NBA, and said he sees Burks as a late 1st round pick. Burks will have to play a 2 in the NBA and his outside shot is not there yet and could really use another year in college. I know it is just one guys opinion, but he does make a pretty good point.

I think Tad needs to sell Burks on another year and maybe even tweak the offense a bit around Burks so he does less driving and shoots more from the outside. Imagine this starting 5 next year:

Brown
Burks
Dre
Dufault
Harris Tunks

that is a damn good starting 5 and they have a good chance to compete well in the PAC:12

I've heard all kinds of things about Burks from "he is projected at 9" to "late first round." I've heard some "experts" say he needs another year. The consensus is that the NBA drafts more on potential. But its hard to go to the NBA and gain experience if you are sitting on the bench. I'd say one more year would benefit his game. Oh, and Gottlieb is a jerk.

I think you are going to have to pick Dre/Dufault, and then one of the Point Guards (hopefuly Spencer, and not Tomlinson) will take the 5th spot. My guess is Dre will get the starting job most of the time, but probably not for every game.

But that brings up a good point, with burks coming back, we would have a great starting 5, and we would have a respectible depth. Again, the big thing I see us missing is a 3pt shooter

All I know is if Burks sticks around next year, Colorado is immediately a contender for Pac 12 championship at the least.

The only positive to come out of this whole tourney thing is that Mr Burks may see this as a lot of unfinished business and stick around to be part of building something sustained.

a guy can hope right?

Almost impressive than that would be our bench. People like Shannon Sharpe, Booker, Dinwiddie, Ben Mills. There could be some definite strength.

I think you are going to have to pick Dre/Dufault, and then one of the Point Guards (hopefuly Spencer, and not Tomlinson) will take the 5th spot. My guess is Dre will get the starting job most of the time, but probably not for every game.

But that brings up a good point, with burks coming back, we would have a great starting 5, and we would have a respectible depth. Again, the big thing I see us missing is a 3pt shooter

I actually see Nate moving into Levi's sharpshooter role. He is hitting 45% on his 3s, but he is kinda timid to shoot the Ball. He would be the perfect 7 or 8 off the bench to come in and drain a 3.

If I was Boyle, I would sell Burks on playing in the Pac-12 as being a positive for Burks' eventual transition from college to the pro game. The big positive about going to the Pac-12 is that Burks will have to face many new teams he is not familar with and you could say the same thing for any NBA rookie in their first year.

If I was Boyle, I'd tell Burks that if he's a lottery pick then he's got to go. If he's not going to be in the lottery but he'll be in the 1st round, he's got to strongly consider it. We are talking about millions of dollars here.

If I was Boyle, I'd tell Burks that if he's a lottery pick then he's got to go. If he's not going to be in the lottery but he'll be in the 1st round, he's got to strongly consider it. We are talking about millions of dollars here.

I agree on the lottery pick part. If a team uses a lottery pick on you, then they are willing to invest the time to let your develop your game. If you are a late 1st round or 2nd round pick, then your chances get severely limited.

As much as I don't like it, I have to agree. Staying in school usually hurts NBA prospects' draft position. Scouts get all crazy about the next great HS prospect or the next Euro star, and experienced NCAA players slip through the cracks. If you can get that first guaranteed contract, it's really worth a serious look at jumping.

If Burks is projected in the late first round and the uncertainty surrounding the current CBA expiring on June 30, it may be wise to stick around for another year. I'm obviously biased, but that is something I would take a serious look at.

I have a good feeling that Burks will be back next season. Missing out on the NCAA tourney could end up being a blessing in disguise.

I have a good feeling that Burks will be back next season. Missing out on the NCAA tourney could end up being a blessing in disguise.

i think the same thing however I am really afraid he is going to be a lottery pick. if thats the case he doesnt really have a choice

Burks could use another season to fill-out physically, in addition to working on his jump shot. He still looks like a kid. That said, I think he's gone.

If he goes in the back end of the lottery were talking about roughly $1.5 million per year with 3 years guaranteed. Its a nice amount of money but nothing to hang your hat on. Regardless of where he is going to be picked, he would be best served to return for another year and develop his game that way he is better prepared when he reaches the NBA. This would presumabley increace the likelehood that he would be successful in the NBA and get a big time contract down the road. Remember Chauncey came out early and spent the first part of his career as an average player bouncing around to different teams.

Give the kid his owne key to the new practice facility and get coach Blacken to give him a personalized routine to bulk him up by 20lbs. That fall he took against KU was hard to look at. Imagine what could happen if he tries to drive in the lane against a guy like Howard. He needs a little more size to avoid injury. Another year to develop his game and bulk up plus more exposure with playing in the LA market. That's what I'd try to sell him on.

Give the kid his owne key to the new practice facility and get coach Blacken to give him a personalized routine to bulk him up by 20lbs. That fall he took against KU was hard to look at. Imagine what could happen if he tries to drive in the lane against a guy like Howard. He needs a little more size to avoid injury. Another year to develop his game and bulk up plus more exposure with playing in the LA market. That's what I'd try to sell him on.

Whoa...you are onto something...Burks having all THAT time to improve his game in the new practice facility? That's another plus for him staying but all we can do is the best for Burks even if he goes to the NBA early.

tifwiw, but some boosters who sit near me said that they got a 2nd hand report (friend of a friend type thing) that Burks told friends this week that he's coming back.

Based on the timing, I think that if he said it that it was while he was emotional about the NCAA snub. He does really like playing with Shannon and Dre, though.

tifwiw, but some boosters who sit near me said that they got a 2nd hand report (friend of a friend type thing) that Burks told friends this week that he's coming back.

Based on the timing, I think that if he said it that it was while he was emotional about the NCAA snub. He does really like playing with Shannon and Dre, though.

Ya know, Nik, I really hope you're right. Those 3 could be a dynamic core, and add in Carlon Brown.....wow. Resolve the post position and this could be a dangerous team.

If Alec is going nba-lottery for sure, well, good luck to him. If not, I hope he makes the right decision.

may your friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend be correct

Boyle is in a tough situation here

If the kid is being hyped as a lottery pick with NBA people, he has to tell the kid to go try and see how the camps go. Burks can always pull his name out of the draft and come back for one more year.

If their is no labor security (more than likely) and he is projected late first round/early second (no guarantee) he needs to come back.

I think certified lotto pick then he has to go. It would be wrong for Boyle to say otherwise. If however he is on the outside of the top 10 in the first round he should stay, especially with the labor issue thats going on. I would love to see him in black and gold again next year. We would be a force to be reckoned with not just in the PAC 12 but in the country.

Probably one of the few good things that missing the tournament did. I think he comes back with the uncertainty of the NBA next season and being able to win the Pac 12 and make a solid run in the tournament.

may your friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend be correct

You mean "friend's friend's friend." :smile2:

At any rate I wouldn't hang my hat on what he said during an emotional moment. He'll have a lot of info to process.

Back